Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #256
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
The only people who think the US is not imperial are US citizens, and not even all of them think that.
I find that very interesting.
I find it interesting that you feel qualified to speak for 6,225,170,264 people, especially when giving an off-the-wall and unsupported opinion. :p
Old 01-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #257
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The only people willing to indulge in random US bashing for fun are not from the US.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #258
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yeah, we didn't want more territory or people to become part of our family. We just wanted to use their island to support our Navy, and supply materials/labor that we would willingly pay for. Do what you want but don't interfere with out operations.

The fly in the ointment is Americans, being Americans, got involved with the natives on a personal basis. The lives of many of the natives and our military/support people got very intertwined and codependent. And you know, breaking up is hard to do.
Is that a bad thing?? This sounds a hell of a lot better than the alternative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
The only people willing to indulge in random US bashing for fun are not from the US.
Some things never change - Everyone else wants to bash the US, but answer me this - Who does EVERYONE call when they want something, need help, have a problem or a natural disaster strikes??? The US and we help every freakin one of them every freakin time!
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #259
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
Some things never change - Everyone else wants to bash the US, but answer me this - Who does EVERYONE call when they want something, need help, have a problem or a natural disaster strikes??? The US and we help every freakin one of them every freakin time!

mmmmm...... like you helped in Bhopal? or after the Exxon Valdiz?

Thats the face of American Imperialism that is so despised around the globe..... the 'anything for a dollar more' ethos that relegates human vaues to the accountants spread-sheet.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #260
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just how am I or the United States of America responsible for Bhopal?

The Exxon Valdez was an accident by an individual working for a private corporation using world standard procedures to do the job. They also paid billions to clean up. But that said how does that reflect on me or the country.

You Brits have done as much as anyone to dirty the oceans, and killed a hell of a lot more Indians than any chemical company. :p
Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #261
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee View Post
Thats the face of American Imperialism that is so despised around the globe..... the 'anything for a dollar more' ethos that relegates human values to the accountants spread-sheet.
Perhaps we should take all the money and build a freakin wall around our shit and let the rest of the world deal with their own problems. Would that satisfy you?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #262
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Everyone else wants to bash the US, but answer me this - Who does EVERYONE call when they want something, need help, have a problem or a natural disaster strikes???
What, are you Ghosbusters now?:p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #263
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Oh c'mon Dana you know the truth - we help every freakin body all the time. We are, BY FAR, the most generous nation on this planet - period. And I, for one, think a little appreciation would be nice once in awhile.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #264
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well we were waiting by the big Ghostbusters phone on that whole Bosnia situation, but for some reason it never rang.

If you want us out of NATO just ask. The time is right.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #265
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Oh c'mon Dana you know the truth - we help every freakin body all the time. We are, BY FAR, the most generous nation on this planet - period.
Well you have been reading too much propaganda. By percent GNP, the US is way down the list of generous nations. I believe the champions were Scandinavian and France. Something like 80% of American aid only went to 5 countries last I read - Israel, Egypt, Greece, Turkey, and Phillippines. Last time I looked, Israel and Egypt accounted for 50% of US foreign aid. Where is all this generosity?

Then it gets worse. Much of the aid is military - thereby returning to the US as military contracts. Generous? Numbers I have seen repeatedly never say that. But myths are easy to promote - such as Saddams WMDs.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #266
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You have not met the Phelps family I see.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #267
rkzenrage

Quote:
Is that a bad thing?? This sounds a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

True, and when four hurricanes hit my house and the rest of FL I never saw other nations doing squat to help... but they sure like to bitch, all the while they use our technology, send their kids to school here, come here for meds and surgery, ask our military (that is so evil) to bail theirs out at every turn, etc, etc, etc...
If we are so evil, don't use our agricultural, pharmaceutical, medical, engineering, textile, military technology, don't come here for your education and heart surgery, don't use US dollars to save or invest, don't buy US goods, don't use US ships or military goods, don't ask us to protect you when the UN drags it's sweet ass or won't help you or our support in the UN, don't-don't-don't, because if we are the bad guys, you don't want any damn thing to do with us... so put-up or shut-up.
Bunch of spoiled-ass teenagers bitching up a storm until allowance time or they need to use the car time rolls around.
Then their ass is entitled... we need to take care of our own first, no one gets help who does not vote US interests in the UN and no one gets help until the US hungry and homeless gets taken care of first.
We need to pull out of the Middle East and let them have at it, remember, that is what the terrorists say they want. See how happy they will be when it really happens.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #268
tw

Quote:
Who does EVERYONE call when they want something, need help, have a problem or a natural disaster strikes???
So who did respond to Liberia's call (a country created by Americans) when they recently needed from a military massacre? Not the US. So who rescued hundreds of Americans recently in Ivory Coast? Not the US. Why did the entire USS Lincoln task force sit nearby in Hong Kong for five days - never moved - as people were dying after a tsunami and after the world had been providing assistance? Who rescued so many Americans in Tehran when fanatics overran the US embassy? Whose army is so overtaxed due to so many humanitarian missions all over the world? Not the US. Who provided the Russians with necessary rescue equipment when their training submarine was trapped beneath the Pacific (as Americans argued for hours how to transport rescue equipment). Who had to be called to transport the USS Cole back to America for repair? And who paid for the rescue of Kuwait? Who bent over backwards to transport Seventh Corp to Saudi Arabia?

If you think only America does all these things, then your news sources sound too much like those liars over at Fox.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #269
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
True, and when four hurricanes hit my house and the rest of FL I never saw other nations doing squat to help...
Again too much Fox News hyperbias. When Katrina hit New Orleans, the French, British, Mexican, and numerous Caribbean nations immediately offered assistance. Many had equipment immediately available that was desperately needed in New Orlean. The American government refused to permit any to help. Why did Fox News forget to mention that? Something about the pride of a president is more important than lives in New Orleans?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #270
rkzenrage

I don't remember mentioning Katrina. I wrote about the entirety of my state after my home was hit by four of five hurricanes, all of them fours or above and my state hit by five in just a couple of months.
Read much?