The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-25-2002, 10:05 PM   #271
matt
At last! A dead star!

Hey, I forgot about this thread...

I've been listening to some BBC Radio 1 Essential Mixes I got off Audiogalaxy. The Massive Attack set (12-11-94) is incredible.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:56 AM   #272
dave

All the AIC stuff sycamore posted, plus...

<b>Otis Redding - Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay</b> - what can I say? It's good stuff. I can't help but like it.

<b>Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line</b> - more dead musicians. Man, this is just a great song. A part of my childhood is held by it. Listening to it reminds me of what it was like to be young, goofing off in the living room with my sister and watching music videos, the curtains open and the sun just spilling in. Those are great memories.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:52 PM   #273
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Stone Temple Pilots--No. 4: STP has never put out a bad record (although I can't speak for their most recent one b/c I've never heard more than one song from it). But after Tiny Music, I hoped for a more rocking STP CD. And they delivered No. 4. It combines what they do best (playing loud rock songs) along with their best David Bowie imitations.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 06:12 PM   #274
elSicomoro

Other fun stuff in the player this week:

The Smiths--Singles: One of those bands I discovered after they broke up. Moz rules...that mopey bastard. And they have some of the best song titles I've ever heard. Johnny Marr was doing some amazing guitar work ("How Soon Is Now?") years before it was available on a pedal. My favorite Smiths songs? Hmmm..."How Soon Is Now?" (obvious), "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now," "William, It Was Really Nothing," "Panic."

System of a Down--Toxicity: Fantastic CD. FUCKING FANTASTIC CD! Period.

311--Grassroots: My favorite of their CDs. Good stuff.

Outkast--Aquemini: They are goofy as hell, but they can rhyme. One of the few hip-hop groups that I think are truly unique.

Ozomatli--Embrace the Chaos: If you saw MTV's retrospect on the 1992 LA Riots, you'll see a few members of Ozo on there. Great band...lots of energy...very conscientious.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:49 AM   #275
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
The Smiths--Singles: One of those bands I discovered after they broke up. Moz rules...that mopey bastard. And they have some of the best song titles I've ever heard. Johnny Marr was doing some amazing guitar work ("How Soon Is Now?") years before it was available on a pedal. My favorite Smiths songs? Hmmm..."How Soon Is Now?" (obvious), "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now," "William, It Was Really Nothing," "Panic."
The Smiths rule my mothafuckin' world.

The Smiths -- Rank: Old Moz n' the boys rock out on "The Queen Is Dead" tour.

Underworld -- Live at Belfort Eurokeenes, Blue Mountain Live, & Fuji Festival Live: All available to download here.

Badly Drawn Boy -- The Hour Of Bewilderbeast: I'd forgotten how good this is. I need to get his "About A Boy" soundtrack that just came out...
Old 05-09-2002, 08:10 AM   #276
dave

<b>Tom Petty - Playback</b> - Jenni got me this, for no specific reason. It was a great idea.

It's a 6-CD box set of Tom Petty's finest from 1973-1993. It's got <b>all</b> of the good ones. Pretty awesome.

I ripped all of the CDs last night and copied a good bit of it onto my iPod. And it's providing hours of listening enjoyment.

Tom Petty is truly timeless.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:11 PM   #277
dave

<b>Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal</b> - good good stuff. Jen told me about this a long while ago, but hearing the Michael Jackson version reminded me of it and I just downloaded it last week. Definitely one of the better covers I've heard recently.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:16 PM   #278
elSicomoro

I like the Smiths, but Morrissey grates my nerves after a while. But at least I can listen to a whole Smiths/Morrissey album, as opposed to some other bands (like Primus).

Spinning recently:

Pearl Jam--Ten: Arguably one of the best releases of the 90s.

Midnight Oil--Redneck Wonderland and 20,000 Watt R.S.L.: The latter is a greatest hits compilation released in '97. The former was their last release on Sony (in the US) in '98. Obviously, the greatest hits CD has classics like Beds are Burning, Forgotten Years, and Truganini. What most people probably don't know is that they've been around for almost 25 years. The older albums are good stuff--a cross between punk, rock, and new wave. The newer stuff is more experimental--surf rock, electronic (such as the work on Redneck Wonderland). They just released their latest album earlier this year, although I haven't heard it yet. They've always done a great job of mixing great music with a message.

Toadies--Rubberneck: Great band, great record. They just recently broke up. That sucks, considering they just released the follow-up to Rubberneck late last year (after a 7-year wait).

Helmet--Betty: Rumor has it that lead singer Page Hamilton was screaming so intensely at one show that blood was coming out of his mouth.

Reverend Horton Heat--Lucky 7: The Rev was the opener for the Toadies farewell show. In fact, he opened for them in '96 when they toured with the Butthole Surfers.

QUICK NOTE: Never go see the Butthole Surfers in concert unless they have a great opening act. I had to watch them twice, but only because STP, Flaming Lips, (1993) The Nixons, and the Reverend (1996) opened for them. My God...they are horrible.

Isaac Hayes--Greatest Hit Singles: Shut yo mouth!

The Brian Setzer Orchestra--The Dirty Boogie: It's a shame that the swing craze came and went. Setzer is already a classic, but this CD is great. A lot of other great swing bands came out during that time frame.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:27 AM   #279
dave

<b>Michael Jackson - Thriller</b> - pretty good album. Also have "Beat It" on here for a little variety. This was before he got super-lame.

<b>P.O.D. - Satellite</b> - still listen to this shit pretty frequently. I love it. Great album.

<b>David Ham - I Bought A Sony Clié PEG-NR70</b> - this isn't really an album, but man... this NR70 rocks my socks off.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:34 PM   #280
elSicomoro

This week in the player...

Presidents of the United States of America--self-titled: I haven't listened to this in a while. What a great pop record, full of guitar hooks and quirky lyrics.

Soundgarden--A-sides (greatest hits)

The Rev. Horton Heat--Holy Roller (compilation)

Linkin Park--Hybrid Theory

Living Colour--Pride: A greatest hits compilation along with 4 new songs (at the time--late 1995) and a remix.

Depeche Mode--The Singles: 86>98 and Exciter

Moby--Play: A classic. His new one, 18, came out Tuesday.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:03 PM   #281
elSicomoro

Whoohoo! 2 new CDs!!!

P.O.D.--Satellite: Not a bad CD. I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Moby--18: I am firmly convinced now. Richard Hall is a musical genius. Statues of him should be constructed. The guy wrote 150 songs for this record...and pared it down to 18. As a whole, the CD continues in the Play vein, but relies less on samples. Features Angie Stone, MC Lyte, and Sinead O'Connor...and includes the music that he performed at the SLC Closing Ceremonies (that was so rudely covered over by NBC).
Old 05-26-2002, 08:03 PM   #282
elSicomoro

Garbage--Garbage: Some bands put their best record out on the first try. Though their last 2 have been good, this is by far their best.

Seal--Seal (1991): More dance-oriented than his last 2, but still a great record.

Radiohead--The Bends: What is there to say really? It's Radiohead.

Dave Matthews Band--Crash: I'm not a rabid DMB fan, but I do like their studio CDs. It's put together seamlessly...and doesn't feel like it's a 70-minute CD.

The Juliana Hatfield 3--Become What You Are: The tunes are quirky, although the lyrics are a bit of a downer.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:29 PM   #283
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

Quote:
Radiohead--The Bends: What is there to say really? It's Radiohead.
i really don't get the "radiohead=great" comments. i've never really liked radiohead. wow, i must be the only one!
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:53 PM   #284
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by jeni
i really don't get the "radiohead=great" comments. i've never really liked radiohead. wow, i must be the only one!
Jeni, I don't like you any less for disliking them.

Seriously, I know lots of people that don't like them. "Too weird." I personally love Radiohead b/c of the great soundscapes they create, and I like Thom Yorke's voice.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:25 PM   #285
Scred
Wharf Rat

Talking

whats on the stereo.

grateful dead, NYE 12/31/88

KPIG.com

radioparadise.com

radiostorm.com
Scred is offline   Reply With Quote