Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
Well, that's different. Somehow.
TGRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #242
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Too late! NEXT! I'm fuckin sick to death of all the politicians who don't pay their taxes, yet expect us to do so. Fuck that.
Me too. I think, though (and this is not an excuse, it's an observation), that in the climate we've had for the past 8 years (more than 8 actually), with all the corruption everywhere, it would be more surprising to me to find anyone in politics who HADN'T cheated on their taxes (or who doesn't owe money).

And just because you have back taxes doesn't necessarily mean you cheated. It just means you didn't pay them. Is that wrong? YES, especially when you work in politics. I'm sick to death of all the greed and corruption in our society. But owing back taxes, there could be a reasonable explanation for that. I'm just saying...
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #243
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'm not interested in excuses anymore - These people need to be held to a HIGHER standard than the rest of us.

The IRS should investigate every single one of them. Starting at the top and going through the Senate and then the House, until every elected official has been done. Then they can work on the lobbyists and so on. The IRS needn't bother with the average American. I'm certain they will have more than enough to keep them busy with these guys till the next crop comes in in 2010 and 2012.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #244
sugarpop
Professor

I think they should start with the lobbyists, and then go through the government.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #245
classicman

How many of them are there? nah - Lets get the ones up for reelection first - start with them.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #246
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

We will never change the balance of power until we introduce a viable third party that can gain seats from the majority party and take away their overall majority in both houses.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #247
classicman

2 of the 3 will go in cahoots and there will be no equality.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #248
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Yes but that would force compromise agreements to be formed among uncommon thinkers. That might be refreshing.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #249
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
How many of them are there? nah - Lets get the ones up for reelection first - start with them.
There are probably hundreds of them for each person in Congress. Let's start with them. hell, just do them at the same time.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #250
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
We will never change the balance of power until we introduce a viable third party that can gain seats from the majority party and take away their overall majority in both houses.
HEAR, HEAR!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #251
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Not gonna happen, for a variety of reasons, the first of which is the fact that the people that fund the two major parties will crush a third party like a bug.

Why pay for three, when you only have to pay for two?

Also, any 3rd party that actually gained any power would be corrupted instantly, because the problem isn't with the parties, it's with the people.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #252
sugarpop
Professor

It's with the way elections are run. I said this somewhere else, but we really to change that. No more lobbying, no more donations. Elections should be paid for from a public fund. They should last only about 4 months, so politicians actaully WORK instead of campaigning for the next election the moment they're in office. TV networks should give equal access to all politicians (commerical time), because the airwaves are owned by the people and should be for the benefit OF the people. No more smear commercials paid for by third parties or PACs. There should be weekly debates between ALL candidates for the 4 months prior to the election.

It's ridiculous how much campaigns cost nowadays, and it's ridiculous how campaigns and elections seem to be ongoing now. For crying out loud, they are already talking about (and asking people) who will be the next presidential nominations. Are you kidding me? We JUST had an election. The next one is almost 4 years away. WTF!?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #253
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
It's with the way elections are run. I said this somewhere else, but we really to change that. No more lobbying, no more donations. Elections should be paid for from a public fund. They should last only about 4 months, so politicians actaully WORK instead of campaigning for the next election the moment they're in office. TV networks should give equal access to all politicians (commerical time), because the airwaves are owned by the people and should be for the benefit OF the people. No more smear commercials paid for by third parties or PACs. There should be weekly debates between ALL candidates for the 4 months prior to the election.

It's ridiculous how much campaigns cost nowadays, and it's ridiculous how campaigns and elections seem to be ongoing now. For crying out loud, they are already talking about (and asking people) who will be the next presidential nominations. Are you kidding me? We JUST had an election. The next one is almost 4 years away. WTF!?
Don't ask me, I'm just a troll, right?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #254
classicman

rite
Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #255
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
Don't ask me, I'm just a troll, right?
Well, sometimes you do engage in troll-like behavior. Do you not know that?