The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 03-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #16
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
If'n I ever got to Forks I would be the guy tending the fire and listening to all the conversations , adding a bit here and there but tending the fire none the less.
Actually, I think they already have a guy for that. My friend Jim and I usually tend to the grill and soak up the conversation and the sights, both of which can get a little strange. Bob and Wolf are good hosts and make it easy for everyone to relax and have fun.

I really have only two speeds when it comes to conversation. I have the background gather information mode which you seem to prefer. However, if it touches on something I am passionate about, I can move toward the opinionated rant.

Really, if I get going and become any more of a jerk, I'd have to apply for a job with Fox News, of course after undergoing the mandatory surgery to remove higher brain functions.

Of course, since I don't drink, I don't have the convenient "Did I say something wrong last night, because I was drunk off my ass and I don't remember any of it" excuse.

That being said, I really like being around people having fun, and I like to think that I can come up with occasional conversation worth having.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #17
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

im a bit busy atm so i didnt have time to read everyones posts (ill come back later) but i feel like the cellar is real to me. just the mere mention of my name in a post about the cellar community made me all giddy inside. just like with irl friends you hope that they always think about you now and again. im definately a little more open on here than irl but its still my personality.

and elspode, good to see you spelt "magickal" right instead of the illusion creating "magical"
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #18
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

My real experience in an orange jump suit helped at least one member face the judge with courage. Although I haven't done it a lot, I like when I can be supportive at The Cellar for a real person somewhere. And the last time I went to court, another member was 'there' for me.

But, it helps me to remember that if people are crticial of me, they are working with limited information, and not to take it too personally nor hold a grudge. It's real, but limited.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #19
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
... The Cellar is someplace that people know me, like me or not. I know most of the regulars here and people take this place seriously. People here often overlook my jack-ass-ish-ness or just put me on ignore, which seems to work out good. ...
Know you? Where did you come from all of a sudden? I see that you have a high post count. Since I follow a limited number of threads, I must have just missed you until recently. Although I have a small post count, I am somewhat memorable for being so screwed up.

As for Contract versus F/T, different strokes for different folks. I have a number of friends that rather contract. I don't like being disengaged like that. But, I hate big companies, the largest I worked for grew from 85 to 800 before I left. I prefer F/T at a 25-50 person company for 2-3 years.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #20
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
As for Contract versus F/T, different strokes for different folks. I have a number of friends that rather contract. I don't like being disengaged like that. But, I hate big companies, the largest I worked for grew from 85 to 800 before I left. .
'

There are months at a time that I lurk without logging in. Most of the time it's from foreign machine or that I'm interested in what's going on but am working long hours and dont have the time to really digest what everyone is doing now.

Posting something understandable and on topic takes a longer time for me to compose than I would guess that same task takes others also.

One day I'm here....for the next 3 months, I'm gone.

Contracting is a different world, yes. There are often barriers for the contractor where for the directs there are not.

I can only deal with the endless regulations and policies to oversee and control every nook and cranny of what a person might do on the job for just so long. The bigger companies are famous for that.

Big and inflexible but tend to pay more.

If only I could find an income that could travel as I do, independantly from the BS and stress of actually showing up in an office, I'd much rather not be a part of all that.

The reality is that as good as I am at my niche job, I'm all that much worse at the basic concepts of running a profitable business of almost any size.

Having such a job over the net or such would be something that I'd like very much to have. I've tried or am trying in one fashion or another but havent found that magic "thing" or service yet.

Despite the failures, I'll keep trying.

Then I'll stay in one place for a while and long for the days of going all over the place.

Quote:
......I am somewhat memorable for being so screwed up.
Sounds like I have to reading to do. Screwed up people fascinate me...er, I mean....people from completely different circumstances in life and backgrounds interest me.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #21
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

My Cellar

Although very few if any of us have met IRL, I come here often to browse and get input/advice on things that I'm dealing with because many of you are or have dealt with these issues already. I find your input extremely important to me. Your responses have value because you have experience with these issues and I don't know others IRL that have dealt with the difficulties or opportunities which I am currently facing. That doesn't mean I always follow your advise, but your words have value nonetheless and I do consider them.

Conversely, I have recently been visiting "Myspace" to check up on my kids and what they are doing online and found many fake, irresponsible and utterly pathetic people there. It is quite refreshing to know that the cellar exists and it really does have more of a comforting feel to it. Although I may share some things from my life with "real friends" there are always some reservations about being judged or looked down upon because I am dating someone 18 yrs my junior. Sorry, Brianna and Bruce, but yes I'm still with her - sort of. And for what its worth, things are going very well.
The beauty of the cellar is that I can REALLY share what is going on with me without any fear of repercussions and receive honest valuable responses without the "Real Life" crap getting in the way. Here I believe most people tell it like they see it - and that is truly refreshing. Too many people in real life are too fake. Here that baggage doesn't exist. And for that, to all of you and the cellar, I extend a huge THANK YOU.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #22
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
It's real, but limited.
Yes. Well said.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #23
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
because I am dating someone 18 yrs my junior.
Myspace hookup?

I keed, I keed.

Usually, you guys are an alternate reality for me. I can come in and be serious or flippant, depending on my mood, and don't have to justify or explain anything. I usually prefer to only comment on certain threads (e.g., ones that require only a one-liner or that deal with polarizing, emotional topics like religion). If someone thinks I'm an asshole, that's fine -- I'm not threatened by words or by some faceless clown with a login and an axe to grind.

But in recent months, I've talked to a couple of you outside the cellar, and was kind of surprised to find real depth and warmth there. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, seeing as how there's more to me than I let on in this environment -- I guess here more than anywhere else you only see what people want you to see.

So I guess what it all means is that I've only recently discovered the human undercurrent to the internet (thanks mostly to this site), and it's probably affected how I respond to people both online and in RL.

Nightmare fuel for this evening: faceless clowns.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #24
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

clowns can still cry!
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
Sorry, Brianna and Bruce, but yes I'm still with her - sort of.
Whoa, Nellie. When did I ever advise you not to go for it?
Not me, man......I'm in favor of trying every car on the lot, that's offered.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #26
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I think things in my life are approaching an even level of surreal or unreal. Some days I wake up tired enough to barely speak simple sentences, but through rote repetition & blind luck manage the ride to campus, wake up enough on the way to stumble through a day's worth of drudgery, & then bike home again. Sometimes I'll catch myself wondering how I got somewhere, or less thinking that something should be done & more accepting that that is the next item on my long itinerary of life, the next step in a short-term tradition followed blindly. The past 10 weeks are a rained-out smudge of a memory.

So in a sense, this place is as real as anything else I do or see or read. Which is to say: not very. (& yet then, this is my life: so what is more real than what I'm living, dreamy & detached as I am?)
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #27
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Skunks,

If what you wrote is not an exaggeration, then it sounds like you are depressed. It doesn't have to be that way. You should see a counselor.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #28
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Enter.....Wolf
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Slang's right on this one, as is dar. Skunks, you need to go talk to somebody. As in somebody professional rather than just, you know, somebody. You sound like a good guy, keep it that way.

As far as this place goes, I'd say it's mostly real ... individuals here are either real or they're not, so if I say that it's about 75% real, that's referring to 75% of the posters rather than 75% of the posts, if you get what I'm trying to say.

When people are real or full of shit here, they come by it naturally rather than artificially.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:30 AM   #30
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am as unreal as you can get I'm just a fragment of your imitation.

To get back on track here, the cellar is the first thing I look at in the morning, and the last thing I look at when I goto bed. Being homebound I love to here your tales of triumph and tribulation. If there is any way we can, we want to meet you guys.

The cellar is a very real place, and I am sometimes frustrated, and sometimes tickled by some of the stuff I have read here. I have even thought of making a book of quotes from the cellar.

The few I have had PM's with, have demonstrated a knowledge of me better than people that have known me for 30 years or more.

The response I recived from my "I'm Leaving You" thread was overwhelming. This is more like a "brick and morter cofffee shop" than alot of places I go to IRL. Maby it is the anymouse(sp) nature of the Internet or, it is as mentioned above the people who stay here are intellagent and thoughtful, with interesting things to say. I have seen alot of your pictures on frappr and you look like the kind of folks I like to hang with.

If any of you come to my house I brew up some wiked ass coffee, so come on over and kick back with Lady Keryx and me. Love terry&becky
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote