FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #241
lookout123
changed his status to single

I kill cows every chance I get.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #242
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I give the cows Beano.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #243
lookout123

It's more fun to just kill them. Then I can bathe in the blood. The jail time is much less for that than it was for bathing in the blood of virgins like my old cellmate used to...

did i go too far again? I never seem to recognize the line between sick humor and way too far.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #244
Shawnee123

But I like cows. Aside from the farting. They don't ask for money, they don't stab you in the back, they don't laugh about you. They just moo from time to time. In fact, I bet if your colleagues were bovine you wouldn't be experiencing what you are right now. Huh! Think of THAT!

--paid for by the Bovine Advocates of America (which spells BAA but we couldn't find words for the acronym MOO.) We like sheep too.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #245
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I have given up rubbing the ends of frayed electrical cords together.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #246
lookout123

S123 - all those things may be true, but you just can't trust a cow. Look at their eyes and the way they're always shifting around. They're plotting. You can't tell me that the multiple stomach thing isn't going to work against humans at some point. How would you like to be the one to find out they've lulled us into believing they're not carnivores? That would totally suck being ground slowly in those teeth, swallowed, regurgitated, swallowed again, and then slowly digested 4 times over. No thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #247
Shawnee123

Shifting around? I barely see a cow moooove.

I'm going to go befriend some cows after work. Then, when the cow revolution comes, they'll just use me as a scout and let me live.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #248
lookout123

Quote:
I barely see a cow moooove.
That's because they are so sly about it. They move like in The Matrix, so you don't even know what is happening. So remember, you're either one of us, or you're one of them.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #249
Shawnee123

Old 03-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #250
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

The EPA is not interested in sustainable developement. They're interested in conservation, which is great, except when it starts killing people, or affecting the ordinary man's ability to put food on the table for his family.

Yes carbon emissions need to be addressed, but the EPA is not the body to have the final say. It should be an independant scientific body with no [discernable] political or environmental affilitations.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #251
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
The EPA is not interested in sustainable development. They're interested in conservation, which is great, except when it starts killing people, or affecting the ordinary man's ability to put food on the table for his family.
Which would be true if the examples agreed with that assumption. This post will quote the realities.

We would pay $120 every quarter (or 5,000 miles) for a tune up. But EPA standards finally forced MBAs to use a 1960 technology in late 1970s cars - electronic ignition. Now cars cost less, don't break down (point failure), and pollute less. Now families have another $40 every month to put dinner on the table. EPA standards finally forced bean counters to let car guys liberate innovation. Therefore costs were reduced and families had more money for dinner.

We would still be breathing toxic gases, cars would still backfire, and other failures such as vapor lock would still exist if EPA regulations did not liberate a 1930 technology - fuel injection. EPA standards finally forced bean counters to let car guys liberate innovation. More cost reductions and less failures for consumers.

EPA standards ended widespread use of CFC in electronics production. EPA finally made possible better ways to manufacturer printed circuit boards. Instead of massive CFC cleaning (ozone layer destruction), electronics are now cleaned in a dishwasher with only water. Standards made possible better assembly processes that cost less, advanced mankind, cut costs, and made the factory floor human safer.

Of course, under wacko extremists, electronics still use lead in America. Those post 2000 electronic board design technologies (RoHS) are now found where innovation is encouraged by standards (Europe). Twenty years from now, Americans will drink more toxins. And then American eventually will pay royalties to the European innovators. Innovations created by superior environmental standards.

When Germany began appreciating the destruction from pollution, then German automakers developed better engine controls in the early 1980s. During that time, Americans foolishly thought EPA regulations only harmed the consumer. Every car in America (domestic and foreign) therefore contributes to German wealth. Bosch innovated due to tougher industry standards. Oxygen sensors in all cars mean wealthier Germans. An example of what happens when environmental standards are stifled by the naive while innovations create wealthier families.

Who will have higher living standards and more jobs? Those who develop products that address global warming. Again, do more work using less consumption. GE (who advocated low carbon solutions) and DuPont (who opposed low carbon solutions) now both admit that low carbon solutions have massively reduced their costs - increased profits. How does that mean less food for the family? Just the opposite. Innovations to improve the environment also create higher family incomes, a healthier public, new jobs, new markets, and higher living standards. Those who know only from pundits or a Limbaugh political agenda would not know this.

Well, cars once dumped massive amounts of hydrocarbons into the air. Do you remember sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in the 1950s? I do. I remember the resulting headaches. American automakers in the late 1960s went before Congress crying that 1975 EPA standards could not be achieved. Again bean counters trying to stifle innovation. On that same day, Chrysler was testing cars in CA that already met 1974 standards. Automakers in 1968 were lying. Only the naive believed EPA standard harmed people; did not learn about Chrysler's CAP (Clean Air Package). Chrysler's innovations also resulted in profits from all other automakers - ie the EGR valve still found today in all cars.

But again, why do I have a different conclusion? I learned facts rather than the propaganda.

So what does a catalytic converter do? Amazing how many cannot answer this obvious question - but know EPA standards only starve the family. CC burns gasoline that an engine did not. How did the Japanese start conquering the American market? To make less pollution, the Japanese burned that gas inside the engine. Higher gas mileage, less pistons, lower costs, more horsepower, longer lasting products - all directly traceable to cars that burned more of every gallon inside the engine. Meanwhile, those who claimed EPA regulations increase costs (ie Ford and GM) installed air pumps and larger catalytic converters to burn more gasoline in the exhaust pipe.

Oh, - that catalytic converter was a 1930 innovation. EPA standards finally made possible something that GM was using in their own factories in the 1930s.

One would think GM eliminates that $100 air pump, et al by doing what the Japanese were doing. After all, the Japanese were only using American technologies developed decades previously. Ironically, once the last GM engineer left (DeLorean), then GM installed a crappier carburetor which required installing a $100 air pump. Then GM could blame EPA standards for higher costs. Same game is still played today so that some 'feel' EPA standards take dinner off American tables.

Where did the 1980 Honda CVCC come from? Originally developed by Ford in early 1960s - called a stratified charge engine in Ford. Don't take my word for it. Learn from history. I even provided keywords and dates. Meanwhile, Japanese product that exceeded EPA standards also cost less - put more dinners on Japanese tables thanks to stifled American innovations.

So we must keep arsenic in the drinking water. George Jr said so even though full water industry consensus said otherwise. EPA standards for water quality are evil - would only kill people? Hardly. But again, another example of how EPA standards save - do not harm - American families.

Where do environmental standards created by science take dinner off the table? Only when one is too quick to believe extremist propaganda that also fears the Chinese, immigrants, quantum physics, evil terrorist lurker everywhere in America, evil American who must have phones routinely tapped, whistleblowers, the electric grid that is failing, evil tree huggers, Canadians who would export their wood to America, Brazilians who would innovate to create productive ethanol, foreign steel manufacturers, Haitians who spread aids, a pathetic Castro, any country that has too many Muslims (even if that country is part of NATO), ...

Anybody can post a sentence that says EPA standards take dinner off the table. But those who learn facts, well, notice how many reasons why say otherwise. Were you counting? Or did your eyes glaze over because this post contradicts myths promoted by a political agenda.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #252
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

No tw, my eyes did not glaze over until I started reading your post. Unlike you I recognize that there are good and bad points to everything.

The EPA is not interested in helping people create a sustainable earth unless it happens to benefit their cause, hence the ignition switch changes etc.

What I'm talking about are the people in the organization who have an extreme view of how the environment should be 'managed' which is not conducive to human development.

Yes the EPA serves a valuable purpose, but no, they should not have the final say with regard to the environment and how it is managed. Hence my suggestion of an independant scientific body. They are there to protect the environment which is great, however their methods of protecting the environment can lead to devastating consquences, as seen with their involvement in legislating the boundaries for the uses of various areas of the great barrier reef.

The proposals put forward by the EPA and then implimented in this case have led to bankruptcy, domestic violence and suicide to name a few of the negative impacts.

Incidentaly, who do you think benefited from the harsh legislation surrounding this issue?

Greenies world wide along with the Qld and Federal government of Australia. Do you have any idea how much money they make from tourism and how little they make from the fishing industry?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #253
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

tw - Are you saying that the EPA is responsible for American obesity problems?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #254
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

This is from LiveScience

White House Played Role in Smog Rule

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Environmental Protection Agency agreed to weaken a key section of its new smog requirements announced this week after being told at the last minute that President Bush preferred a less stringent approach, according to government documents.

The documents depict a series of tense exchanges between the EPA and the White House Office of Management and Budget during the days before the new smog air quality standard was announced Wednesday.

Changes directed by the White House were inserted into the smog regulation only hours before it was issued with the late flurry of activity forcing the EPA to delay the announcement for five hours.

The disagreement revolved around the amount of protection from ozone, or smog, should be afforded wildlife, farmlands, parks and other open spaces.

This so-called "public welfare'' or "secondary'' smog standard is separate from a decision to tighten the smog requirements for human health, which the EPA decided to do by reducing the allowable concentrations of ozone in the air from 80 parts per billion to 75 parts per billion.

[there's more at the link]

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #255
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
tw - Are you saying that the EPA is responsible for American obesity problems?
Price of gasoline has been too low causing people to abandon bicycles. Excessively cheap gas creates too many visits to junk food stores that also sell gasoline (WaWa, Gas 'n Go, etc) and too much driving while consuming Krispy Kremes. MacDonalds also participated by upgrading drive-in windows with SuperSizing.

To save Americans from early 'heart attack' deaths, Arabs have jack booted gasoline prices. God told them to.

George Jr probably asked god to arrange this. George talks to god. We now have friends working for us in high places using high prices. Don't worry; be happy. Everything is now under control. This time without using torture.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote