The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #16
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz
Just another slap in the face for us, 1st the droght, then the fires, then the flood, now this. what next?
Come on Sparkz, it could be a lot worse. We could have suicide bombers blowin up our trains and buses or landmarks.
Pearcie (AUS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:52 PM   #17
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Im not even comparing it to a tradgedy like that. Noone could.

(though it may not be far off) i work in the CBD, spend 3 hours a day on a train and my building is right above the wynyard tunnel, trust me i know it could be a LOT worse!

I am just saying it feels like its never going to end. I mean for me i think the drought was the worst to experience, here in the city youd see ppl watering their gardens and having fountins flowing and on the weekend id go home and see my family digging tips for dead cows that had to be shot because there was no more food, and selling sheep for 15 cents each at the saleyard (if they didnt sell they to were shot). And then we had about 16 paddocks catch on fire which could have been a blessing in disguise because some crop started to grow from the burnt ground but it was then drowned in a flood ( not all that much rain but the ground (ruined from drought) wouldnt take the water) that was a couple of motnhs ago, a fresh crop (10,000) was about 14 days off release and little bugs come and eat it all.

My family doesn't rely solely on farming for our income, we all work independantly and the farm managers look after the homestead, but i couldnt imagine the stress this would have on FT farmers. no wonder there are so many suicides in Country NSW.

It sounds like im whinging but im not, im just giving the cellar my view on the IOD, what its like for me and how it affects us. im not comparing our situation to any other situation.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Drought, fire, flood, that's not whining. Folks go on about much less. I hope your weather patterns straighten out down there.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #19
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

Disasters

Sparkz, didn't mean to offend. I wasn't inferring that you were comparing the farm disasters with terrorism I was just taking the viewpoint of 'No matter how bad it seems there is almost always someone out there who's got it worse than you/us'. I'm not from the country so I don't actually 'know' what it's like to have to deal with such problems. I can imagine how p!ssed you would be seein fountains running etc. (although the water in those fountains should not be drinkable water - hopefully) ppl washing their cars with water that could keep your livestock alive for a little longer, that would really be hard to cope with.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #20
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

No offense taken, i know you didnt mean that i just wanted to clarify

Old 03-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #21
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

All Good

Sweet

Has that Krispy Kreme opened at Wynyard yet??
I'm stinging to get a box but I aint goin to Parramatta or wherever the other store is.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:22 PM   #22
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

Hey Pearcie, what's this Krispy Kreme stuff your talking about.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #23
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

Krispy Kreme

An amazing donut store. Been out in the states for ages, only just recently came to Oz, ones sposed to be opening at Wynyard soon, or may have already. I want some!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #24
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

I want one also, I'll authorise your travel to go and get us some, Ok.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:54 PM   #25
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

College Vehicle

Can you sort it out so I can take the college vehicle, I'm low on petrol
Old 03-18-2004, 09:04 PM   #26
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

No problem, just don't tell YOU KNOW WHO.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:50 PM   #27
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

out of the loop

no it hasnt opened here yet, ill be the first to know one of my collegues is a "friend of krispy kreames" he has a hat and a badge its so funny. but they are SO YUMMY!!

i think ill put on about 10 kilo in the 1st week they do open though

YUM!!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:58 PM   #28
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Pi
During a survival training we were told that a locust, depending on the size, has more proteins than a steak.
So we tried it out, there're a lot of different possibilities, I prefere them in boiling oil with a little honey on them, really crusty
Just think of them as 'land shrimp'.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:00 PM   #29
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by Leah
No way, not me. Although I have swallowed a fly.
"I don't know why she swallowed the fly. Perhaps she'll die."

My kids are still young enough that I remember reading that to them over and over. That's one of those experiences with my kids that I won't miss. Too repititious.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:19 PM   #30
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Just to clarify the water situation down here, the CSIRO (Aussie scientific research organisation), released a report last year that found that over 98% of water usage in Australia occurs *outside* of the major cities. It is a myth that the cities waste huge quantities of water, thus depriving the rural areas. The report actually recommended that water be diverted *from* rural areas to the cities, to support future population growth.

I'm not, repeat, not saying that no water is wasted in the cities, just that the extent of this wastage is nowhere near what is commonly believed.
bluesdave is offline   Reply With Quote