The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #241
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh! those chips look bloody perfect! I could just eat some proper chunky chips!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #242
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The chips are fine, but shredded onion and shredded cheese between slices of white bread?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #243
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No UT. It's chopped onion and grated cheese.
Glad to have cleared that up.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #244
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Mmmmm, I'd love a cheese n onion sammich...but I suffer badly from onion breath for hours....so does everyone I guess....suffer from my onion breath
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #245
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
BTW, that postcard arrived for the boys. They're going to get one and send it to you over the weekend.
Only just saw this - yay! Funnily enough, I put another one in the post yesterday morning, on the way to the woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Mmmmm, I'd love a cheese n onion sammich...but I suffer badly from onion breath for hours....so does everyone I guess....suffer from my onion breath
Ummmmm, me too.
But the salad garnish had onion in too, so I figured I could strip the paint from the car and pretend it wasn't me. Also the other options weren't very inspired. I figured at least having onion in it allowed me to pretend it was healthy.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #246
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The chips are fine, but shredded onion and shredded cheese between slices of white bread?
English sandwiches are an abomination to most Americans, especially those who live in Sandwichland (Philly, NY, NJ).
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #247
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I had a sandwich in the UK once that was diced lamb in some sort of Russian dressing kind of sauce. Similar to egg salad. It was really good.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #248
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
English sandwiches are an abomination to most Americans, especially those who live in Sandwichland (Philly, NY, NJ).
But I luuurve cucumber and watercress tea sandwiches! I replace the mayo with cream cheese...
Old 06-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #249
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
We invented them goddamnit!
You and your obamanations can go to hell.

Oh yeah, and nom nom nom
Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #250
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah, yeah you invented football too... no world cup since 1966!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #251
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

When I was in Scotland I found the pub sandwiches to be pretty dry. Perhaps to get you to drink more beer?

The other big difference was that both the meat and cheese were shredded rather than sliced. Dunno what that's about.

I requested and received mayo on my sandwich, but they must have been concerned about my cholesterol. It was thinly spread.

The atmosphere was a lot more pleasant than your average McDonalds, though.

Like the language, sandwiches have morphed since coming to America.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #252
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yeah, yeah you invented football too... no world cup since 1966!
Tcha. Two world wars and one world cup. That'll do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
When I was in Scotland I found the pub sandwiches to be pretty dry. Perhaps to get you to drink more beer?
I can't say - another time another place. Personally I found the food lovely but the Scots unsuited to any service industry. I'd never dare say though (did I say that out loud?!) Meh - I was there in the summer holidays and all the staff I encountered were approx 15...
Quote:
Like the language, sandwiches have morphed since coming to America.
I accept that. And the sandwiches may have improved...

All baiting aside, we (the Brits, not just the English) obviously have very different sandwich ideals. When I get my own place you are only welcome for traditional English fare. Then you can't compare it. But I will take you out. Then you can goggle at how old the building is, in true American fashion, while I slip you warm beer and stale pastry.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #253
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

we have an excellent shop here run by two ex-Brits and the cheese and oinion sandwiches are YUMMY.

they serve a proper high tea which is fun but $$$, coffee, tea, wonderful scones that put starbucks to shame. Lovely place but the seats...itty bitty and a tad dainty.

Called Central Perc, in Oakwood. Lovely.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #254
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Here:

Central Perc European Café is reminiscent of the English proprietors' home country: like a good pub, service is 'come to the counter', with food then delivered to table; no pence are squandered on posh garnishes, and you're likely to be drawn into the neighborly banter between the regulars and their British hosts.

English accents can be found in the food, as well. In example, an unusual sandwich was served for Afternoon Tea. Frankly, I couldn't figure out what the devil it was, and so I asked Mike Morgan, Central Perc's owner. He eagerly explained his passion for the pungent ingredient, which was dark English pickles, like those Bridget Jones reaches for during a feeding frenzy. The Branston pickles are chopped, mixed with sharp cheese and onion, and smeared on brown bread. Hmm. Delicious, indeed.

True to British tradition, Central Perc serves piping-hot tea in beautiful English teapots. In lieu of china teacups, visitors sip their tea from generously sized, heavy ironstone mugs. Mike Morgan enjoys blending loose teas for his clientele. His signature Central Perc Blend is a high quality, smooth black tea with a touch of Earl Grey for depth, and it is offered for sale by the half-pound. Bencheley and Forrelli teas are also available in several no-fuss varieties, such as English Breakfast, Earl Grey and Mint. In addition to tea, the café serves gourmet coffee, soup, salads, sandwiches and fresh pastries.

Mike and his wife, Rose, hail from the Wirral peninsula in northwest England, an area that produced the first public park in 1847, which served as the model for New York's Central Park. The couple met when Mike drove the bus that Rose took daily to work. They married and made several visits to the States, and, in 1996, opened the café.

Bringing a bit of England to the Midwest has been warmly embraced; visitors love Central Perc's popular Afternoon Teas, served from 2 to 4 p.m. and priced at $10 per person. Afternoon Tea includes generous servings of three types of tea sandwiches, Rose's fabulous homemade pastries, and baked-from-scratch scones, slathered in thick butter, strawberry preserves and whipped cream. The tea menu changes seasonally or according to Rose's whims. Mike is meticulous about steeping tea for five minutes, and instructs new customers about how to approach the imposing three-tiered stand of Afternoon tea goodies, saying, "Begin at the bottom, and work your way to the top." A pot of just-boiled water is also brought to the table, to dilute the stronger tea at the bottom of the pot, or to warm up a cuppa that's been neglected during thoughtful conversation or a suspenseful novel.

The café is located on a shady, well-manicured boulevard, among upscale shops, fringed by the gracious, historical homes of Oakwood, a suburb of Dayton, Ohio. Shelves of English china perch high on the neutral colored faux painted walls, sparkling in the gentle sunshine that floods in from the shop's full-glass front.

Central Perc European Café delivers a charming English-style tea experience.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #255
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
they serve a proper high tea which is fun but $$$, coffee, tea, wonderful scones that put starbucks to shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Bringing a bit of England to the Midwest has been warmly embraced; visitors love Central Perc's popular Afternoon Teas, served from 2 to 4 p.m. and priced at $10 per person.
The shock of prices here would kill you - that's a bargain almost worth the airfare!