The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

FFS
It's a REQUEST. At a meeting which starts at 18.30, it is REQUESTED that the Councillors refrain from eating all the sandwiches until after sundown, so that they can all eat together (and some food is left).

Even the Hate Mail clarifies it later in the same article.

Quote:
Most of the council's debates are scheduled to start at 6.30pm.

But with the sun not setting until an hour later, devout Muslims will be unable to break their fast - known as Iftar - until midway through the meeting, where they will be given a 45-minute break.

Food and refreshments, such as sandwiches and biscuits, are normally laid on at town hall meetings.

Controversy has arisen because all members have been told not to eat until after sunset, out of courtesy to their Muslim colleagues, and so there will be food left for them later in the evening.

In the memo to councillors, John Williams, the council's head of democratic services, said: 'It is requested that members do not partake of any refreshments until after the Iftar refreshments are served.'
Still, if a request for common courtesty makes a country an Islamic Republic, then I guess it Britain already is.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #17
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Sorry for jumping in without reading the thread, but isn't Ramadan the one that killed Mothra in the Tokyo Bay?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Happy Ramadan, everyone. I'd send you presents, but I figured I'd deprive you of them instead in the spirit of the season.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #19
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The gift that keeps on not giving.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
and the burger and fries you ate last night while ignoring people. Does internet sex count? BAM! ok, off the bitch mode now and on to better things.
I feel so left out...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #21
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
BigV- 256 lbs? you're like, what, 6'-5"?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'll get the home scale number for you next time--I forgot to step on the scale this morning (the home scale is my reference scale...it's the same one as in the opening posts). The doctor's office scale reads... hm. Can't remember that one either from the physical this summer. I'll get that value too.

But your numbers are pretty close.

6'4", 240 lbs.

On a different note, yesterday's fast went fine. Nil orally until well after 9pm. Today I slept in and took my morning coffee and a banana at about 7:30. I'm hungry now. No, that's not really accurate. I want to eat. But if I do a gut check (yep still there in abundance), it's not really "hunger". More like.. time to eat. I expect I'll be happy to eat at "Iftar" (approx 7:45).
Old 09-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
FFS
It's a REQUEST. At a meeting which starts at 18.30, it is REQUESTED that the Councillors refrain from eating all the sandwiches until after sundown, so that they can all eat together (and some food is left).

Even the Hate Mail clarifies it later in the same article.

Still, if a request for common courtesty makes a country an Islamic Republic, then I guess it Britain already is.
That is still crazy. That is PC gone wild, nothing less. You want to eat late, have at it. Don't try to everyone else to do it so as not to offend our Muslim brethern. Talk about political correctness...
Old 09-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #24
HungLikeJesus

I'm a strict carnivore. I would like to request that no one eat fruits or vegetables in my sight.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #25
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

"Two cents' worth" could and perhaps should be a possessive, but you can get away with it unapostrophized as an adjectival phrase modifying "worth." Punctuate to taste, apparently.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
That is still crazy. That is PC gone wild, nothing less. You want to eat late, have at it. Don't try to everyone else to do it so as not to offend our Muslim brethern. Talk about political correctness...
"PC gone wild" is a ridiculous cliche and removes you from the conversation, sorry. But pretending I haven't seen it - it's about courtesy, not offence. Don't scarf down all the sandwiches when you know perfectly well there are people at the meeting not allowed to start eating them until later. Haven't you ever saved someone a plate of food at a buffet because you're worried all the good stuff will go before they get there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
I'm a strict carnivore. I would like to request that no one eat fruits or vegetables in my sight.
What? That just makes no sense. The council is not requesting that people don't eat. They are asking that in a catered meeting, people eat later so that everyone gets the same chance.

Look, I think all religions have silly rules - and especially about eating. Wait, what? You can't eat until 19.00 because God told you? Oh shush. You can't eat meat today or this time next week until the end of your life because God told you? You're kidding. Hang on, you can't have those two things on the same plate...? etc etc etc.

It's not up to me to agree or disagree with how someone lives their life, but I can choose whether to be respectful or not.I wouldn't sneak high fat into a meal I was cooking for someone on a diet. I wouldn't put beef bouillon in a stew for a vegetarian and I wouldn't sneak pork into a dish for a Muslim.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #27
HungLikeJesus

SG - I thought you knew better than to take something I write seriously.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #28
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
What? That just makes no sense. The council is not requesting that people don't eat. They are asking that in a catered meeting, people eat later so that everyone gets the same chance.
Sounds like the meeting and the catering was really poorly planned. I think it's ridiculous to offer refreshments but then suggest that you'd be rude to have some until they've been sitting out a while - because of some people's religion.

Will the sandwiches all be eaten before some have a chance at them? Then you didn't make enough.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

From the article: And it has also staged a Bonfire Night party which featured a Bengal tiger instead of Guy Fawkes.

As a Bengals fan, this really offends me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Boy, was my dad mad at the Bungles yesterday!