The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #16
be-bop
Operations Operative

Roxy Music/The Sharks around about 1971/72..
There used to be a bar near where I lived that had live music and I remember seeing the Average White Band,Frankie Miller,Simple Minds way before they were famous.
The wildest gig I was ever at was The Dammed headlining with the Dead Boys from New York as support, ended up a mass battle between punks and skinheads Happy days!!!
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #17
FloridaDragon
... Maintaining ....

Kiss at Red Rock Amphitheatre back when I was probably 7 or 8 years old ...next was Toto in the Pensacola Municipal Auditorium around 74-75....last concert held there since the vibration was shaking it off it's pilings and they were afraid it was going to fall into Pensacola Bay. Don't remember the Kiss concert that well but the Toto one was fantastic....had some early generation lasers which totally blew me away.
FloridaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #18
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mine was also AC/DC when I was 16. Taking SEPTA from Ambler to the stadium and back alone was a new experience.

That one was followed by a long string of hard rock concerts (a miracle I can still hear). I began wearing earplugs so that the tinnitus wouldn't bother me the next day for the Billy Idol (Hell Freezes Over) concert in Norfolk Arena circa 1988. This concert thing culminated with the last concert I went to, Yanni, with Dagney. Amazingly, I enjoyed it. The therapy has been making progress.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hot Tuna, Humble Pie & Mountain.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hey, I just bought an instructional video from Jack Casady, bassist for Hot Tuna. I haven't watched it yet... too busy screwing off.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:44 AM   #21
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Don't know if this counts, but my mother worked at the local cinema as the book-keeper. As TV started to take a hold in the late 50's the cinema occasionally held live concerts - I managed to sneak in about 15 minutes of one with Lonnie Donegan and Tommy Steele once.

I was only about 9 or 10, and I think it must have put me off for a while as the next event wasn't until I was 16 and riding around on a chrome-bubbled Vespa 160GS (picture not of mine, sadly - used to have a pic, but think it went the way of many that my parents had when they had the odd clearout), and was the original Moody Blues with singer Denny Laine in Balham South London (still have the 45 rpm record 'Go Now' up in the loft somewhere...)
Old 03-23-2006, 05:40 AM   #22
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
You are so much cooler than me.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #23
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
It was far from my first concert, but I saw Jorma (from Hot Tuna) at a small nightclub/bar a few years back. He was amazing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #24
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

speaking of Hot Tuna... my first Hollywood Bowl concert was Jefferson Airplane and The Greatful Dead (lightshow by Headlights). IIRC it was 1967.

They cut the power to the stage midway into The Dead because people had gone up onto the stage to dance. It was cut again during The Airplanes set.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Twisted Sister. Dokken was the front band.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #26
jojo
is anyone home?

3 dog night at 11. doobie bro's at 14. the commodores with lionel richie at 18. a friend worked at the stadium and we had front row, center seats, i was mad at my boyfriend and (a bad week) and sat there and scowled the whole time! lionel richie kept looking at me trying to get me to smile and i just wouldn't. at one point one of the other band members jumped on the chair next to me (occupant was up dancing, i was still sulking) and i got pissed cuz he pinched my leg with his foot. what a bitch!
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #27
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Foo Fighters.

My younger brother was actually the one begging to be allowed to go, and my mother told me she'd buy my ticket for me if I would go with him. Don't know what good she really thought I'd do, since as she should have suspected we separated immediately inside the doors and only met up again at the end. Actually, we did cross paths once--when he kicked me in the head while crowdsurfing.

Fun concert though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #28
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

just live music?or rock ROCK!!!!!! show?

live?(other than 'garage' or bluegrass bands) blackflag/whiteflag

ROCK!!!! areana style? Billy Idol

yeah, sad I know
Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #29
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

The first was when I was ,,,,, Well I don't rember but I got dragged to Sonny and Cher , Shanana , The Carpenters , etc,,,,,
The first I wanted to see was The Blues Brothers , but I used to slide my young self in to some local clubs and saw George Thourogood and the Destroyers ( they ROCKED that club ) and a few others .
Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #30
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
You are so much cooler than me.
I was trying to figure out how to say exactly this sort of thing, then I read your post. This would then, in turn, make you cooler than me.