The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-31-2001, 10:35 PM   #16
Nic Name
retired

I recall the scene outside the hotel, from recent news on CNN, where the only casualty was the suicide bomber. Your point is well taken, though, and I thought before I posted that one.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 01:42 AM   #17
dave

Since I tend to follow these things fairly closely, allow me to comment:

It's very very very unlikely that the leg shown is that of a victim. The explosion, which is generally in the abdominal area of the attacker, basically rips their midsection to pieces, leaving limbs and occasionally a nice head rolling down the road (true story, many times over). However, the attacker hardly ever gets close enough to an innocent to actually blow their body apart - this is why most suicide bombers wrap the explosives in nails and the like - the shrapnel does the killing, not the explosion. There are, of course, cases where the explosion itself will cause a fatality other than the bomber, but these are the exception, not the rule.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:37 AM   #18
Nic Name
retired

Jerusalem suicide bomber only one killed in blast

By The Jerusalem Post Internet Staff

A Palestinian suicide bomber blew himself up near a Jerusalem hotel early this morning.

Eleven people sustained minor wounds in the blast.

The blast took place in front of the David Citadel Hotel (formerly the Jerusalem Hilton) on King David Street shortly after 7:30 a.m.

The pedestrians, waiting at a nearby bus stop, were lightly wounded by shards of glass and metal fragments in the explosion.

They were taken to Hadassah-University Hospital on Mount Scopus and Shaare Zedek Hospital for treatment, Israel Radio reported.

The terrorist, killed in the blast, was targeting senior government ministers, according to a statement released by Islamic Jihad.

http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2001/1...ews.39383.html

Israeli police and bomb units at the scene of the suicide bombing

The suicide bomber who struck in Jerusalem has been identified as a member of Islamic Jihad.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/bre.../breaking4.htm

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-02-2002 at 12:47 AM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote