The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #226
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Seems to be working then doesn't it?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #227
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Seems to be working then doesn't it?
An indication that they are all too fat and rich? They have been dying.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #228
classicman

Who are they?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #229
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
That is the most outrageous example of fake news I've ever seen.

I didn't know the Russian Northern Fleets was a Fox News affiliate.
Well, Rich, it's not like you're ever going to know the news then, is it? Guess you'll be among the last of the unenlightened, all because you prefer leftist stupidity to conservative wisdom... what a rotten kind of life.

In other fumbling, since when is Russia's Northern Fleet plural? Somebody hadn't the proper depth of knowledge. Fleets, quotha.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #230
classicman

thats a pretty shitty post, if I do say so myself.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #231
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

I was surprised when I went to my employer's internal website, to donate by payroll deduction.
2004 Indian Ocean tsunami = $1 million, plus 100% matching of all employee donations.
Haiti = $50k, plus no matching.
Noticed tonight, their donation has been upped to a million, they're also matching donations.
Guess they realized how bad it is.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #232
classicman

that is interesting bruce, I thought it was pretty clear how bad it was from the onset. Maybe some people noticed it like you did and said something to management.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #233
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Noticed tonight, their donation has been upped to a million, they're also matching donations.
Guess they realized how bad that looked.
I'll say.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #234
W.HI.P
Free

go here
http://samrainer.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/haiti.jpg
then hold down f11
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #235
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I think ESPN made the right choice in firing Paul Shirley. ESPN hired him to be a commenter and he made bad/stupid comments. He'll probably get a spotlight on Fox or Rush Limbaugh's talk show, they like this sorta thing.

If You Rebuild It, They Will Come. By Paul Shirley

One line of his that really seems "WTF is wrong with you?!"
Quote:
Shouldn’t much of the responsibility for the disaster lie with the victims of that disaster?
So....all victims of a disaster are responsible for the disaster? Yep, those rape victims shouldn't have dressed so slutty either!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #236
classicman

He's a basketball player, or was. Smart ones are few and far between.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #237
tw

Quote:
However, it is not outside the realm of imagination to think that the citizens of a country might be able to: A) avoid putting themselves into a situation that might result in such catastrophic loss of life. And B) provide for their own aid, in the event of such a catastrophe.
His assumption would be valid IF we do the same to New Orleans and NYC (disasters due to hurricanes) and to the Memphis area (prone to devastation of equivalent proportions also due to little planning for earthquakes.

Quote:
In the case of mistakes and warnings as applied to Haiti, I don’t mean to indict those who ignored actual warnings against earthquakes, of which there were many before the recent one.
What warnings? No serious earthquake for 200 years. The only warnings were years previous and too late to do anything. Reality: most warnings were more about an earthquake on the Dominican Republic north shore - not in Haiti.

Meanwhile Haiti was busy still recovering from multiple devastating hurricanes. How were Haitians to be planning for an earthquake that few even suspected?

NYC had an earthquake five on the Richter scale in the 1700s. Is NYC today constructed to withstand a 5+ quake? Since he knows what Haiti should have prepared for, then does he know what NYC should be prepared for?

The problem with his conclusions: facts and assumptions on which it is based are flawed. One is expected to learn facts before throwing stones.

Since New Orleans was built in the wrong location, America should have done nothing to help its citizens? That is his reasoning.

It is the logic - not the morality - of his conclusions that are wrong. They deserve no help because they should have known this was coming? Who knew it? Martians? Certainly not Americans, Europeans, or Haitians.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #238
classicman

Well tw, lets take your logic a step further - now that we "know" should we rebuild New Orleans or relocate?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #239
SamIam

Well, with global warming and rising oceans and more extreme weather to come, I think the entire Gulf Coast should be relocated to Kentucky.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #240
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Well tw, lets take your logic a step further - now that we "know" should we rebuild New Orleans or relocate?
It makes no sense to rebuild a Ninth ward ten feet below sea level. Many parts of New Orleans were dry because not located below sea level.

Clinton solved many problems by addressing the problem rather then playing political games. For example, Clinton rebuilt cities such as Grafton IL where floods no longer cause damage. Spring 2002 floods no longer caused destructive flooding. FEMA did not build bigger levees. It addressed the problem using product oriented thinking because top management was a good and responsible.

So George Jr goes to Sen Trent Lott's oceanside home (where it once stood) and declares government will rebuild his home in the worst spot possible. Because a rich Senator needs his home rebuilt where it should not be.

Paul Shirley's mistake is to conveniently forget and modify facts to promote his conclusions. At least Memphis knows they have a pending disaster. And have plenty of time to start averting it. According to Paul Shirley's reasoning, when the big one happens, the rest of America should do nothing to save Memphis.

Meanwhile, an intelligent president would not have government rebuild Trent Lott's home. Unlike Haitians, Lott can afford to do it himself. Lott even knew the inevitable was coming. Haitians did not. Therefore Haitians should have no help - according to Paul Shirley. But extremists would rebuild Lott's luxery shore home.