The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-29-2002, 11:40 AM   #241
dave

Nine Inch Nails - Still - This is the bonus CD that came with "And All That Could Have Been". It's basically some re-constructions of some songs, with some new material. It's good. Really good. You should buy it.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:01 PM   #242
matt
At last! A dead star!

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures: Fuckin' brilliant. I love this. Closer is queued up next.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:41 AM   #243
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

playing in winamp:

pete yorn - for nancy.

this song rules, no matter what anyone else says. i have no idea why i like it so much. maybe because of the layered vocals. or the acoustic sounding guitar. or...i don't know what. the lyrics, maybe. i just love it. i think it is just splendid.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 10:06 AM   #244
matt
At last! A dead star!

Simian - Chemistry Is What We Are: Think half Badly Drawn Boy, half Air. It's a good break from the daily three or four hours of Faith No More me and my roommate listen to. :p
Old 02-24-2002, 09:00 PM   #245
warch
lurkin old school

Getting greasy with the Funky Meters and a big pile of greens.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:31 AM   #246
dave

<b>Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer</b> - Best. Chorus. Ever.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:39 PM   #247
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Depeche Mode--"Goodnight Lovers" single: Not sure why they decided to put this out as a final single for the Exciter album. It wasn't released in the States, so I had to order it from Mute. The remixes on it aren't bad, but this was one of those "had to buy it to keep the collection complete" deals.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:44 PM   #248
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
...but this was one of those "had to buy it to keep the collection complete" deals.
You have a complete collection of Depeche Mode maxi-singles?!?! I envy the shit outta you. Can I come over?
Old 02-25-2002, 07:10 PM   #249
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by mmesker

You have a complete collection of Depeche Mode maxi-singles?!?! I envy the shit outta you. Can I come over?
Damnit, you had to get me started on DM, didn't you?

As far as my collection, it's not quite maxi-singles. I have every DM single on CD. (I have an ex that had a ton of the 12" singles...granted, she's 9 years older than me...heh.) Most of them are from Sire's US re-releases in 1991 and 1992. A few of them I couldn't find in the States, so I had to order them from Mute (Strangelove and Little 15 in particular). I don't have the actual single for Home, but I have the Home/Useless CD-ROM double single (with the 4 videos from the Ultra album on it). The older singles didn't have a whole lot of remix songs, but I apparently have all their b-sides except for I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead (which I believe is only on the UK version of Speak and Spell).

Incidentally, here is a list of all my CDs. You will see the plethora of DM stuff shortly down the list.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:56 PM   #250
matt
At last! A dead star!

Yikes.

And I thought I had a plethora of DM!
Old 02-25-2002, 08:21 PM   #251
elSicomoro

Nice collection! I'm surprised you own no Ministry though, particularly The Land of Rape and Honey. Although, I own only one New Order CD and very few Cure CDs...and no Massive Attack. Three additions I would recommend for your collection:

Recoil--Bloodline
Blur--13
2K--Fuck the Millenium

*looks at your website* Shit, you're in DeKalb? Lucky bastard...you're not that far from Chicago. I think that was one of the schools I considered in high school.

(Incidentally, new Ministry album in the spring. Live album comes out in 3 weeks. Also, new Moby album in May. Whooooohooooo! )
Old 02-25-2002, 11:44 PM   #252
matt
At last! A dead star!

Yes, I noticed your lack of Cure, New Order, and Massive Attack. *tsk tsk tsk*

Recommendations:

The Cure: "Seventeen Seconds", "Staring At The Sea", and "Entreat" (if you can find it).

New Order: "Low-Life", "Brotherhood", "Substance", "Technique", "Get Ready".

Massive Attack: "Blue Lines".

When I used to go to the University of Illinois, the record store down there had that Recoil CD ("Bloodline") in the used bin for the entire two years I went there. I looked at it everytime I went there, and decided against it. It's probably still there. I'll have to go visit my buddies and pick it up.

I'm not much into Blur. I have that "Best Of..." thing and I'm not impressed one bit. And I'm bitter that Damon Albarn single-handedly ruined the Gorillaz album. I'm not good at math, but:

Automator + Del Tha Funky Homosapien = Quality.

(Automator + Del) x Damon Albarn = Crap.

I know there were other people involved, but they're probably the most prominent.

I've never seen that 2K album, but The KLF rules.

I'll keep my eye out for that Ministry album. The best thing about college is the T1 in the dorms.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:26 PM   #253
elSicomoro

Quote:
Yes, I noticed your lack of Cure, New Order, and Massive Attack. *tsk tsk tsk*
I know. Rho and I were just talking about Get Ready last night...and why we don't own it.

Quote:
When I used to go to the University of Illinois, the record store down there had that Recoil CD ("Bloodline") in the used bin for the entire two years I went there. I looked at it everytime I went there, and decided against it. It's probably still there. I'll have to go visit my buddies and pick it up.
It's good stuff...Moby, Doug McCarthy, and Toni Halliday (of Curve) sing on it.

Quote:
I've never seen that 2K album, but The KLF rules.
I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but 2K is essentially the KLF with a tweaked up remake of "What Time is Love?" Good stuff. Mute still sells it. They used to sell T-shirts and bumper stickers that had "FUCK THE MILLENIUM" on them. At the time it was released (1997), it was rather amusing.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:51 PM   #254
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Rho and I were just talking about Get Ready last night...and why we don't own it.
So why don't you? Chop out "Rock The Shack" and it's a great album from start to finish. I dunno about "60 MPH" as a single though. I'd be more inclined to pick "Slow Jam" or something...

*shrugs*
Old 02-26-2002, 10:09 PM   #255
elSicomoro

Quote:

So why don't you?
1--Priorities: I'll grab a new DM CD in a heartbeat. They're about the only band where I'll buy a new CD of theirs automatically.

2--Bills: I used to buy 40-50 CDs a year. Since moving out on my own 2 1/2 years ago, I've probably bought 20. :p