The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 07-03-2004, 04:18 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It wasn't random, blowing your mind isn't thinking, and when you say you got a hard time with me I address it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

I keep going back to the thought I posted in another thread, why should there be a universe? Why should matter and energy exist? Wouldn't nothing existing be much simpler?
Here's something I read several years ago. It made my head hurt. Perhaps you'll get it, and can explain it to me. It seems to make sense in some wildly confusing way. This link used to be the first result that came up when you Googled "Why does anything exist at all?"

http://www.hedweb.com/nihilism/nihilf01.htm
Old 07-03-2004, 05:09 PM   #18
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko
When it comes to logic, I have as much trouble with the concept that the Universe just *is* as I do that God just *is.* I keep going back to the thought I posted in another thread, why should there be a universe? Why should matter and energy exist? Wouldn't nothing existing be much simpler?

If I choose the God theory, I'm left with the question of where did God come from?
Precisely. It's not an idea that's easier to get your head around. My thinking is, we know the universe exists, but we don't know if God does. Therefore, it's slightly simpler for the universe to be eternal than for the universe to be created by an intelligence which is eternal.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:15 PM   #19
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

Here's something I read several years ago. It made my head hurt. Perhaps you'll get it, and can explain it to me. It seems to make sense in some wildly confusing way. This link used to be the first result that came up when you Googled "Why does anything exist at all?"

http://www.hedweb.com/nihilism/nihilf01.htm
I'm no physicist, but to me the argument this person is making could be simplified to this: You have two givens: n and -n. When added together they give a sum total of zero, therefore, nothing exists. The problem with that logic is that n and -n are not intersecting sets of variables. If they were, then "nothing" would indeed exist. However, "something" does still exist, and play all the fancy footwork with advanced physics that you want, here the universe still is. I don't buy it.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:43 PM   #20
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

For some reason, what I got out of it was basically "there are two possible ways things could be...either something exists, or nothing does. Obviously, something exists."
Old 07-03-2004, 06:15 PM   #21
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
It wasn't random, blowing your mind isn't thinking, and when you say you got a hard time with me I address it.
So you call me an annoying drunk moron? Now I've made a few posts that would have deserved that reaction, but not this one.

You hadn't even posted in the thread so I'm baffled how it was I "got a hard time with you."???

Blowing my mind isn't thinking? I find some things about life so unexplainably fascinating, have as long as I can remember....that's one of the biggest reasons I have in my belief that there's something bigger than just science going on.

One of my favorite things about this place is that I've never felt I had to be "careful" in what I say. I don't expect everyone to love me, I crack wise a lot, and post things that can be misconstrued, but most people can see it's sarcasm, or teasing like I do with LJ, etc.

I had a couple little spats with Syc & Marichiko for example, that was heat of the moment stuff and we pm'd and made nice. When I'd been seriously an ass, and knew that I was being an ass, I apologized and or went out of my way to let them know that I was at fault.

So aside from being a smartass, I think I'm generally getting along here, not trying to be obnoxious or pissing people off just for the sake of it like a few.

So what did I do to piss you off exactly? Just irritated in general with me? Must be something substantial cause ripping into me like that out of the blue was kind of cold.

Last edited by blue; 07-03-2004 at 06:19 PM.
blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Me: just sitting here

You: (implying we don't THINK) "I have a real hard time with the soup & spark crowd."

You started it
Old 07-03-2004, 06:27 PM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

(Otherwise, quit thinking of me as different from all the other posters please)
Old 07-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #24
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
For some reason, what I got out of it was basically "there are two possible ways things could be...either something exists, or nothing does. Obviously, something exists."
Well, you could be right. I have alot of difficulty with taking in that kind of information these days. You probably should get someone's else's opinion over mine. I'm not trying to make anyone believe in a greater intelligence, anyway. I figure if God needs for you to believe in her, she'll probably tap you on the shoulder one of these days. Or maybe not. Or maybe my own belief is misguided. Who knows? Live and let live sez I.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:40 PM   #25
blue
Operations Operative

THINK

No, that wasn't what I meant at all. I wasn't implying anything other than the fact that some people look but don't see anything special about all the little miracles. Don't take the time to really consider how special some seemingly ordinary things are.

I started what? I made a comment about my beliefs, you called me an idiot.

I'd like to think I don't think of you any different, but I've read your posts regularily for about a year, you like many others have earned my respect (not always my agreement) so if you think I'm a jerk it bugs me a little more than someone I don't know from Adam.

Still tho, and I'll put it bluntly as is my nature...What the fuck did I do to you?
Old 07-03-2004, 07:18 PM   #26
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't think of you as a jerk at all. You just poked me in the ribs. If you poke all the time, you're a jerk, but you don't.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #27
blue
Operations Operative

This might be a good time to take a break. I also got my ass reamed out in real life today. For the life of me I'm still not sure what I said wrong here OR there??

So, step back, take a big deep breath...(note to self, don't start some big overdramatic thread saying you're leaving).

Usually when my wife hates me you love me and vice versa, but everybody thinks I'm a dickhead today apparently.

So I'll sign off for a bit, take a good long look at myself, might be back.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #28
blue
Operations Operative

I DID NOT poke you in the ribs. Not intentionally.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:43 PM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's my fault, because I take personally what you didn't intend personally, which is a cheap trick to make a point harder.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:50 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I have a real hard time with the soup & spark crowd.
I don't see that as suggesting that group doesn't think. Only that he can't accept their conclusions. Must be the full moon.
I guess I'm going to have to revive my tagline.
"Don't take it personal, don't make it personal."