The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-08-2003, 09:54 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This is what we do:

Every area chooses representatives for their area. The government officials votes are in public. Their meetings are open to the people - the most important meetings are shown on television. The officials are held responsible for their votes and decisions, at least as long as the people can remember them. Usually they don't remember by election day, but at least the fools are kept out.

These days, many people believe that the political process is corrupted by richer people getting more attention because they give money to the advertising of the candidates they agree with. Without this advertising, it is difficult to get elected to government, because most people will not vote for you because they don't know who you are.

It is difficult, but not impossible, for government officials to receive huge bribes because their personal finances are made public as a part of campaign financing laws.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In the Daili Lama's guide for the new millennium.
"Know the rules thoroughly, so you may break them properly"
Billy, it seems the people of Tibet do not feel they are Chinese and don't want to be part of China. But they're being held captive while there traditional culture and way of life is being destroyed.
I can understand how China would wish to reunite with Taiwan as they were/are Chinese in recent memory.
But Tibet seems to be more of a hostile takeover.
Comment?
Old 05-10-2003, 01:51 AM   #18
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
Quote:
I find it humorous that you imply O'Reilly is a Republican propagandist when the truth is that he's probably one of the more liberal people on TV these days.
Fair and balanced - 'cause we say so. You see, ususally something has to actually be true - in order for it to be true - unless you are on FAUX News. You say: "Bill is one of the more liberal people on TV". I say: What are you watching?! "The 700 Club"? I have listened to that guy misquote statistics, mischaracterize people, skew the arguments to the right, and generally spin to a sickening degree - all over the "No Spin Zone".

Let's pick out some bit of O'Reilly's liberal spin:

September 17, 2001 10:45 p.m. -- Bill O'Reilly, Fox News talk show star, called tonight for mass terrorism against the civilian populations of Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya.

O'Reilly advocated completely destroying the civilian infrastructure of those countries, as well as mining the harbors of Tripoli, Libya.

Then, O'Reilly said, those populations will have two choices: starve, or overthrow their governments.

"Knock their food supply out and their water supply out and those people will have to overthrow the Taliban. It's either that or they die."

"The population must be made to endure another round of intense pain" O'Reilly said of Iraqi civilians.

Regarding Libya, O'Reilly says, "Let them eat sand."

Even a military counter-terrorism expert on the show, retired Major General Paul Vallely, when asked his opinion of O'Reilly's plan, balked. Vallely warned O'Reilly that such a course of action would hurt "all the other people that are not part of that regime."

O'Reilly said he didn't care: if people were going to go down, better the civilians than U.S. troops.

Then there is this Personal Stories interview with Jeremy Glick - son of man killed in the WTC:

O'REILLY: In the "Personal Stories" segment tonight, we were surprised to find out than an American who lost his father in the World Trade Center attack had signed an anti-war advertisement that accused the USA itself of terrorism.

The offending passage read, "We too watched with shock the horrific events of September 11... we too mourned the thousands of innocent dead and shook our heads at the terrible scenes of carnage -- even as we recalled similar scenes in Baghdad, Panama City, and a generation ago, Vietnam."

With us now is Jeremy Glick, whose father, Barry, was a Port Authority worker at the Trade Center. Mr. Glick is a co-author of the book "Another World is Possible."

I'm surprised you signed this. You were the only one of all of the families who signed...

JEREMY GLICK, FATHER DIED IN WORLD TRADE CENTER: Well, actually, that's not true.

O'REILLY: Who signed the advertisement?

GLICK: Peaceful Tomorrow, which represents 9/11 families, were also involved.

O'REILLY: Hold it, hold it, hold it, Jeremy. You're the only one who signed this advertisement.

GLICK: As an individual.

O'REILLY: Yes, as -- with your name. You were the only one. I was surprised, and the reason I was surprised is that this ad equates the United States with the terrorists. And I was offended by that.

GLICK: Well, you say -- I remember earlier you said it was a moral equivalency, and it's actually a material equivalency. And just to back up for a second about your surprise, I'm actually shocked that you're surprised. If you think about it, our current president, who I feel and many feel is in this position illegitimately by neglecting the voices of Afro-Americans in the Florida coup, which, actually, somebody got impeached for during the Reconstruction period -- Our current president now inherited a legacy from his father and inherited a political legacy that's responsible for training militarily, economically, and situating geopolitically the parties involved in the alleged assassination and the murder of my father and countless of thousands of others. So I don't see why it's surprising...

O'REILLY: All right. Now let me stop you here. So...

GLICK: ... for you to think that I would come back and want to support...

O'REILLY: It is surprising, and I'll tell you why. I'll tell you why it's surprising.

GLICK: ... escalating...

O'REILLY: You are mouthing a far left position that is a marginal position in this society, which you're entitled to.

GLICK: It's marginal -- right.

O'REILLY: You're entitled to it, all right, but you're -- you see, even -- I'm sure your beliefs are sincere, but what upsets me is I don't think your father would be approving of this.

GLICK: Well, actually, my father thought that Bush's presidency was illegitimate.

O'REILLY: Maybe he did, but...

GLICK: I also didn't think that Bush...

O'REILLY: ... I don't think he'd be equating this country as a terrorist nation as you are.

GLICK: Well, I wasn't saying that it was necessarily like that.

O'REILLY: Yes, you are. You signed...

GLICK: What I'm saying is...

O'REILLY: ... this, and that absolutely said that.

GLICK: ... is that in -- six months before the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan, starting in the Carter administration and continuing and escalating while Bush's father was head of the CIA, we recruited a hundred thousand radical mujahadeens to combat a democratic government in Afghanistan, the Turaki government.

O'REILLY: All right. I don't want to...

GLICK: Maybe...

O'REILLY: I don't want to debate world politics with you.

GLICK: Well, why not? This is about world politics.

O'REILLY: Because, No. 1, I don't really care what you think.

GLICK: Well, OK.

O'REILLY: You're -- I want to...

GLICK: But you do care because you...

O'REILLY: No, no. Look...

GLICK: The reason why you care is because you evoke 9/11...

O'REILLY: Here's why I care.

GLICK: ... to rationalize...

O'REILLY: Here's why I care...

GLICK: Let me finish. You evoke 9/11 to rationalize everything from domestic plunder to imperialistic aggression worldwide.

O'REILLY: OK. That's a bunch...

GLICK: You evoke sympathy with the 9/11 families.

O'REILLY: That's a bunch of crap. I've done more for the 9/11 families by their own admission -- I've done more for them than you will ever hope to do.

GLICK: OK.

O'REILLY: So you keep your mouth shut when you sit here exploiting those people.

GLICK: Well, you're not representing me. You're not representing me.

O'REILLY: And I'd never represent you. You know why?

GLICK: Why?

O'REILLY: Because you have a warped view of this world and a warped view of this country.

GLICK: Well, explain that. Let me give you an example of a parallel...

O'REILLY: No, I'm not going to debate this with you, all right.

GLICK: Well, let me give you an example of parallel experience. On September 14...

O'REILLY: No, no. Here's -- here's the...

GLICK: On September 14...

O'REILLY: Here's the record.

O'REILLY: All right. You didn't support the action against Afghanistan to remove the Taliban. You were against it, OK.

GLICK: Why would I want to brutalize and further punish the people in Afghanistan...

O'REILLY: Who killed your father!

GLICK: The people in Afghanistan...

O'REILLY: Who killed your father.

GLICK: ... didn't kill my father.

O'REILLY: Sure they did. The al Qaeda people were trained there.

GLICK: The al Qaeda people? What about the Afghan people?

O'REILLY: See, I'm more angry about it than you are!

GLICK: So what about George Bush?

O'REILLY: What about George Bush? He had nothing to do with it.

GLICK: The director -- senior as director of the CIA.

O'REILLY: He had nothing to do with it.

GLICK: So the people that trained a hundred thousand Mujahadeen who were...

O'REILLY: Man, I hope your mom isn't watching this.

GLICK: Well, I hope she is.

O'REILLY: I hope your mother is not watching this because you -- that's it. I'm not going to say anymore.

O'REILLY: In respect for your father...

GLICK: On September 14, do you want to know what I'm doing?

O'REILLY: Shut up. Shut up.

GLICK: Oh, please don't tell me to shut up.

O'REILLY: As respect -- as respect -- in respect for your father, who was a Port Authority worker, a fine American, who got killed unnecessarily by barbarians...

GLICK: By radical extremists who were trained by this government...

O'REILLY: Out of respect for him...

GLICK: ... not the people of America.

O'REILLY: ... I'm not going to...

GLICK: ... The people of the ruling class, the small minority.

O'REILLY: Cut his mic. I'm not going to dress you down anymore, out of respect for your father.

We will be back in a moment with more of THE FACTOR.

GLICK: That means we're done?

O'REILLY: We're done.

Yeah - he really is a pinko commie bastard.

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 02:19 AM   #19
juju
no one of consequence

Scott, such a long quote could easily have been reduced to two simple links. Like this:

http://www.therationalradical.com/di...b.htm#sept1701
http://www.nosheetsleft.com/misc/transcript.html

This little text box is for entering your <i>own words</i>. Quoting sources is fine, but we read your messages so we can get to know you personally. I mean, if a quote is only two or three sentences, then it's fine to just copy and paste it. But if it's longer than the words you typed up yourself, then you should just link to it.

Please consider my advice.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 11:02 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If O'reilly wasn't such a liberal he would have popped Glick right between the eyes.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:54 PM   #21
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

http://www.therationalradical.com/d...1b.htm#sept1701 - "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out".

Yeah, that was rolling through my brain for about two days, but I realized I'd better think about it a while longer before I might firmly place both feet in my mouth. Sounds like O'Reilly had himself a wingtip sammich.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:57 PM   #22
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ury and Juju, that Rational Radical link is not working. The site is interesting though.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:31 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One segment, or even one show, does not prove or disprove anything about O'Reilly (whom I happen to like because he is a cantankerous bastid) or his position on the liberal-conservative continuum.

From what I've observed of him, he says what he thinks, and doesn't much worry about what labels get hung upon him. (I think the same of Michael Savage, although he does tend to be much more acerbic than Bill.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:53 AM   #24
juju
no one of consequence

It works for me in Mozilla and IE 5.0. Maybe you just suck? :)
Old 05-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #25
elSicomoro

In IE 5.0:

In NS 4.7:

That's fine...I didn't like that stupid link anyway!
Old 05-11-2003, 09:26 AM   #26
juju
no one of consequence

My apologies. First, you go here:

http://www.therationalradical.com/di...tribe-901b.htm

Then you can go here:

http://www.therationalradical.com/di...b.htm#sept1701
Old 05-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Me and Bill Gates are getting "404".
Sorry, Bill Gates and I are getting "404".
Old 05-11-2003, 09:32 AM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Gotta type faster.
Those links work.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:48 PM   #29
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
Bill O'Reilly claims to be fair and balanced on a network that claims to be fair and balanced. If you only watch cable news, you might actually think this is true. If you turned to the BBC news or some impartial news sources, you will find that the FAUX/O'Reilly version of fair and balanced is anything but.

Yes he acts like a cantankerous old coot, but this is just an act. As his his background - he claims to be from a working class household when his actual upbringing was rather affluent. He claims to be fair, but if a guest is not cooperating he has no problem yelling at them or simply cuttin their mic. O'Reilly is a litle better than Scarborough, Weiner (Savage), and Rush, but he is no Walter Cronkite.

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:19 PM   #30
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottSolomon
If you turned to the BBC news or some impartial news sources
What is your definition of an impartial news source? A couple of examples would be good, too.