The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
Flint
Snowflake

Panasonic Portable 500-Disc Changer
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
rkzenrage

The Zen (Creative) is the only way to go. I have done a ton of research and messed with other's quite a bit.
I don't use their software to burn or load... I have always preferred Windows Media and other, free, jukebox software... though I don't think the Creative software is that bad. I just prefer others. Mostly I just burn from Windows Media Player or download direct from online and drag-n'-drop. It is too easy.
I have the 3g model now, but have had others in the past.
You could not give me an iPlod now.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 12-12-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #18
glatt

I got the ipod video last Christmas. 30G I think. Anyway, as good as it is, there are some things I HATE about it. The track wheel is too sensitive, so it's hard to select a track without it jumping at the last instant to a neighboring track and playing what you don't want. Imagine a sticky mouse, and how annoying that would be. The track wheel is like that. Also, the finish scratches FAR to easily. It's unforgivable really, how easily it scratches. I got a Blackberry at around the same time, and the Blackberry rides around in my pocket with change and other stuff constantly rubbing against it. The Blackberry still looks almost as good as new. The ipod has been babied by me and it looks like crap now. Other than that, I like the ipod a lot.

I have no experience with the other stuff out there, but there is a lot of other stuff out there for less than the ipod.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #19
rkzenrage

I may have to take back my compliment Flint...

Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

What's your budget?

Our kids were asking for ipods, but the cheapest non-shuffle ipod is more than we're willing to spend, and none of us like the whole shuffle concept. It was telling, though, to compare the kids--it's was very clear that with our daughter (6th grade) it's a fashion/status issue, while with our son (2nd grade) it's a listening to music he wants to listen to issue.

We're getting the kids these, but then again our main criterion was "cheap enough so we won't scream too loudly if they lose it/step on it/decide to trade it to their 'best friend' for a pack of chewing gum." (I hope this isn't a consideration for Mr. Rat. )

A lot of the models have changed, but I think you still have to do some thinking on the flash vs. hard disk issue--it's almost pointless to compare between the two categories.

Oh, and I came awfully damned close to getting these. I may still order one just to see how they are. (Yes, I know there's no memory, but 1GB SD cards are going for a song these days.)

Last edited by SteveDallas; 12-12-2006 at 01:45 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #21
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

many cell phones now include MP3 players, I've got the LG VX8100 and like it a lot.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #22
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

An advantage of working at the university is that we get elinks to journals/magazines. But for consumer reports, there is an embargo on this until the issue is 3 monthes old. I found out that CR just did an article last month comparing MP£ players. I know TW quotes them all the time. I don't suppose anyone has a subscription and would get this article and email it to me? I#ll check the library for the hard copy. What I am interested in is the little red/black circle chart.

He wants to get a dock so that he can listen to it in his office. Ideally it would be able to also fit onto the arm so that it could be worn for workouts.

I don't care about coolness, I want good quality without getting my pocketbook raped. Because we would share it, and use it for working out, I would likely get an extended warranty if there was one available.

I didn't even know there were 2 storage types, and as of now, have no preference. Prolly whatever seems like it will hold up better. The flash drive type likely would handle running better than the hard drive type, yes?

Title:Portable digital players.
Source: Consumer Reports; Nov2006, Vol. 71 Issue 11, p38-39, 2p, 6c
Document Type: Product Review
Subject Terms: *HEADPHONES
*EVALUATION
*MULTIMEDIA systems
*MP3 players
*DIGITAL music players
*IPOD (Digital music player)
Abstract: This article evaluates portable digital music players. Apple iPods are compared to other brands, including Creative Zen Vision M and SanDisk e270. Headphones are discussed.
ISSN: 0010-7174
Accession Number: 22832976
Persistent link to this record: http://proxy.lib.uiowa.edu/login?url...ite=ehost-live
Database Academic Search Elite
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #23
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
--snip--
Oh, and I came awfully damned close to getting these. I may still order one just to see how they are. (Yes, I know there's no memory, but 1GB SD cards are going for a song these days.)
I respect your technical chops, SD, and your family situation resembles my own. So naturally I wanted to see what tempted you. Alas.

Please fix the link.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #24
LabRat

Hmmmmmm....

Don't care about the color screen, won't be playing videos. Really like the rechargable batteries, can you buy a second set so you always have some charged? (Like I do for my dig. cam.) Also like it has a radio option, but I guess most do these days, yes? What is a microSD slot?

Sansa c240 MP3 Player 1GB

Price: $79.99

Features

Plays MP3, WMA, WAV and protected WMA DRM
By capacity, holds large number of MP3/WMA songs and hours of playback (see above capacity matrix)
Affordable, compact MP3 Player with color screen
- Color screen (up to 64,000 colors) displays cover art and photo thumbnails
Easy-to-use interface for sorting and playing back your music
Digital FM tuner with 20 preset stations
FM ‘on the fly’ recording and voice recording
Supports Subscription Music Stores
High-speed USB2.0 for fast and easy file transfer
Rechargeable & Removeable Battery
MicroSD™ Slot
Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #25
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
What is a microSD slot?
A slot to hold an extra memory card of the microSD variety.

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #26
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

BigV, thanks for the heads-up... try it again!

LR, the MicroSD slot lets you add a memory card for more capacity. MicroSD refers to the type of memory card it takes. They also make a model with 2GB builtin.

Disclaimer: I bought this on the basis of reviews & price. I still haven't tried it out yet. We're planning to wrap them up fully charged and pre-loaded with some music, so I'll post my impressions after I get around to that--though it may not be until late next week!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
LabRat

I am checking out the accessories. Did you get any? They don't have an arm band though. Damnit.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #28
LabRat

When you 'compare retailers' several come up, all below SanDisk's listed retail price on the website. Where did you buy yours?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #29
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Best Buy--they have it for $70 this week. And I had a 12% off coupon that they emailed me which I'd be happy to to pass on, but you have to sign up for their Reward Zone to use it. (Yes, I drank the Best Buy kool aid.) I didn't buy any accessories.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #30
LabRat

I like the touchpad on the Zen Micro. We joined reward zone when we bought our TV eons ago. Huh. I'll have to go to BB to check them out. Thanks for the savings offer, I might take you up on it. Back to researching...