The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-06-2006, 08:11 AM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, last night's outcome totally blew my theories on the outcome of the show. Three of the four best vocalists were in the bottom three, and the best - hands down, no contest, the Best - is gone. I think this reinforces what the judges frequently say...that talent alone does not an Idol make.

I am now left to ponder the complete and utter shallowness of an American public that would let a 350 pound, severely talented diva be dismissed from the show while retaining an apparently cute and appealing (on some level of which I am unaware) country boy who has yet to bring a single powerful performance. Paris is on the bubble, but Ace is hanging tough, probably on the basis of his looks and falsetto alone.

I think the contest is now Chris's to lose, based on the results of this week's voting. He's certainly worthy, but man, I am pissed. Mandisa, with all of her "praise Jesus" and nontraditional looks for modern stars, had the pipes to raise gooseflesh, and she didn't deserve such an early dismissal.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Well, last night's outcome totally blew my theories on the outcome of the show. Three of the four best vocalists were in the bottom three, and the best - hands down, no contest, the Best - is gone. I think this reinforces what the judges frequently say...that talent alone does not an Idol make.

I am now left to ponder the complete and utter shallowness of an American public that would let a 350 pound, severely talented diva be dismissed from the show while retaining an apparently cute and appealing (on some level of which I am unaware) country boy who has yet to bring a single powerful performance. Paris is on the bubble, but Ace is hanging tough, probably on the basis of his looks and falsetto alone.

I think the contest is now Chris's to lose, based on the results of this week's voting. He's certainly worthy, but man, I am pissed. Mandisa, with all of her "praise Jesus" and nontraditional looks for modern stars, had the pipes to raise gooseflesh, and she didn't deserve such an early dismissal.
You can't jump on the Chris bandwagon... you said Mandisa and Elliot! America is not shallow. Mandisa will do wonderfully selling records and touring in America. But as an American Idol? No way she could have won. And don't say it's because she's 350 pounds... don't you remember Rubin Studdard won? Was he thin or cute? I think you are too quick to call America shallow. Mandisa is an awesome vocalist, but it's not all about vocals to be an Idol.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #18
Elspode

I think there's a different standard for men and weight. And I can jump on the Chris bandwagon, because the best singer is out of the competition. I can only prognosticate a winner from the available pool.

Besides, my Idol forecasts are the kiss of death, anyway. Never has one of my favorites made it so far as the final four.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Haha! I hear you! It's a goofy show to be talking about, isn't it. In the middle of an episode (not an elspode) I find myself saying "What has happened to me???'

Okay, but why did you ditch Elliot?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #20
Elspode

Because he was in the bottom three last night. It doesn't look good for Elliot that Bucky rated higher than he did, man. Considering that Paris was also in the bottom 3 last night, I have to completely reconsider how things are going.

Yeah, I feel a little silly, but really, for me, it is about the skills in singing. There are a lot of good things about the show, if you leave out the schlock. The judges are clearly getting better at selecting contestants in the opening rounds, because this was the best overall crop of singers so far. The band is amazingly good, considering how little time they have to work up their arrangements. And I do think it is a viable test of a potential star...the show must be nerve-wracking, and require much composure and confidence. They perform live, so if you screw up, you screw up, and millions see you do it.

I can do without the artificial hype, the banal "judging" of the performances, the Cowell/Seacrest BS (does anyone else see some sort of gay tension subtext bubbling beneath their respective surfaces?), the unfailingly sweet-squishy Paula role...but strip all the crap away, and you have a tough contest where someone can actually go from carhop to star in a few short months. *That* is a very engaging idea.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #21
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Bucky did well because it was country week. His days are numbered.

My prediction:

Winner: Katharine
2nd: Chris
3rd: Pickler
Old 04-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #22
Elspode

Well, Bucky was country *weak*.

I can see your final three happening. It won't be right, but it could happen.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #23
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

"Right" is subjective.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #24
Elspode

Hell, with most people *I* know, "reality" is subjective, man.

Another of the beauties of AI is that everyone has a different opinon. Makes for some lively conversations at the least.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #25
MaryMary
Confounded Conjuror

I think Chris will win, although I'd pick Taylor or Katherine myself.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #26
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

If American Idol is anything like the UK equivalent then the female vocalists tend to lose votes as the competition tightens - reason being over here is that the men/boys are too busy with sport and drinking to vote, and the Ladies/girls tend towards the male over female singers when it comes to voting. Having said that you produced two female winners! so much for the English influence!

Country week did my head in - I don't think it was all down to the singers/songs though - rather the 'coaching' from Kenny Rogers came nownere near to that provided by Barry Manilow, who really brought the best out of the pack.

Next show is the one to watch - music of Queen - so I have a big, BIG, favour to ask. You see, we only get the programme on Friday - your two shows rolled into one. So, please, no sneeking the result into another thread where it's not expected, I want to watch this one not knowing the outcome. Many thanks!

As for eventual winner - I tend to go the Chris route also, but boats have been known to be rocked. Taylor's my wild card. I think Buckey should be feeling nervous and even Pickler looks shaky (although the Cowell influence may assist - he loves a minxy woman!)

We've seen some good talent go already, Mandisa definitely included, but agree with Stevebsjb, that we're also reaching the level now where the talented ones that fail now, such as she, have done enough to establish a career for themselves.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #27
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

At least Queen week I can handle.

But would Freddie Mercury have liked it?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #28
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Kelli, Paris, and... Elliot??

Yep, I think they were the three best.

Bye, bye, Ace!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #29
Elspode

Ace sucked. #1 was Kelli for sure. She gave me wood.

#2 goes to Paris, I think.

#3 Bucky. Yeah, I know, I don't believe it either.

Chris mailed it in. It isn't that it was bad, it wasn't. It just wasn't interesting or different.

Katharine is safe, Elliot wasn't at the top of his game, but he's safe. I thought Taylor started slow, but finished strong.

Ace goes home.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #30
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Oh, yeah.... dammit... Bucky was good this week.