The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #226
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Maybe they mistook the garden gnome for a Hezbollah militant?
So that would be a "no" then. You have accused the Israelis of intending to use cluster bombs as mines. But you have no evidence that these casualties were caused by delay-fused weapon, which is what it would take to prove that intent. That there are unexploded munitions on the battlefield is not surprising; a fair number of Hezbollah rockets were duds too.

The difference is: indiscriminate intent is demonstrated by using those rockets at all; there is no other way to use them.

I see tw is back to lecturing on what "the facts" are...I didn't think he could hold off for long. (He's also admitted he's actually sermonizing to the lurkers. :-) )

And like every thread tw posts in, it's eventually All About Bush. I'm going for the "too blinded by hate to recognize his own reference" theory. I know It's just so tough to be this far into hurricane season with no storm to blame on him, and--gosh darn it--that Armitage thing was such a disappointment too, but cheer up: maybe something else awful will happen.

Last edited by MaggieL; 09-04-2006 at 05:22 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #227
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos
MaggieL is going out of her way and twisting in the most impossible turns to prove that cluster bombs are justified because they have a precision of 3 football fields instead of one village.
So we're up to *three* football fields now? It was two last time. Will it be four on the next round? Since you're so jiggy with the effective radius, what's the CEP on one of these delivered from an F-16?

And for comparison, a typical Hezbollah rocket?

(Hint, the first is measured in meters, the second in kilometers)

Quote:
From Iraq experience we and Israel knew that at least 50% of the bomblets will not explode on impact but in a later stage when picked up or stumbled upon.
The actual number is more like 5%. Where are you getting your numbers?
Quote:
And why do you think US State Department will investigate the use of their cluster bombs?
Because there have been complaints thet they've been misused....not exactly surprising.

And who will investigate what Hezbollah has been doing? Oh...that's right...

Old 09-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #228
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

mmmm.... as I understand the situation, Hezbollah rockets are fired at a pretty much random pattern into Northern Israel. They land, explode and unfortunatly have killed some tens of Israeli citizens.

The IDF, perhaps rightly so, think this is not a good thing, and bombard Lebannon with mucho macho munitions. Of which a good proportion are designed not to explode on impact but to go *bang* (ha-ha - got you - now go break a leg (if you still have a leg)) when overt hostilities are over.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #229
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not true Jay, they're not designed to not to explode on impact, they are all supposed to go off. It's a problem they would like to address, because usually the first people in the area after we drop them, are our troops.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #230
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
An internal fuse tells each submunition when to detonate--either "above ground, at impact, or in a delayed mode." (35)
So really, there is no way to prove intent without knowing if the fuses were set to delayed mode or impact.

One measure would be comparing total expended with total unexploded found.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 AM   #231
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
IOW, you're not in EOD. You've lost this one; now have the grace to shut the fuck up and sit down. However tough you think you are, I'm probably tougher, likely wiser, probably older and more experienced, and I spell like someone who's paying attention. I'm simply saying I'm not putting up with nonsense from you. There's no shame in that for either of us.
Ah...more tough talk from our keyboard warrior. What has the EOD got to do with this all? What I said was that it's easy to be tough from an EZ chair in an airconditioned room and that you would talk differently having clusterbombs in your back garden.

My spelling may have room for improvement, but that's because English is not my first language. But we could continue this discussion in Dutch, French or German if you like, maybe your spelling in these languages is also better than mine, n'est-ce-pas?

As for your experience, I have no doubt that you have more experience selling patatoe cutters than me.

Last edited by Hippikos; 09-05-2006 at 03:19 AM.
Hippikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:52 AM   #232
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
So we're up to *three* football fields now? It was two last time. Will it be four on the next round? Since you're so jiggy with the effective radius, what's the CEP on one of these delivered from an F-16?
This is what I wrote: “…can be as large as two or three football fields” try to keep up with reality for once, MaggieL.
Cluster bombs are delivered either by aircraft, rocket or by artillerie. Since we are talking numbers, less than 50 Israelian civillians died, over a 1000 Lebanese civillians died. Does that mean Israel did a better job with a more effective radius?
Quote:
The actual number is more like 5%. Where are you getting your numbers?
Here:
“We're finding strikes that are in people's houses, in the middle of the street, around hospitals," said Chris Clark, program manager of the UN Mine Action Co-ordination Center in southern Lebanon. Approximately 250,000 Lebanese of the one million displaced cannot move back into their homes, many because of unexploded munitions.

An unusual number of cluster bombs used in the war did not detonate on impact, possibly because they were old, Mr Egeland said. Usually 10-15 per cent of the bomblets fail to explode immediately. According to some estimates, up to 70 per cent of the Israeli bomblets failed to explode initially. Civilians returning to their homes in southern Lebanon are experiencing "massive problems," as a result of these unexploded munitions, Mr Egeland said.” (Times Online)

Usually between 20 and 30% are duds, but it seem Israel has used old cluster bombs resulting in a higher number of unexploded bomblets. UN says it was 70%, I kept it a little more conservative.
Cluster bombs disperse widely and are difficult to target precisely, they are especially dangerous when used near civilian areas. In addition, they are prone to failure: if the container opens at the wrong height, or the bomblets don't fuse properly, or their descent is broken by trees, or they land on soft ground - they may not detonate. This risk is known to the military who ordered to use it.
Quote:
And who will investigate what Hezbollah has been doing? Oh...that's right...
You see, MaggieL, contrary what you do with Israel, I never whitewashed what Hezbollah did. I accuse both sides of atrocities against civillians, albeit Israel on a MUCH larger scale.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:20 AM   #233
Ibby
erika

Quote:
You see, MaggieL, contrary what you do with Israel, I never whitewashed what Hezbollah did. I accuse both sides of atrocities against civillians, albeit Israel on a MUCH larger scale.
The thing is, Israel never MEANT to... Hezbollah did.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #234
MaggieL

Quote:
Since we are talking numbers, less than 50 Israelian civillians died, over a 1000 Lebanese civillians died. Does that mean Israel did a better job with a more effective radius?
No, it means that Israel keeps its civilians away from combat as much as possble, whereas Hezbollah considers siting their weapons and personel among Lebanese civilians and adjacent to UN position to be a political propiganda advantage. So people like you will blame the Israelis for the result.

There's only two reasons you haven't seen huge Hezbollah antipersonel weapons detonating in downtown Tel Aviv: they don't have them and can't deliver them there. They brag about the larger Russian and Chineese-designed missles thev've managed to drop randomly on civilians in Haifa...much of the remainder of which missles have now been destroyed on the ground by the same Israeli airstrikes you condem. (Replacements are on the way, of course.)

They're clearly not constrained by any moral or legal considerations; it's all a matter of capabilities; we know what their intentions are. So one can hardly wait for the Iranians to have nukes.

You can bandy scary words about how much area a cluster bomb can cover, but in fact that can be controlled. How much area actually was covered by each of the weapons you're complaining about?

You don't know. You don't know how many were dropped, or what kind, or where (except in the vaguest terms). You certainly don't know why.--what military target they were being amed at when they were released; you can be certain that any evidence of that will be removed before the press and UN are brought in. All you do know is it makes a just dandy excuse to pillory the Israelis.

I don't need to whitewash the Israelis...all the credible evidence I've seen so far suggests they have been doing no more than defending themselves from attack.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #235
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
No, it means that Israel keeps its civilians away from combat as much as possble, whereas Hezbollah considers siting their weapons and personel among Lebanese civilians and adjacent to UN position to be a political propiganda advantage. So people like you will blame the Israelis for the result.
Israel already killed 52 Lebanon civillians the first day (including 15 children) before any rockets has been launched by Hizbollah, more than Israelian civillians the whole 33 day war.
Quote:
There's only two reasons you haven't seen huge Hezbollah antipersonel weapons detonating in downtown Tel Aviv: they don't have them and can't deliver them there. They brag about the larger Russian and Chineese-designed missles thev've managed to drop randomly on civilians in Haifa...much of the remainder of which missles have now been destroyed on the ground by the same Israeli airstrikes you condem. (Replacements are on the way, of course.)
Hizbollah has Iranian missiles that can hit Tel-Aviv. Most likely Tehran has forbid Hizbollah to use them, for now.
Quote:
They're clearly not constrained by any moral or legal considerations; it's all a matter of capabilities; we know what their intentions are.
Neither has Israel, as been shown in the Gaza strip, the West Bank and Lebanon the last 50 years.
Quote:
So one can hardly wait for the Iranians to have nukes.
And then? Israel has them for decades, without signing any proliferation treaty. Pakistan has them, one can hardly wait for Musharraf being replaced.
Quote:
You don't know. You don't know how many were dropped, or what kind, or where (except in the vaguest terms). You certainly don't know why.--what military target they were being amed at when they were released; you can be certain that any evidence of that will be removed before the press and UN are brought in. All you do know is it makes a just dandy excuse to pillory the Israelis.
Three types of artillery-delivered cluster bombs were used by Israel in Lebanon -- two U.S.-made (M42 and M77) and one Israeli (M85)

So far, the United Nations has found 400 strike sites where cluster bombs were used -- "a lot of them U.S.-manufactured"

U.N. demining teams, who have destroyed 2,900 sub-munitions so far, predict it would take 12 to 15 months to clean up the cluster bombs. (Source: Reuters)
Quote:
I don't need to whitewash the Israelis...
You are doing your very best the last 16 pages of this thread...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #236
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Marjayoun
Old 09-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #237
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Marjayoun
I think we can safely place Fisk in that category too. There's other less biased coverage of the "untold story" online; I recommend Google.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #238
MaggieL

Quote:
Three types of artillery-delivered cluster bombs were used by Israel in Lebanon -- two U.S.-made (M42 and M77) and one Israeli (M85)
And how many of those were delay fused? Artillery shells aren't your "three football field" aerial bombs. A little bit of retroactive Googling such as you've obviously done isn't going to be sufficient here.

Also some support for your claim that Hezbollah has large missiles that can strike Tel Aviv would be nice. Of course Iran has them, but you're claiming they've been delivered in Lebanon, and survived?

Or are they (and their crews) simply waiting to cross the Syrian border disguised as humanitarian relief?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #239
Griff
still says videotape

His bias is an open mind. Sometimes it gets him in trouble because he prints stories as they develop but, he is better than most and actually understands the interplay of factions.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #240
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
His bias is an open mind.
Oh, please. Look at the history of his publications and tell me again how open his mind is. This is the fellow who along with George Galloway is praised by Adam Gadahn in Al-Queda's latest video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead Ini
He has said that journalistic neutrality is "no longer relevant" to the Middle East and that instead journalists are "morally bound ... to show eloquent compassion to the victims." And Fisk’s reporting makes all too clear whom he anoints as the "victims" in the Israeli-Arab conflict.
http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_context=6&x_article=1062