The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #16
mrnoodle
bent

:hafucking
Old 04-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #17
jaguar
whig

Sarcasm the retreat of the morally retarded. Take that oscar wilde and co.

New Utopia is cute and all but sadly, the truth is like so many similar 'freedom projects', it's nothing more than a dirty scam.
See here and notice here how being a 'Charter Citizen' costs $25000, you can also purchase bank licences, trust licences and 'Class A' bank licences for wads of cash. The prince has a long history of being involved in scams and was recently stopped by the SEC from floating unsecured bonds. Still, it's a tad more complex than his previous 'longlevity' scams and his wife's old habit of drug dealing.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #18
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
here is New Utopia:
Oh yeah, I've seen the drawings, I was just wondering if angus has been to the site and snapped some photos.

Last edited by jinx; 04-26-2005 at 03:53 PM.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #19
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

I wonder what it would cost me to usurp the throne? Or unseat the Poet Laureate?

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Or even de-Pants the Poet Laureate...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #21
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

don't know if I want to see that................but I think I will start my own "Princessiapality" just so I can issue my own coins, wear a nifty robe, and brainwash my way into the misguided's pockets............anyone want to become a citizen? I'll give you a nifty title like "DeckSwabber of Disillusionmentville".....and it will cost you mere pence compared to the spiritual riches I will bestow upon you.........
Oops - was I too sarcastic?

Old 04-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #22
jaguar
whig

Quote:
To do is to be (Neitzsche) To be is to do (Kant) Do be do be do (Sinatra)
I'd sign up if your sig is anything to go by, i love it!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #23
mrnoodle
bent

I, too, want to be a citizen, just because of your name. Every time I read it, I have that song in my head for the rest of the day.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:27 PM   #24
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

okay - an appreciation for SARCASTIC humor and ROCKIN music are requirements for citizenship. and my minions shall pay homage with beer, steak, and chocolate. (I promise to share.)

Old 04-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #25
mrnoodle
bent

Ok. I feel better after my rant. Angus, don't run off. I'm intrigued -- convince me, or make a good start at convincing me, that New Utopia is viable, its leaders are legit, and its precepts are workable.

In other words, convince me that you are not batshit. I say this with a fully open mind.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

the only problem with us saying cool about a new society is that it must a viable idea, and not smell like a scam being perpetrated by a known con artist and using Ayn Rand to say "see it will work".

and the cellar isn't about everybody ganging up on someone who is different. (that is just a side benefit ) each and every one of us sticks our necks out with unpopular ideas on a fairly regular basis - and we get jabbed for it. you were gently jabbed and got all bent out of shape and decided that the martyr card was your most viable option. sorry, doesn't work.

if you've got some "new" idea that you want others to appreciate and support, you had better be prepared to convince the world why it is better than out current framework. temper tantrums don't accomplish that.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #27
lookout123

wait, wait - i can't count that fast! too many red herrings!!!

ok, i'm better now. don't make this about society. this is about you. this is about your desire to be different, without the ramifications that different brings. i think that is about it.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #28
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus
Thank you for having me. It is time to repair to the BatCave for some serious drinking. And American Idol on the big screen. Adieu.
You drink?

It's great to be batshit, just ask me. The problem is, run-of-the-mill tortured artist syndrome isn't true crazy. Weariness. I dismiss your weariness as an unwillingness to back up your spiel. I'm sure Lord Lazarus the Benevolent does the same thing if he finds an audience that questions his motives -- cuts and runs.

Stay and play. Pwease?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #29
lookout123

Quote:
and because my marriage ended today.
now see there - that is something that, if you had chosen to address it, would have provoked words of encouragement, support, and concern. if you look around the cellar, you will find quite a bit of that. many of us have experience in this area, and can sympathize. many cellarites have experience in the arts as poets, writers, musicians, tape thingamajig makers, etc. they make fair and for the most compassionate critics if they think your are really looking for input. most cellarites are just looking for some conversation, and if it's been awhile for you, i can assure you that most circles of friends specialize in the fine art of ridicule. welcome to the cellar. if this is a recipe for a community you'd like to belong to, then pull up a seat, absorb the sights and sounds. LJ will be along to administer the test. oh yeah, don't feed the wolf.

as far as the grand poobah of send-me-all-your-money island? whatever.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:44 AM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Ahhhhhh yes.... of Castles In The Air. [draws from pipe] [blows concentric smoke rings] I'm reminded of an old poem I once read of Castles In The Air.

Castles in the air.
Neurotics build them.
Psychotics live in them.
And I collect the rent.

Having to work while all this interesting discussion is going on is very distressing to me. Would the Principality of New Utopia support me entirely so that I may pursue my dream of never having to leave my internet connection?

One of the problems with these kinds of utopian societies, even ones developed by people who misunderstand Heinlein, are the sonsofbitches running them still want to take my guns.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 04-27-2005 at 12:47 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote