The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My first wife and I slept in separate twin beds (it was a furnished apt) but we pushed them together for snuggling and.... well, you know. Anyhoo, don't do this, if you do and one of you gets too close to the centerline, the beds split open and you fall on the floor. Take my word for it.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
There is a joke about a couple who have separate bedrooms (English, I think, FWIW) and the wife is giving a tour of her house to a guest. She points out her own bedroom and down the hall she points out her husband's room. Perplexed, the guest asks "So you sleep in separate rooms? How does that affect your love life?"
"Well,if my husband wants to have sex he just knocks at my door."
"But suppose you want to have sex?"
"Then I go to his room and ask 'Did you just knock?'"
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #18
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

I prefer to have my own bed and we nearly always sleep in 2 beds while traveling, for both our sakes. I have a twin sister and so my own space at last is a Big Deal. Sleep is also a Big Deal. If you get better sleep apart, then it's fine. And hey, he knows where to find me even in the dark. Snoring does have its good points.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #19
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Personally, I haven't slept in a bed alone for -thinks- probably close to a decade. And now I'm sleeping alone again. I really prefer the security of reaching over and finding my significant other right there within touching distance. After all, what if a mouse got into the bedroom? I can't catch it and put it outside all by MYSELF now, can I??
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
Madman
has left the building.

For awhile my wife was having a difficult time sleeping through the night. So she talked to me and asked if I would be hurt about it. After 26 years, I really wasn't too concerned. I actually liked the idea. In retrospect - maybe too much. Anyway, she moved into the spare bedroom and slept great for about a week. Me... I never slept better! She asked me how I was doing and I told her exactly that. I guess she didn't like that response because the next day, when I got home, she had a new bedspread, pillows, and a real sexy nightie. Oh, almost forgot... the remote was on my nightstand!
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #21
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

lol - It worked - good job!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Sometimes I wish I could sleep in a separate bed. Im a light sleeper and my husband is heavy toss-and-turner...bad combination. The best sleep I get is in the morning after he leaves for work.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #23
Cloud

While researching sleep positions, I came upon this WikiP. article on "the family bed" where kids sleep with at least one parent, which is the opposite of the separate beds discussed here.

It's kind of interesting, because it says it's practiced everywhere in the world except for mostly the English speaking countries. Also, the arguments for and against are pretty conflicting, for example, separate and together people say their way prevents SIDS.

I certainly co-slept with my children at times when they were little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-sleeping
Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
Juniper
I know, right?

I slept with our kids too. Sometimes in our bed, sometimes in theirs. Nights were like musical beds. It's like this - as long as everyone sleeps, who cares where?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
jinx
Come on, cat.

Same here... neither of my kids ever slept in a crib or a toddler bed. There's just nothing in the world like cuddling up with a baby...

And Jim snores like an animal. He's had his own bed since forever.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #26
Cloud

oh, but it's "frowned upon." It's bad because the kids becomes dependent, supposedly. They're supposed to be much happier all by themselves in a cold crib, with prison bars, and without pillows. On their backs.

Okay, that was snarky, and I do realize that kids sometimes need to learn to sleep comfortably by themselves, but the attitude still seems to me a remnant of the same sensibility that decreed separate twin beds for the adults. No cuddling allowed!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #27
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Apparently the alone on their back things is to prevent sudden infant death syndrome, there's supposed to be some kind of connection...this whole school thing is neat!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #28
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

But if the kids are in your bed, every night... how do you ever manage to make more kids?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 AM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Teach them to operate the camera.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:43 AM   #30
glatt

I know a few families who did the family bed thing and I recognize it as a legitimate way of doing things. For us, we had the newborns in the room directly adjacent to us in a bassinet for the first couple months. Night feedings are a lot more convenient that way. But we moved them into their own room after a couple months. Worked just fine.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote