The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
How can anyone who subscribes to this belief be a genuine, kind person in the here and now?????

Thoughts, please?

You already know the answer is my thought.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Ibby
erika

Awwww, thanks skysidhe, its great for us poor younguns to have someone to watch over us!

Heh, I'm not normal by any definition. I quoted that whole bit from ITAOT-TWL from memory. That's pretty sad, no?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #18
marichiko

TEACHA! Leave those kids alone! All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Man, I love Pink Floyd! And I hate organized religion. It wraps around decent people's heads early enough and it just twists them around the axle, and makes them into one more brick to be thrown through the window.

And, yeah, I know about the different meanings of the word "suffer."

I've tried arguing the Bible many times before with fundamentalist's of whatever stripe - JW's, Mormons, born agains, etc., etc. There always comes a point where they get this beleaguered expression on their face which means sanity has just flown out the window and brainwashing is now in effect. Too bad. I can't blame them for how they were raised. But I WASN'T raised that way. Whatcha gonna do?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:37 AM   #19
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Why argue it? Except for the mental exercise, I mean. To each his own, live and let live, and all that jazz.

You're not going to convince anyone that their dearest beliefs are wrong, nor are you going to open a closed mind. So why bother?

My mother is a devout Seventh Day Adventist, I gave up listening or attempting logical debate years ago.

I always just say....."ok", then go on about my merry way

Stormie
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #20
rkzenrage

Lots of family from that side of the loony fence... you gotta' go.
Their opinions on a woman's "place" is just as bad.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #21
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

The best I ever came up with was after a 45 minet tirade from a VERRRRRRRRRY country VERRRRRY Penacostal preacher co- worker was to look at him and say " Well , what are you going to do when you die , show up at the Pearly gates and say
" GOD , I AM HERE !!!!" ,
and a voice comes back saying
"MY NAME IS BUDDA !!"
Dude did NOT what to say , and we NEVER discussed religion AGAIN !!!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 AM   #22
disenchanted
Resident President

I say this as an ordained minister:

The world would be a better place if people worried more about their relationship with their version of a supreme deity than to complain about others'.

Personally, I can't believe in any supreme power that would punish an innocent being in order to spite its parents.

Your mileage may vary.
disenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #23
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Man, I love Pink Floyd! And I hate organized religion. It wraps around decent people's heads early enough and it just twists them around the axle, and makes them into one more brick to be thrown through the window.
Why am I unsurprised?

Once, I might have thought as Marichiko does. But as I approach Mari's age, that "old enough to know better" age, I think I find myself getting closer to God. My experience of organized religion is open to quips, as I am a baptized and confirmed Episcopalian -- yeah, the same denomination that just elected its first female Presiding Bishop, to perhaps great excitement in the Anglican Community in other parts of the world.

The quip, in effect: "Well, my son, I don't believe in organized religion either; I'm Episcopalian."

The practice of a religion, even unto taking part in a quality religious retreat like Cursillo, has made a better man of me. There was a time when I heard, and knowing no better believed, antireligious propaganda of the sort repeated in Mari's para above, but that time is long passed, and I dismiss its promulgators as a pack of lying idiots or hidden-agenda types in search of hegemony with themselves as hegemon, and often both. No exceptions -- self-servingness is too often found, and too powerful an impulse.

Now there IS a problem with what I'd call "religious malpractice," an irrational and abusive approach to religion. I've seen a couple of examples of what this produces in the children scorched by it. It's a strange combination of rebellion and a powerful religious urge: they turn pagan and labor at practicing it. They seem motivated to punish their unduly Godstruck parents by rejecting their faith, and then they move heaven and earth to find another one, and preferably one as oppositely constituted as possible. One woman I know went through a druggie period, then several years of the Church of Satan (those guys' newsletters are enough to turn about anyone who isn't a sociopath right off) and is now busy with a bunch of neo-Egyptian pantheon types, who strike me as a major improvement over the CoS. They're colorful, but frankly I don't see the point of it all. However, I think I see the root cause.

I enjoy "The Wall" too. And ain't nobody chucking me through any window, Mari.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #24
rkzenrage

Faith and religion rarely have anything to do with each other these days.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #25
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Depends on who you look at. The situation in my experience frankly isn't that bad or that desperate, rkzen.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #26
rkzenrage

My statement had neither of those qualifiers/values on it.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #27
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

rk:

If you're going to open your mouth around UG, be prepared to have him put words in it. fyi.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #28
rkzenrage

I didn't even get dinner or a show.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #29
BlueSky_TheMan
This moment is a gift, thats why they call it the present.

Quote:
[i]I've tried arguing the Bible many times before with fundamentalist's of whatever stripe - JW's, Mormons, born agains, etc., etc. There always comes a point where they get this beleaguered expression on their face which means......

Urbane Guerrilla Why am I unsurprised?
Once, I might have thought as Marichiko does. But as I approach Mari's age, that "old enough to know better" age, I think I find myself getting closer to God. My experience of organized religion is open to quips, as I am a baptized and confirmed Episcopalian...
Marichiko and Urbane Guerrilla,
I've seen first hand the damage and the strength that organized religion can bring. I think their strength rises simply from it's number of followers that find a kinship and healing amongst their own, that is, as long as they are all huddled together without opposition from opposing beliefs. Unfortunately Any organized group (the group just happens to be religion in this case) is bound to experience well meant misinterpretation over time and you can't overlook the fact that giving yourself the label "JW's, Mormons, born agains, etc" immediately divides you from BILLIONS of other souls that could potentialy provide the feedback,nurturing, and/or love that we ALL need along the way.

Rather than saying hi I'm a "JW, Mormon, born again, etc" , and immediately receive all the negative and positive impressions from those labels, wouldn't it all work out better if each one of us said:

Hi, I'm a Human and you are too. I have a belief structure on creation and death and so do you. Things in this world scare me and I know they scare you too. etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Why am I unsurprised?

Once, I might have thought as Marichiko does. But as I approach Mari's age, that "old enough to know better" age, I think I find myself getting closer to God. My experience of organized religion is open to quips, as I am a baptized and confirmed Episcopalian -- yeah, the same denomination that just elected its first female Presiding Bishop, to perhaps great excitement in the Anglican Community in other parts of the world.

The quip, in effect: "Well, my son, I don't believe in organized religion either; I'm Episcopalian."

The practice of a religion, even unto taking part in a quality religious retreat like Cursillo, has made a better man of me. There was a time when I heard, and knowing no better believed, antireligious propaganda of the sort repeated in Mari's para above, but that time is long passed, and I dismiss its promulgators as a pack of lying idiots or hidden-agenda types in search of hegemony with themselves as hegemon, and often both. No exceptions -- self-servingness is too often found, and too powerful an impulse.

Now there IS a problem with what I'd call "religious malpractice," an irrational and abusive approach to religion. I've seen a couple of examples of what this produces in the children scorched by it. It's a strange combination of rebellion and a powerful religious urge: they turn pagan and labor at practicing it. They seem motivated to punish their unduly Godstruck parents by rejecting their faith, and then they move heaven and earth to find another one, and preferably one as oppositely constituted as possible. One woman I know went through a druggie period, then several years of the Church of Satan (those guys' newsletters are enough to turn about anyone who isn't a sociopath right off) and is now busy with a bunch of neo-Egyptian pantheon types, who strike me as a major improvement over the CoS. They're colorful, but frankly I don't see the point of it all. However, I think I see the root cause.

I enjoy "The Wall" too. And ain't nobody chucking me through any window, Mari.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky_TheMan
Hi, I'm a Human and you are too. I have a belief structure on creation and death and so do you. Things in this world scare me and I know they scare you too. etc...
I work with a guy who always says to anyone that mentions religion, "If you believe there exists a power greater than yourself, that's enough".
If you say no, then he'll start preaching that there is, without being specific about a name. Interesting position.