The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #16
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Lets put the emphasis back on the winter solstice, have a bit of sun-worship, maybe a few blood sacrifices
As long as we also emphasize the Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength!

"...for the rest of us!"
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Okay, so if it isn't endorsing Christmas, then why are people so offended when they don't call it "Christmas"? What's the big deal?
Recognizing in not endorsing, and because it is Christmas and not being able to say so in ridiculous.
Quote:
Customers in need of phone support, billing support, service outages, etc. Business doesn't stop on the 25th.
Oh, ok
Quote:
Really? Why?
Corporate ethics policy and "The Diversity Initiative". The people hired to administer these programs, are eger to prove the viability and necessity of their jobs. They are the PC Police with a Jesse Jackson zeal to do so. The easiest and best way to nail someone you don't like, is to be able to charge them with saying something politically incorrect. One guy got a general foreman busted for, calling him a sissy, by claiming he was queer and ofended by the term. He wasn't and he wasn't, but it worked.
Quote:
Alright, I'll bite. How has anyone's religious freedom been violated because of The [supposed] War on Christmas?
It's you that are claiming this is a "War on Christmas", not I. If you read the link, or just the quote, the leaders of these British denominations felt there was enough concern among their flocks, to make a joint statement. I don't know if the concern is justified, but I agree with their statement.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:24 AM   #18
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Happy Halloween. Happy Holidays. What difference does it make which vampire you worship?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Recognizing in not endorsing, and because it is Christmas and not being able to say so in ridiculous.
Ridiculous as it might seem to some, not calling it "Christmas" still doesn't change anything about the actual holiday for the people that celebrate it. Nothing is devalued, nothing really changes. Is it really that big of a deal?

Broward County, FL, schools give their students days off on many Jewish holidays, although their calendar makes no reference on any day off other than "Administrative Offices/Schools Closed". Its odd, though, as I've never heard of Jewish families complaining on the lack of calendar label.

Quote:
One guy got a general foreman busted for, calling him a sissy, by claiming he was queer and ofended by the term. He wasn't and he wasn't, but it worked.
That doesn't sound like the most pleasant work environment. I'm assuming you're suggesting that you can be fired for saying "Merry Christmas", then, if someone complains? I'm assuming it hasn't happened, yet, as that would be grounds for a most profitable wrongful termination lawsuit and that action would likely never be taken by the company again.

Quote:
It's you that are claiming this is a "War on Christmas", not I. If you read the link, or just the quote, the leaders of these British denominations felt there was enough concern among their flocks, to make a joint statement.
I raised the "War on Christmas" issue that was sensationalized by the media because I think that's not only where it was generated, but that's what it is limited to. It's a joke to anyone that doesn't subscribe to it. As for the article and their concerns about the removing of Christ as "the star of the show", I somehow think that it isn't the "PC police" most responsible for this, but perhaps the parents that get whipped into a seasonal consumer frenzy who's children can be found on the night of the 24th locked in concentrated prayer with their hopes that Santa leave them a new Xbox and a Gears of War disc to find come the morning. The people most responsible for the true secularization of Christmas are Christians. Government non-recognition and generalized greetings don't hold a candle to that.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #20
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Since this thread is about Britain, I was hoping Dana would pop in, but I guess she's too busy.

So in her absence I will mention that I recall her saying that a lot of the "antiChristmas" attitude was a myth generated by far right groups attempting to demonize minorities. I don't know how far things have really gone.

And I think Kitsune hits the nail, not quite on the head, but on the shoulder:
Quote:
The people most responsible for the true secularization of Christmas are Christians.
I'd blame consumers, marketers, advertisers, and weak-willed parents who'd rather give their children some toys than some time.
Ok, these people may well be Christians, but their Christianity is only incidental in relation to this issue.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #21
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Ridiculous as it might seem to some, not calling it "Christmas" still doesn't change anything about the actual holiday for the people that celebrate it. Nothing is devalued, nothing really changes. Is it really that big of a deal?
Replace the word "Christmas" with "Martin Luther King Day" in the sentence above.

[sarcasm]No, no big deal.[/sarcasm]
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
That doesn't sound like the most pleasant work environment. I'm assuming you're suggesting that you can be fired for saying "Merry Christmas", then, if someone complains? I'm assuming it hasn't happened, yet, as that would be grounds for a most profitable wrongful termination lawsuit and that action would likely never be taken by the company again.
First, one of these overly sensitive troublemakers makes a complaint. It's not going to be for someone saying Merry Christmas but it's the same type of person making the majority of these types of accusations and complaints. You know, those that think the US flag is a symbol of war and that it has no place in the work environment, someone that sees a bible on someone's desk that they may read over lunch.

It's actually not the "Merry Christmas", you are correct. It just starts the ball rolling for the HR person. The HR guy stops by your cube or does a drive by. Then he might stop to talk to you casually.

It gets the ball rolling for a host of other complete bullshit non-offenses.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #23
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Corporate ethics policy and "The Diversity Initiative". The people hired to administer these programs, are eger to prove the viability and necessity of their jobs. They are the PC Police with a Jesse Jackson zeal to do so. The easiest and best way to nail someone you don't like, is to be able to charge them with saying something politically incorrect. One guy got a general foreman busted for, calling him a sissy, by claiming he was queer and ofended by the term. He wasn't and he wasn't, but it worked.
That's exactly correct. It's not that one incident may be considered cause for dismissal. It's when a minority complainer keeps complaining and searching for more ammo, and complaining and then going to see the HR people, and complaining to everyone, and going back to the HR people.

This is something that some of my minority work friends swear by. They use it as a sword.

Why? Because it works in this fucked up PC world that we have now.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #24
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
I'm fairly certain the idea is made up to scare all the people that, for some reason, feel the need to have their most sacred beliefs validated by the wording on department store advertisement fliers.
If that were accurate, it would be truly funny.

It's a tradition that is evaporating because of a handful of people that are consistently and loudly complaining about how it.

I'm not even a church goer but I see these little changes in wording and such that are an attempt to change the traditional holiday.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #25
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
That's exactly correct. It's not that one incident may be considered cause for dismissal. It's when a minority complainer keeps complaining and searching for more ammo, and complaining and then going to see the HR people, and complaining to everyone, and going back to the HR people.

This is something that some of my minority work friends swear by. They use it as a sword.

Yeah. In the good old days, it used to be that Chrisians could just refuse to hire a non-Christian (and whites refuse to hire non-whites), and avoid the whole situation.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #26
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Alright, I'll bite. How has anyone's religious freedom been violated because of The [supposed] War on Christmas?
Religious freedom?

No, I don't feel my religious freedom has been violated. Some feel as though theirs have been by calling this holiday Christmas though. From my experience these people are militant anti-Christians, they don't like Christmas, the word "God" on the money, the pledge, yadda-yadda-yadda.

There are some people that are very annoyed by anthing remotely Christian. That's fine. I can accept that. Why do we need to change the name of the holiday though?

I'm sure it makes perfect sense but not to me. Someone's civil rights are surely being violated by having to endure the horror of this society having Christmas instead of Winter Break.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #27
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Happy Holidays!
Have a Merry Christmas my friend.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #28
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
I've also had some candid converstations with [newly second biggest minority] friends about how the [newly largest minority] citizens are "untouchable" under the PC rules of today.

slang: Welcome home brother! Now you understand the falacy of PC.

friend: Was it like that for you with [newly second biggest minority]s in the past?

slang: Oh please!
Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #29
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Replace the word "Christmas" with "Martin Luther King Day" in the sentence above.
You mean Civil Rights Day? (only in New Hampshire)
Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #30
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quick, someone post what a bigot and racist I am.

That's always the shortcut to silence these types of comments.