The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #271
headsplice
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Yes, and that's the problem with Bush-bashers. They go on and on...

If you're a cult member it creates a warm fuzzy feeling of belonging. Otherwise it's just tedious.
Unbeliever! You'll burn in Hell!
Or you might, you know, be arrested for being you. Whatever.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #272
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
If you're a cult member it creates a warm fuzzy feeling of belonging. Otherwise it's just tedious.
Being one of the 35% Bush lovers left, it's more likely that you begin to be member of a cult club...

It's official now:

There's no evidence Saddam Hussein had a relationship with Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and his Al-Qaida associates, according to a Senate Report (page 70) on prewar intelligence on Iraq.

Last edited by Hippikos; 09-08-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Hippikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #273
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I heard Mr Bush on the news saying that 'it doesn't matter what we believe...ummmm...errr...our enemies believed it and that was enough'.

I'm just wondering if all wars are started because of what the enemy believes?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:46 AM   #274
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

More examples of lying as normal from the George Jr administration. From the NY Times of 8 September 2006:
Quote:
C.I.A. Said to Find No Hussein Link to Terror Chief
The Central Intelligence Agency last fall repudiated the claim that there were prewar ties between Saddam Hussein’s government and an operative of Al Qaeda, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, according to a report issued Friday by the Senate Intelligence Committee.

The disclosure undercuts continuing assertions by the Bush administration that such ties existed, and that they provided evidence of links between Iraq and Al Qaeda. The Republican-controlled committee, in a second report, also sharply criticized the administration for its reliance on the Iraqi National Congress during the prelude to the war in Iraq.
Who is calling the George Jr administation liars? A Republican dominated committee. But then it did not take a genius to know that this George Jr administration lies persistently. So frequently that only an extremist addicted to blind bias could deny it.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 AM   #275
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
But then it did not take a genius to know that this George Jr administration lies persistently. So frequently that only an extremist addicted to blind bias could deny it.
To be fair, in the runup to war when these lies were told, people still believed Bush. Absent clear proof, you have to take your President at their word. It's only with a few years of hindsight that we have more than just an uneasy gut feeling that he's a liar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #276
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos
Being one of the 35% Bush lovers left, it's more likely that you begin to be member of a cult club...
Cults are not characterized by minority status, they are characterized by the memetics of the belief system. For example, Nazism is a cult, but in Germany in 1940 it wasn't a minority.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #277
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's because Adolf modeled a fer us or agin us climate, copied by Saddam and attempted by Bush Jr.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #278
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
That's because Adolf modeled a fer us or agin us climate, copied by Saddam and attempted by Bush Jr.
There's much more to cult memetics than that...one reason your attempt to tar Bush with that brush is flawed. Or would you apply it to FDR too?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #279
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
To be fair, in the runup to war when these lies were told, people still believed Bush. Absent clear proof, you have to take your President at their word.
Then why was I posting so many citations and concepts that repeatedly suggested George Jr was lying back then? I did not enter 2001 with this much contempt for him. He has earned this contempt as, starting in 2001, we witnessed lie after lie. It is apparently why someone in the German Chancellery leaked notes of that first Bush/Schmidt meeting in 2001. It is why the foreign minister of Norway suggested that George Jr would destroy the Oslo accords. Even the need for a strategic defense missile system was promoted on lies - when no enemy existed AND when this nation's top most experts said the system would not be effective.

My god - even George Carlin the comedian saw through those George Jr lies when he defined two terrorist in a row boat paddling into New York harbor, throwing a suitcase on the dock, and rowing out.

Let’s see. George Jr said no one expected terrorists to highjack airplanes and fly them into buildings. That is a first chapter in a best selling Tom Clancy novel because those who come from where the work gets done feared same more than five years previously. That is exactly what terrorists tried to do in Paris to destroy the Eiffel Tower. Even George Jr's own PDB suggested a same scenario. So George Jr lied again. When your president lies persistently, how do you take his word for it?

Ok - I lived through Vietnam and made sure I understood why Vietnam happened. Leaders that lie. So maybe I am more sensitive to when presidents lie frequently. We now have a history lesson. Learn what scumbag leaders do. See what George Jr did in 2001, 2002, and 2003. Appreciate why I accurately smelled an extremist rat so early. Don’t let the president in 2030 do it again. I saw this lying with Nixon. Perfect example complete with a president who sees enemies lurking everywhere. I wonder what they call George Jr’s enemies list?

Even John Lennon could get on Nixon's enemy's list - just another symptom of a president who lies. All he said was, "Give peace a chance." That made Lennon an enemy to extremists.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #280
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
I wonder what they call George Jr’s enemies list?
"moveon.org"

Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #281
tw

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder what they call George Jr’s enemies list?
"moveon.org"
From what I have seen, Moveon.org is its own worst enemy. Are they reliable enought to even create a list?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #282
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
From what I have seen, Moveon.org is its own worst enemy. Are they reliable enought to even create a list?
They're apparently able to send out spam, and to spend George Soros' money. I actually used to be on their list, back in the day when Clinton was thought to be a cute widdle wascal.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #283
tw

Quote:
...back in the day when Clinton was thought to be a cute widdle wascal.
Oh for the good old days when presidents only lied about things we all lie about - sex. Today we lie to murder 98,000+ Iraqis, to torture, to kidnap people all over the world (extraoridinary renditions), to claim loots was not ongoing, wiretap Americans without judicial review, to fly to John McCain's birthday party as New Orleans was drowning, call arsenic in the drinking water acceptable, pervert science for the glory of religion, corporate welfare to anti-American steel and big pharma, and blame it all on a mythical network of world wide terrorists. Oh for the good old days when presidents were honest and there was no reason for 'moveon' to exist.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #284
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Oh for the good old days when presidents were honest and there was no reason for 'moveon' to exist.
Like Kennedy? Of course, he had the excuse that nobody asked...

Perhaps "everybody lies about sex" (I don't think that's true either), but we don't all have the opportunity to do so under oath. That being the original "reason for Movon.org to exist".

Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #285
tw

Quote:
Perhaps "everybody lies about sex" (I don't think that's true either), but we don't all have the opportunity to do so under oath.
Why is lying under oath about sex only equivalent to a president that kidnaps people all over the world, hides them in secret prisons, and has no problem with torture? It says something about extremists. Extraordinary rendition and torture is just as evil as lying about sex? No wonder I have so little respect for left and right wing extremists who see enemies everywhere. In a world of perspectives, extremists see lying about sex as more evil than torture. No wonder extremists so desperately want Armageddon.

Last edited by tw; 09-10-2006 at 11:01 PM.