The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 07-20-2004, 07:09 AM   #16
jaguar
whig

diplomacy is convincing them to rip out their best friend's spine and shove it up their own ass. It's also very, very enjoyable.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 AM   #17
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I must have missed that well-known phrase Kev. Maybe you only get to hear it within an hour of London.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #18
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
It's also very, very enjoyable.
You're such a sadist...
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #19
jaguar
whig

you've never heard that?
Quote:
You're such a sadist...
only on special occasions
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #20
evansk7
Disorderly Orderly

Oh, I'm not within an hour of London. Whatever gave you that idea?

*gd&r*

Well, not unless I drive much too fast.

Jag - enjoyable, mayhap. But short-lived... they're rapidly going to run out of best friends, and then you'll have no sport.
evansk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:19 AM   #21
jaguar
whig

all depends on what your sport is really doesn't it?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:22 AM   #22
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
you've never heard that?
only on special occasions

no.

such as?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:23 AM   #23
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by evansk7
Oh, I'm not within an hour of London. Whatever gave you that idea?

This.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:28 AM   #24
jaguar
whig

now I think about it, most days of the week *sighs*
Old 07-20-2004, 07:33 AM   #25
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

that makes two of us. But you're right, it is very enjoyable.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #26
evansk7
Disorderly Orderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
Pah. Don't believe everything you read.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:18 AM   #27
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I won't believe that then.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 AM   #28
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Mari, I can totally relate to your switchboard recount. *raises glass in comradere*

I've always been a firm believer that the customer is NOT always right. I never worked retail (counting my blessings here) but I have worked in food service. Once, for two months and never again. EVER. I also worked for a call center for a couple of years during college as an 800# operator. I have more gripes about the idiocy I encountered on the phone during that time than I'd care to fully recount, but my BIGGEST gripe is the people who call the 800 numbers and just assume they're talking to someone who's working at that company and in that company's building. And then there's the ones you wonder what seething, festering pit did they crawl out of just to give you a hard time?

I once had a call from a guy who had ordered a VA ham with some other foodstuffs and was calling to complain that it was spoiled when he got it. He was livid so there was far more incoherent fuming ire coming out of his mouth than there was helpful information that I could use to see if I could determine what happened. I asked him when he ordered and what his delivery instructions were. Those two questions took a least a few minutes to get answers to, this guy was so mad. Long story short, I found out that he had ordered the food and had regular delivery, no express or anything, and knew regular delivery for him would take 3-5 business days. Then he went on vacation for 2 weeks the day after ordering the food. And this is in the summer and he lived in SC. Needless to say, that ham was good and ripe by the time he got home. But, of course, his mis-timed order was all my fault because I should have known that he was going away for 2 weeks and that I should have put a delay on the shipment of his order, even though I wasn't the one who took his bloody order in the first place, but that didn't matter because I was the one talking to him now so I am the one responsible for his lost $24.95 and how is he going to get his money back, he had a sound mind to ship the rotten thing right back to me and call the BBB because we here at the call center couldn't read his bloody mind and figure out he was going on his bloody vacation and no one would be there to pick up the bloody ham and...

This one still sets my hair on end, if you couldn't tell.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #29
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I worked in a cafe for awhile, attached to a very arrogant hippie organic food store. The place was very low-key, you picked your own food up at the counter when your little pager went off, and the building was basically an unfinished warehouse.

You would not *believe* how many complaints we got from people who didn't like using the little ketchup packets. Apparently only a bottle was good enough for their overpriced granola asses. We explained to them that in fact the bottles were a health hazard because people didn't eat ketchup enough, so they would spoil (and even explode, which was what prompted us to switch in the first place.) Didn't matter.

One woman asked me how other fine restaurants seemed to manage it then. I politely asked her how many "fine restaurants" she knew of that sold $6 hamburgers and made you bus your own tables. She asked me why the hell she shouldn't just go to McDonald's then. I told her (still in my most professional tone) that McDonald's didn't have nearly the variety of vegan options on their menu, nor did they offer free-range beef and organic lettuce and tomatoes.

Ultimately a manager actually sat there and squirted a half dozen packets onto a plate and handed it to her.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #30
evansk7
Disorderly Orderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
my BIGGEST gripe is the people who call the 800 numbers and just assume they're talking to someone who's working at that company and in that company's building.
Far be it from me to sympathise with the (L)users, but I can't help but be on the customer's side on this one. I get OH SO SICK of calling people to deal with something, only to find I'm in fact talking to someone else.

Me: Hi, is that ACME, Inc?
CS Agent: Hi, yeah. My name's Steve. How can I help you?
Me: Well, I've got a question about such-and-such a service. I ordered it, and it seems to have arrived, but it's not quite X or Y.
CS Agent: Ah, right. Yeah. We've heard that a lot.
Me: Oh. Okay.. well, what's the answer?
CS Agent: I'm really not sure.
Me: Ohhkay. Could you possibly ask someone else?
CS Agent: No, I'm sorry, I can't.
(20 minutes go by)
CS Agent: I don't actually work for ACME Inc. I'm in a different building, in a different part of the country. I'm afraid I can't walk over to Tech Support and ask them for you, and I can't put you through.

Now, maybe I'm being unreasonably picky here, but I didn't choose to call CSC-co, and I did try to call ACME Inc. I don't think it's wholly unreasonable to expect that when I call a company on the number they advertise, I'll get someone who actually works for them. Or, at the very least, someone who knows someone who actually works for them. Or even, failing that, someone who knows a phone number for someone who actually works for them and can put me through or make a call on my behalf.

It's like my bank; I call my branch on an 0870 number. For the 'merkins among us, that's a number which is long-distance (but domestic) no matter where in the country you dial from. I'm ringing my branch because I'd like to speak to them about something related to my account. Which is held at that branch. Still with me?

So why, oh why would my bank think I'd like to talk to some central call centre, then? I specifically went to the trouble of looking up my local branch's number. And then, to add insult to injury, the call centre people can't do certain stuff. They have to connect me - get this - to my branch.

Am I so unreasonable?

Kev