The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #241
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'll have to do it again in February.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #242
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Okay, this isn't technically a commute, but it is the same trip I take every time I go to and from my parents' house.

Nothing particularly exiting happens, it's just a new perspective for you. Most of the Tube journeys I take are underground. It's only once you get out onto the further reaches of the map that you travel through houses and then countryside. It's certainly not the Tube that most tourists see. Reviewing it I see the sheer bounciness of the journey doesn't come across. Shame - it's a wonderful rackety ride at some points.

Two clips - one close to Amersham and quite green, the other cloer to London and more urban.

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #243
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yey! That was great

I love that on train journeys: watching for the break in the trees. You go hurtling along through this green tunnel of foliage and every so often it opens up and you get a fleeting glimpse of countryside rolling out to the horizon. I like the reminder that much of england is still substantively green:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #244
glatt

I took some commute pictures today, because it was all pretty with the snow. I'm going to post them next to the same locations I took pictures of in the late Spring a couple years ago. Just for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I like seeing everyone's commutes, so I thought I'd join in as well. These are all on my Flickr page, so you can see larger versions there if you like. My commute will look a little different, because I walk. It's about 1.5 miles of total walking each way.

We start off at my house, where I just took out the recycling:

Quote:
Then I go down the street. There's a mixture of small older houses, and silly enormous McMansions. See the tall building in the distance? I'm walking about three blocks past that to enter the MetroRail system:

Quote:
I cut through the playground of this elementary school, but it's OK since no kids are here this early:

Boots are very helpful here.

Quote:
This street of older houses hasn't seen any new McMansions pop up because the houses are all duplexes. To tear one down, you would have to buy out two families, and I guess the developers think it's too much effort:

Quote:
I walk along this bike path for a short distance. You can see I'm starting to get into a built up area around the metro station:

I'm loving the boots.

Quote:
It looks like I'm in the city here, but I'm still in the suburbs, just a few blocks from my house. The metro station is three blocks ahead:

You can see the bollards they finally installed to keep cars from driving on the sidewalk. I was tilting at windmills to get them to install those, and they finally did. Don't know if I had anything to do with it.

Quote:
Here's the elevator down into the ground to catch a train:

Quote:
This is my Metrorail station. I just missed a train, so the platform is pretty empty. It will be packed like sardines in just a minute or two. The glowing sign on the left says the next train will be here in 4 minutes:

The train! You can see it's become more crowded on the platform:

I know where to stand on the train so I'm one of the first off and through the gates. This is coming up out of the ground in downtown Washington D.C. There's a huge mob of people right on my tail, so I take a quick picture and head up the escalator:

Have any of you seen one of these R2-D2 mailboxes for the Star Wars 30 year anniversary?
I didn't take any pictures in the Metro this time because it was a clusterfuck down there with the bad weather, and I didn't want to call attention to myself. And the R2D2 mailbox sticker is gone.

More in the next post.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #245
glatt

Quote:
I cut through Franklin Square Park:

Quote:
Go past this old stone church and a new construction site. There's construction everywhere in this city.

Quote:
And here's my building! I actually went across the street to take this shot. I don't normally arrive from this direction. I normally come in a back way and sneak through the loading dock:
Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #246
jinx
Come on, cat.

Heh, that's cool glatt.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #247
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It really is a beautiful snowfall. Last night, it was snowing everywhere except under the trees, and this morning it was snowing only under the trees. A picture perfect winter wonderland. And the snow is so light that "shoveling" is more like mopping. Slide the shovel along the ground, and the snow offers little resistance.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #248
glatt

Looking back at these pictures, one of the most interesting things is the way the wires jump out when there is snow on them. These two shots are from slightly different angles, so that explains some of it, but in the Summer shot, you don't see the wires at all. In the Winter shot, it's almost all you see.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #249
jinx
Come on, cat.

Yeah the wires caught my eye. Almost looks unsafe they're so cluttered.
They've been talking about burying ours (just in the historic district) since we moved in here, I hope they get to it eventually...
Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #250
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Did they actually move that one playscape at the school? The one on the right, sticking halfway into the frame? It looks like it's 50 feet farther away from the building now. I mean, they couldn't have, and the other piece between the playscape and the building is still there... but the depth of field is so different.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #251
glatt

I think in the old summer picture, I was farther away, and zoomed in, which compresses everything. And in the newer winter one, I was fairly close and zoomed out.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #252
glatt

My commute this morning. I had to show a business card to a soldier to get to my building.

This is the view out the back, the checkpoint here is the second checkpoint, so there's nobody around on the sidewalks.

After you get past this second checkpoint, you come to the fences. The huge building in the background is the convention center, and it's like a ghost town over there right now. Should get busy soon though.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #253
glatt

The view out the front. I bet motorcades will be coming through here.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #254
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thanks x 2 Glatt.
For the update (always interesting) and for the chance to review my previous vid. Yes, I think I will go blue (hair colour) again. I likey!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #255
The CIA
ever vigilant

Glatt,

We will be by in a few moments to confiscate the computer you're using and your digital camera. No heroics, please. Come down to the lobby and take us to your terminal, and we'll keep this on the QT.