The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-28-2004, 06:08 PM   #16
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
She didn't say that...
LOL, thanks, I was just thinking..."Where in the fuck did they come up with THAT???"
:p

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #17
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

African-American: Having citizenships in an African state and an American state (nothing to do with the color of skin)

Native American also indigenous American: Born in an American state

Asian-American: Having citizenships in an Asian state and an American state (nothing to do with the color of skin)

Please note that there are 3 Americas, North America, Central America and South America

State is another meaning for country.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #18
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by FelinesAreFine
African-American: Having citizenships in an African state and an American state (nothing to do with the color of skin)

Native American also indigenous American: Born in an American state

Asian-American: Having citizenships in an Asian state and an American state (nothing to do with the color of skin)

Please note that there are 3 Americas, North America, Central America and South America

State is another meaning for country.
Funny...I've never heard such moaning over what people call themselves culturally. Never. (that wasn't directed at you Felines, just in general).

It seemed to be perfectly ok to say "Irish-American" "Italian-American" and so forth, but as soon as "African-American" comes into the picture, suddenly it's nuclear meltdown time with some folk...goddamn! In fact, it seemed perfectly ok for the Irish, Italians, etc. who were born in America to just call themselves "Irish" or "Italian" and they weren't even born in Ireland or Italy!!!! Imagine that! They're allowed to identify themselves by culture, but blacks suddenly can't?? That's bullshit.

*pissed...* (again not at you, but in general)

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 01-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #19
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by dar512

I don't think you have to be a horse to understand horse racing. I don't think you have to be black to be offended by racism.
Understood, but I said "affected" not "offended". Any and everyone should be offended by racism, classism, sexism, etc.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:28 PM   #20
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore
It seemed to be perfectly OK to say "Irish-American" "Italian-American" and so forth,
I couldn't agree with you more. People ask me if I'm Polish. Nope. I'm native American. "Oh! What tribe?" "No, you don't understand, I was born here, too."

Let's all dump the Whatever-American and just call ourselves American because that's what we are. No more, no less. Darker skinned people are no more African than I am from Russia. The abuse of the English language for the sake of political correctness is appalling.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #21
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
I think I can honestly say that I am affected by racism when I get a smaller scholarship and am eligble for fewer scholarships simply because I'm white.

But of course thats not your idea of racism....no no no. Thats affirmative action!

Here's a little something for you. When I started my freshment year at Drexel in Information Systems in 2000, we have about 30 black/hispanic students with massive scholarships. It is now my 4th year (5 year program), fairly sure only about 10 of those are left. It gets better, they all had scholarships of some sort - yet the ones that I talked to had lesser SAT scores and school GPA than a friend of mine who had NO scholarship.

I'm not trying to say that black/hispanic studnets are stupid. I know they're not. But they do get the "easy" way in, get more benifits and yet claim to be oppressed. They get into colleges with lesser grades, lesser desire to learn, get scholarships and then drop out. Those 20 spots could have been filled by more deserving students and the money could have been better distributed.

Yeah I don't know racism at all...

Ever been chased down the street by a gang of kids with bats solely based on the color of your skin?

That happened to my father when he was a kid living in the Cherry Hill section of Baltimore City.

Ever been turned down for a promotion based on race?

Again, he was (years ago), working for the Social Security Administration.

Ever been called a nigger? Again, my father hasAND I HAVE, so if the answers to those questions is NO, then NO I feel that you DON'T know racism at it's deepest and nastiest.

What happens regarding schools and scholarships is a drop in the bucket compared to half the shit that still goes on out there to "minorites". What happened to James Byrd in Texas was only about 6 years ago, not 20, 30, 40, 100 years ago, and as long as shit like that can still happen, then there will always be problems with "race relations" in America.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #22
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by FelinesAreFine

I couldn't agree with you more. People ask me if I'm Polish. Nope. I'm native American. "Oh! What tribe?" "No, you don't understand, I was born here, too."

Let's all dump the Whatever-American and just call ourselves American because that's what we are. No more, no less. Darker skinned people are no more African than I am from Russia. The abuse of the English language for the sake of political correctness is appalling.
Ah but there is something to be said about ethnic/cultural pride that FNF thinks is so "wrong". But, you made a good point regarding the whole "American" tag. You said that you were BORN here, so yes you are American, but that's not where "your people" are from, so to speak. Everyone has immigrant ties, no matter how your forefathers and mothers came here, willingly or by force. I guess I don't consider "country of birth" as "ethnic background". Plus, isn't it sort of redundant to say that you are American when asked by another American (unless you appear to be from another country).

Many people enjoy identifying themselves by culture, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I hear Latinos all the time saying, "I'm Puerto Rican" or "I'm Mexican" etc. Or, "Oh I was born here, but my people are from...." So, I don't see where the problem lies...people can identify themselves however the hell they please. It's not up to me to tell them what to say. *shrugs*

Old 01-28-2004, 06:47 PM   #23
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar

And how do you define "truly affected by racism"?
I described a couple of incidents in another reply in this thread.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:29 PM   #24
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

My people come from Earth.

Actually, I don't claim to have any "people". I have a family: my mom, my husband, sisters, etc. I guess they're my "people".

I'm just sick and tired of everyone wanting to be a victim. "They made me do it" attitudes are cop outs. No one wants to own up to their actions or lack thereof. Come on! Whatever happened to good old fashioned honest work?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:49 PM   #25
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:

Ever been chased down the street by a gang of kids with bats solely based on the color of your skin?

That happened to my father when he was a kid living in the Cherry Hill section of Baltimore City.

Ever been called a nigger? Again, my father hasAND I HAVE, so if the answers to those questions is NO, then NO I feel that you DON'T know racism at it's deepest and nastiest.

What happens regarding schools and scholarships is a drop in the bucket compared to half the shit that still goes on out there to "minorites". What happened to James Byrd in Texas was only about 6 years ago, not 20, 30, 40, 100 years ago, and as long as shit like that can still happen, then there will always be problems with "race relations" in America.
All those things are evil and the people who did them should be punished. However, I don't think that makes what those boys did wrong.

I was small, weak, and bookish in school - and I got beaten up a number of times. Do I deserve a scholarship for that? Where does it end if we take the view that society owes some group special privileges.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #26
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Quote:

Give me a fricking break...

Chased down by kids with bats? It's ok, really. Assholes will find a reason not to like you no matter what color you are. Had he been white, they might have chased him down because they thought he was a fag or looked at them the wrong way. Whoop dee doo.

Turned down for a promotion based on race? Oh you poor soul. Well I can say that the white man knows how that feels just as well as the black man these days. Did I mention the scholarship/college admission thing? Well it works for jobs too. Cut that racims bullshit out, it goes both ways. Just as many blacks keep their jobs no matter how shitty they do them and get promoted because the managment is scared shitless that they'll scream "Racism!!!" if they fire or fail to promote the lazy ass.

Been called a nigger? Awww. Well it saddening that there is one additional insult people can use on you instead of the more typical, cunt, bitch, slut, whore, but hey at least they can't call you white trash. Also, in the 8 or so years that I have been in the US I have NEVER heard a WHITE person call a black person a nigger. It was always the blacks calling each other niggers...or niggahs...

Quit blowing the idiotic shit out of proportion. The racism that goes on is NOTHING along the scales of the discrimination against the gay community and I see nothing along the lines of Scholarships for Fags or the Society of Gay Engineers.

Yeah I may not have been called a nigger or chased around with bats for being black, because I'm not black; they had to find a diffrent reason. Despite being white, people found just as many reasons not to like me. Oh and in middle school there was this black kid who liked to call me "white Russian shit", why I don't know. It never bothered me much and I never saw it as a "race" thing, I saw it as being "different".

You're no worse off than I am, black or white, there is always something to hate. Maybe you would have been worse off way back when slavery was perfectly fine, but that was a long time ago, and times change. I don't see the Jews demand compensation from the Egyptians for the pyramids. Deal with it.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 PM   #27
juju
no one of consequence

It's actually known now that the Egyptians didn't use slaves to build the pyramids.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:06 AM   #28
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Ah but there is something to be said about ethnic/cultural pride that FNF thinks is so "wrong". But, you made a good point regarding the whole "American" tag. You said that you were BORN here, so yes you are American, but that's not where "your people" are from, so to speak. Everyone has immigrant ties, no matter how your forefathers and mothers came here, willingly or by force. I guess I don't consider "country of birth" as "ethnic background". Plus, isn't it sort of redundant to say that you are American when asked by another American (unless you appear to be from another country).

Many people enjoy identifying themselves by culture, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I hear Latinos all the time saying, "I'm Puerto Rican" or "I'm Mexican" etc. Or, "Oh I was born here, but my people are from...." So, I don't see where the problem lies...people can identify themselves however the hell they please. It's not up to me to tell them what to say. *shrugs*
I think that culturally separating yourself from other people like that actually causes racism.

Racism is caused by people not understanding anything about a culture.They only see the differences and not the similarities. They say, "He ain't like us.. let's git 'im!". If, instead of separating themselves culturally, blacks made an effort to show others that they are just like everyone else, there would be less racism. This would be incredibly easy, since we have a lot more in common that we have different. But instead, blacks take their uniqueness as a sense of empowerment. That's great for them, but what about the people who still don't understand them?

With that said, I know it's not really such a black and white issue (ha!), and I think a lot of people <i>have</i> actually realized that there is little to no discernible difference, and racism is much less as a result.

Last edited by juju; 01-29-2004 at 12:15 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:

Funny...I've never heard such moaning over what people call themselves culturally. Never. (that wasn't directed at you Felines, just in general).
You've just never been around when I go into my "I'm an American, not a hyphenated one, dammit" speech.

I actually feel strongly about this issue as well.

One of the deals of being an AMERICAN is that our forebears gave up alliegances and ties to their former homes, and embraced this NEW country.

This was the case up until only recently in our country's history, actually.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:26 AM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
It's actually known now that the Egyptians didn't use slaves to build the pyramids.
The extraterrestrials that did the initial design work helped them.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote