The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #16
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
I think that's too often true in business.

In relationships smart people seek out other smart people, because they find stupid people dreary to be around.
I just find deary people stupid to be around.

People just seek out like minds to be around. I mean dumb people seek out dumb people too ya know
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I have been reading and reading and writing and writing and Baked Alaska'd in other people's essence of brilliance-ness...
Sorry, nobody who pops up with a metaphor that vivid is going to convince me she's a dummy. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
NoBoxes

There is intellect and then there is common sense, common sense being the ability to apply one's intellect to resolve a practical situation. Some people have both, some have more of one than the other, and some people have neither. Even those with neither may have family and friends who can largely make up the difference and assure them a meaningful quality of life. Count your blessings.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 PM   #19
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

What's painful to me is when folks consistently underrate themselves.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:13 AM   #20
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Ya know what's painful, I mean REALLY painful? Knowing that you are not a brilliant person ..... I am in awe of them and I wish I was like them, but I'm not and I never, ever will be and laydees and gentlemen--THAT is painful..... i never thought I was brilliant, but, i thought I was middling good. And, I'm not.
Brianna, will you please get over it, once and for all? You always manage to feel sorry for yourself, no matter what the subject, you are forever looking for a way to UNFAVORABLY compare yourself and so you can say you never "measure up". Stop it, would you? We all have to play with what we are dealt. The truth is in the details. It's what we do with what we have that makes or breaks us, and that has nothing whatsoever to do with a competition between you and everybody else. If you are never confronted with somebody so much more intelligent and accomplished than you are, or with a situation beyond your abilities, how do you expect to LEARN anything? Humility is one thing, being determined to feel inferior is something else. You were on the way to somewhere better, weren't you? Then get on with it!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:49 AM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I didn't mean to come across as feeling sorry for myself, but in retrospect I guess I did sound whiney. Gads, that IS annoying. I guess I was pondering why some people are so freaking smart and others-the majority?-are not and why is that? Why are some people so blazingly brilliant? Genetics? That can't be it because a lot of these smarties come from very humble stock. Education? No, that's not it either. Have they been 'touched by an angel'? (and don't say 'well, if they HAVE been touched by an angel they need to lawyer up') That's what I'm wondering. Sorry for the pity-party mentality. I really don't come across that way IRL.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #22
Flint
Snowflake

...you know what Doctor Phil would say: when you got a racoon at the front door and a possum at the back . . . no, wait, that's not it . . . ummm . . . okay: if you take a rattle snake on a roller coaster . . . you . . . ummm . . . okay, I got nothin'
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #23
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

My observation is that it is the parents who are mostly responsible. I guess there's a certain minimum level of genetic or biological "equipment" necessary, but it's Mom and Dad who instill the value of "thinking" into their children, who, by example, show that "thinking" can be fun and interesting, who cultivate curiosity and creativity in their children, reward excellent behavior and results, provide the tools necessary to learn, and create an environment favorable to "thinking".
Old 06-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
HTML Code:
Don't confuse intelligence with education.
And don't confuse either with knowledge.

After posting that I looked down at the cookie;
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." --Mark Twain

All right! The Cookie AI is back up!!

Right now what's painful is my feet, because I managed to forget to apply sunscreen to them when I went outside for two days in a row.

My lesson, it seems, is that a high IQ does not save yourself from your own stupidity.

Right now, bri, you are surrounded by kids. They think they are smarter than you, and project that ... but it's all show. Just because someone is well versed in being pretentious does not actually make them smart.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

wolf, once again you have managed to say just what I needed to hear. The Angst should quiet down now--I've got the summer off and won't feel like a Retard Dinosaur again till Sept.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The retarded dinosaurs survived along with the small, clever mammals when the comet crashed into the earth. All the smart dinosaurs had gotten too big for their own good and died.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #27
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Right now what's painful is my feet, because I managed to forget to apply sunscreen to them when I went outside for two days in a row.
Try Ocean Lotion. It's like thin jello made of aloe and lanacaine. It really helps sunburn. Really.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #28
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've been alternative between Bag Balm and Aveeno contact anesthetic, both of which are already in the house. Getting this Ocean Lotion stuff, which sounds very, very nice, would require the ability to put on shoes and go to the Walgreens.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #29
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

My ex- (at the time a pharmaceutical chemist; this was before the nurse practitioner stage) bought a tin of Bag Balm once...and then refused to use it after reading the ingredients; as I recall there was something nasty in it: (phenol, perhaps?)

What's in Bag Balm these days?

Wolf: Speaking of Amazon.com recommenders, when I looked up Bag Balm they recommended Anti-Monkey Butt Powder Anti-Friction Plus Sweat Absorber
Actually, they need another hyphen. Apparently they're not anti-monkey.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

8-Hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% in a petrolatum lanolin base.