The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #241
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Well, I'm not the best at expressing my thoughts. I still stand behind Merc because he was good to me and I don't forget a kindness. Also, I have great respect for his military career and now his civilian.

Ibby, I came down hard on you and I want you to know I apologize. Your comment about me wrapping myself in the flag made me realize that we are both very passionate about our core beliefs. I need to be more tolerant of others who aren't as "patriotic". Thanks for opening my eyes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #242
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Ibby, I came down hard on you and I want you to know I apologize. Your comment about me wrapping myself in the flag made me realize that we are both very passionate about our core beliefs. I need to be more tolerant of others who aren't as "patriotic". Thanks for opening my eyes
Thanks, Sarge. You're actually one of the dwellars I'm most okay about disagreeing with, because I don't doubt that you and I have similar theoretical (if not political) aims for our nation as a place of justice and equity, even if we disagree on most of how to do that and what it should look like. With an Air Force father it's not hard for me to be sympathetic to most of our current and former servicemembers. Even though we diverge deeply in how we approach that ideal, I think it's one that has common ground to find, even though I am deeply critical of most visions of patriotism.
Clearly the cellar is not a safe and receptive place for me to voice my progressive and anti-oppressive views, and so i might not be around much for a while, but if you or any other dwellars want to discuss, earnestly and un-antagonistically or defensively, how I think generations of oppressive narratives and positions have hurt our nation, how I can't feel comfortable identifying as someone who is "patriotic" in supporting the country I want to serve as a career (as someone who plans to serve in the state dep't as an FSO), why I believe the "I'll say what I want, I know better than oppressed people how to fix oppression, your political-correctness-run-amok-worldview-makes-things-worse" culture only perpetuates problems...
If you or any other dwellar really wants to know why I find that argument hurtful to all marginalized Americans, and wants to understand why I am very passionate about my slightly-revolutionary, controversial "core beliefs" about privilege and oppression, please PM me for a contact link.
At any rate, sarge, I deeply respect that you can come forward and say your eyes've been opened and shit. I hope we can engage more in the future on this respectful level about how identities and oppressions matter.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #243
Big Sarge

I found out if we just listen, we can all learn something from each other. I know it's a corny old saying
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #244
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
TheMercenary might come back if a certain someone nominates him to be a moderator.
That made me laugh out loud. for real. I'm a shit stirrer though.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #245
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Ibs, I think it's just that in general, your sexuality is the only thing we seem to hear about from you lately, and most of us understand that you're in total immersion, and are quite happy for you to do your thing, but speaking for myself, I feel like you're preaching to me, and to be honest, I have and have had my own issues with oppression and you may find that other, older members here have too. Maybe that's the point. Those older posters among us have tried to give you the benefit of their experiences but you can't understand yet that there is benefit to their words. Maybe because the wounds caused by your current journey are still too raw, you fail to have any empathy for the scars of others?...

Just a thought. I could be wrong, but I have tried hard to word this in such a way as to not cause offence. I hope none has been taken.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #246
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Nicely put, Ali.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #247
Aliantha

Thanks Dana, I thought about it for half a day before finally posting.

That just goes to show how much I've changed.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #248
Griff
still says videotape

Well put, Ali.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #249
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

quote Ali: Maybe because the wounds caused by your current journey are still too raw, you fail to have any empathy for the scars of others?...

very nicely put, Ali. And true, so true.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #250
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Thanks Dana, I thought about it for half a day before finally posting.

That just goes to show how much I've changed.
What? Foul, red card! Don't you know thinking before posting is, is, well, just not done.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #251
Big Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What? Foul, red card! Don't you know thinking before posting is, is, well, just not done.
I sure wish I did more thinking before posting. I can really screw up
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #252
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

You put things very well, Ali. I saw your post last night and would've liked to add a little, but I'm not feeling up to it right now. I think I'll leave your thoughtful comments unsullied by any additions of mine ... thank you for taking the time and energy.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #253
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
haha...well it's just this new thing I'm trying. Seems to be working so far. I haven't had a shit fight for ages. lol

Quote:
Believe me Sarge, we all have, especially me. I have been known to rush in where angels fear to tread on many occasions. Not a great idea usually. That's why the angels stay away.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #254
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Not necessarily, if you shoot from the hip and write what you're thinking/feeling at the time, it's more likely to be your true self.
If you read it the next day and think that's not what I was trying to say, OK.
But if you read it the next day and say, damn, where did that come from, then you might want to reexamine how you really feel about stuff.
Some people are surprised to find out they aren't who they think they are.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #255
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah. Surprised the fuck out of me to discover I am in fact a 57 year old Jamaican man.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote