Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Hi Morie,

What a great read your rant is.

I married a Filipino woman and am currently living in Makati, Philippines.

Here are some comments that I have that may relate to China/Chinese:

1. Trash. It's everywhere but the very newest and richest parts of the city. I once thought that there should be more trash recepticals here and that people would use them, you know, common sense. WRONG. Even when there are all sorts of places to neatly dispose of trash it gets dropped right where a person decides that they don't need it anymore. It's sad, and not just a Chinese trait.

2. Spitting. Sure, it's very common here too. I've seen more than a few attractive women here spit on the street. I've not seen anyone spit in a restaurant or a bus though. Those photos of the inside of the bus were a good indicator. Wow.

3. Corruption. Yes, it's here too. I was skeptical that it was as widespread as described by my in-laws but they were right. It's a part of life here from the cops to the city council.

4. Toilets. They are not nearly as bad here from your description. Most of the public toilets are staffed by someone that collects a fee for cleaning them. I've not seen any of the squat type units here either. That's not to say that it's heaven on earth dumping here but it's not as bad as there. This is the premiere Philippine city though.

5. Relatives. This is where our experiences separate. My in-laws have never asked anything, muchless demanded or schemed to get money or goods out of me. When I can I help them out. They are very polite and humble people and they seem to respect me even when I don't have the cash for their special project. This is not to say that I walk on water here but that they genuinely appreciate what I do for them and they don't complain or cry when I cannot do something for them. Many times I can't It's not used as a weapon against me.

My FIL often gives me the remote when he's not following a particular TV show too.

6. Personal neatness/cleanliness. Things are just the opposite here for me. Washing dishes and keeping clothes clean is what my mother in law's job in life is here. It's the measure of her effectiveness as a woman of the house. She cooks, cleans, washes and scrubs to make everything in the kitchen and in the house clean. She does a fabulous job and I appreciate that very much.

7. Lying, cheating, stealing. I've not run into a lot of that here. What you say about everyone automatically assuming that if you are a westerner that you shit money is exactly on target.

I'm "common folk" here. We don't have a car here and I don't have a lot of status type items that I rub into everyone's face. For the most part, I've made some friends outside of the family and people are polite and respectful...at least when I'm there in front of them.

After reading all the details of your horrible experience, my desire to go there is less than what it was before. There is another ex-pat living there working as a software engineer with stories that are not as detailed as yours but putting the society there in a bad light.

Keep us posted when it's published. It is a book right? This is the condensed version?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

OK, I just wasted too much of my life reading that. I can't wait for the follow up "Rants about Britain"....
Old 02-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I can't wait for the rant about australia
Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Didn't one you guys already write Rants about the USA? or is the Cellar just an ongoing one...
Old 02-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

The Cellar is just one big rant full stop.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I can't wait for the rant about australia
is that where he's going once he can't take anymore of the Brits?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
OK, I just wasted too much of my life reading that. I can't wait for the follow up "Rants about Britain"....
I appreciate Slang giving us the straight scoop on living there, among the natives, instead of a tourists view. What is really like for the people to get through their normal days.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #23
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I appreciate Slang giving us the straight scoop on living there, among the natives, instead of a tourists view. What is really like for the people to get through their normal days.
I was referring to the OP's blog, not Slang's comments.

Did you seriously not realise that, or are you just stirring it because you are bored?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #24
aimeecc
Super Intendent

The rants are accurate, based on my one week in depth tourist experience there. lol.

I thought that the US portayal of China as a third world country as inaccurate and biased. Then I visited. Except Shanghai, China really is a 3rd world country. Its nasty.

I've used the squat toilets all over Asia (4 years in Japan, plus extensive travel). China was the worst for cleanliness of the squat toilet.

The pollution is horrible. I bought postcards of the Great Wall to put in my scapbook because it was so polluted all my pictures turned out hazy.

China is ok for a one week visit. That's it. Japan is cool, 4 years was long, but I liked it. Thailands ok for a short time - a lot less beggars than one would think... but you can't get a tuk-tuk (motorcycle taxi) ride anywhere without stopping by 3 jewlery stores along the way. Unless you want to get propositioned by hookers (regardless of gender) don't go to any bars. I went into one nice looking 'American' style bar and left in ten minutes. Korea - forget about Korea too. Nasty like China.

My niece is in love with a South Korean. They go to college together in Michigan. They haven't formally announced their engagement... but they plan on getting married. She is going to spend this summer in Soeul with his family. She's in for a shock. And they plan on getting married the following year, and she'll work in South Korea and have babies and live happily ever after there. One, I don't want her to move halfway across the earth for the rest of her life, but two, Korea really is nasty. I don't want her kids being raised there. I guess its really selfishness.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I was referring to the OP's blog, not Slang's comments.

Did you seriously not realise that, or are you just stirring it because you are bored?
You had already responded to OP, and that post followed Slang's. Sorry I misunderstood but, just how would I know you weren't responding to Slang?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #26
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You had already responded to OP, and that post followed Slang's. Sorry I misunderstood but, just how would I know you weren't responding to Slang?
'cause slang rocks and his post wasn't long enough to moan about the time it took to read.

srlsy, though, I did read the whole blog, so it wasn't that bad and it does correspond with other accounts I've read, so i'm not saying it's a load of bull -but the tone was sooo whiney and I couldn't help but feel "caveat emptor". It's certainly not a book.