The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #16
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Of course, my husband (who isn't going to vote) thinks I wasted my vote because I voted for Badnarik. *shrug* I told him I feel like it's my duty to vote me conscience. He told me that my conscience doesn't run the country. I told him that regardless of who wins, this country won't be run on conscience.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:48 AM   #17
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I wasted my vote because I voted for Badnarik.

True.

I told him I feel like it's my duty to vote me conscience.

True.

He told me that my conscience doesn't run the country.

Also true.

regardless of who wins, this country won't be run on conscience.

*sigh* Very true.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #18
marichiko

Well, typical of me! I'm getting ready to go down and vote and can't find my driver's license. GRRRRRR! My Colorado sample ballot states that a recent utilities bill in my name will serve as ID, however. We'll see, I guess.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:13 AM   #19
glatt

I showed up half an hour after the polls opened here in Arlington, VA. I got in line at 6:30 and walled out the door and was on my way at 7:40. The line stretched out of the elementary school gym, down the hall, out the door, along the sidewalk by the school parking lot, and out onto the sidewalk along the street.

I sat on a jury a couple years ago when a man was accused of bringing a firearm onto school property when it was actually in a gym bag, locked in his car's trunk. The police pulled him over for a traffic violation shortly after he left the school parking lot. They found the gun in the trunk after he consented to a car search and informed them of the gun. We didn't get to deliberate because during the trial, his stupid attorney realized that all evidence and his client's own testimony indicated that he was guilty. So he struck a deal with the DA. Good thing too, because the law was very clear. The defendant was very likeable, but he did violate the law by driving his car into the school parking lot while a gun was locked in the trunk.

Showing up at an elementary school polling place with a gun to protect your right to vote isn't a good idea. I hope NBN's polling place is in a firing range or or something.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Well, typical of me! I'm getting ready to go down and vote and can't find my driver's license. GRRRRRR! My Colorado sample ballot states that a recent utilities bill in my name will serve as ID, however. We'll see, I guess.
Yeah, but how do you intend to get there ...

Breaking the law to exercise your civic responsibility.

tsk tsk.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:19 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Philadelphia is apparently helping out voters by putting some votes into the machines before the polls opened, just to get things started ...

Phila DA is already denying the charge.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-02-2004, 10:20 AM   #22
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I walked to my polling place. In fact, I parked next to it last night, so I could head to work immediately afterwards.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #23
jinx
Come on, cat.

Took me about an hour and half, just got back. There was a line of blue-hairs about 50ft out the door here in Elverson. I was not challenged and didn't see any challenging type people, but I did have to show ID because it was my first time voting here.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:34 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Witchcraft, Santaria, Vodou, or Terrorism in NJ

Votes on Machines in Philly

What's going on in the rest of the world as we stand witness to the fall of Western Civilization? You might not be able to spank your kids in Britain anymore. You should probably get started with preemptory discipline now, beat the last minute rush ...

Old 11-02-2004, 10:41 AM   #25
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
My polling place was right around the corner from me so I walked. I got there at 6:15a and was out at 7:20a. From the stories I've heard so far today, I was one of the lucky ones, spending just about an hour there.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:06 AM   #26
Kurtis
Neophyte-in-training

piece of cake

I walked in, had two people in front of me at 8am this morning, flashed my id and registration card, got a smart card for the machine, casted my vote, and was out of there in under 10 min. though there was a high voter turn out it was moving quickly.
Kurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Just voted in battleground Ohio with NO problems and NO challengers! Yipee! Done!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #28
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Philadelphia is apparently helping out voters by putting some votes into the machines before the polls opened, just to get things started ...

Phila DA is already denying the charge.
From KYW-1060 (I'm posting the story verbatim b/c they tend to change their links):

Contrary to reports on the Internet and the "Drudge Report", Philadelphia is not impounding any voting machines and they have found no machines with votes already on them.

A spokesman for the City Republican Committee says those reports are totally false.

The machines that someone questioned have an indicator that shows how many times the unit has been used.

That indicator has nothing to do with votes, or with anything that would tend to taint election results.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-02-2004 at 11:36 AM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #29
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

45 minutes in suburban Philly (West Chester). An EXTREMELY long wait by previous standards; usually, the poll-workers outnumber the voters at any given time.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #30
glatt

Just saw this at Boing Boing:

Some machines in Santa Clara are eating votes today. Burp.
Cell phone picture of the voting screen of death:

This bothers me. I think that I voted today. But I have no idea if the WINvote machine counted it.

Last edited by glatt; 11-02-2004 at 11:42 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote