Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #211
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Redux - I'm not sure of the "talking points. It was not politicians on the interview. They were talking about it and I asked for that reason. IF - If the administration is going to force the states into doing that, then that is wrong - if not then they are.

Legally, the federal "government" may hand out mandates to the states, provided those mandates come already funded.
TGRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #212
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
The limits on the amount of unemployment insurance and the length of time a person can collect are established by state law, not federal. In order for these federal funds to reach those in need, a state may have to change its law.
PA has the length of benefits limit set by state law. Numerous times, when unemployment reached a set threshold, weeks were added as a "Federal Extension of benefits", I presume with Federal money. When the rate falls below the threshold the extra weeks stop, I don't think any changes of the law or action by the state legislature is needed.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #213
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
Legally, the federal "government" may hand out mandates to the states, provided those mandates come already funded.
This was the crux of the discussion. IIRC, It was initially funded by the stimulus package , but it wasn't clear who was funding what in the future.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #214
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
PA has the length of benefits limit set by state law. Numerous times, when unemployment reached a set threshold, weeks were added as a "Federal Extension of benefits", I presume with Federal money. When the rate falls below the threshold the extra weeks stop, I don't think any changes of the law or action by the state legislature is needed.
You're right and I think that is at the heart of the "talking points"

Sarah Palin:
Quote:
Host Greta Van Susteren asked Palin if she thought that Obama should veto it, “I would call for a veto, absolutely, and let’s do this right, understanding that there is going to be some kind of stimulus package. There is going to be some kind of attempts for economic recovery. I say construction projects that put people to work, that fits the bill, but these big huge expanded social programs where we are adding people to the rolls, and then the economic stimulus package dollars from the feds are going to dry up at some point. States then are going to be beholden to these programs. We will have to pay for them. That’s not right, that’s not fair. We just want to make sure that whatever is it is that is passed makes sense for the states, for the residents of our individual states.”

http://politicususa.com/en/Palin-Stimulus-Bill
Ignorance or intentional misinformation?

WIth most governors, I would write it off as simply a political response that plays loosely with the facts.

With Palin, it might be ignorance.

It sounds like she is opposed to a temporary expansion of unemployment benefits to residents of Alaska who may have reached the limit by making a case that she would be "stuck with paying for them" in the future.

But she'll take the money for Alaska in the bill.

Last edited by Redux; 02-21-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #215
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
yea but are you as bad as me.
I don't think so Merc. I admit when dems are corrupt and stupid and wrong. You rarely criticize republicans.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #216
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
You're right and I think that is at the heart of the "talking points"

Sarah Palin:

Ignorance or intentional misinformation?

WIth most governors, I would write it off as simply a political response that plays loosely with the facts.

With Palin, it might be ignorance.

It sounds like she is opposed to a temporary expansion of unemployment benefits to residents of Alaska who may have reached the limit by making a case that she would be "stuck with paying for them" in the future.

But she'll take the money for Alaska in the bill.
pffft. Sarah Palin. Have you heard she owes a whole bunch of back taxes?
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #217
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
pffft. Sarah Palin. Have you heard she owes a whole bunch of back taxes?
Yea, that is the rumor, however there is no rumor to the fact that a number of Obama appointees and choices for high level cabinet positions owe.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #218
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And yet several Republican governors are still putting out talking points misrepresenting the expansion of unemployment insurance in the stimulus bills.
Quote:
Mississippi Republican Governor Haley Barbour may follow suit in rejecting part of President Obama's economic stimulus package that would expand unemployment insurance. In a recent interview with Fox News, Barbour said that he does not agree with changing state rules to allow people that are able to work full time, the opportunity to receive unemployment compensation if they choose not to.

http://www.fox40now.com/news/local/40030927.html
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #219
TheMercenary

Yea, and then a black Demoncratic Congressman stated on national news that it was a decision driven by racism.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #220
Redux

Quote:
Yea, and then a black Demoncratic Congressman stated on national news that it was a decision driven by racism.
Clyburn's comments were ignorant and counter-productive.

But the fact remains that citizens in some states who are facing economic hardship may not be assisted through the stimulus bill as a result of political misrepresentations of the bill by several Republican governors rather than anything factual.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #221
TheMercenary

Quote:
Clyburn's comments were ignorant and counter-productive.
No doubt. But he made them and his comments reflect the attitude of many, that he is a victim and victimhood is good, because it makes excuses for so many failings.

Quote:
But the fact remains that citizens in some states who are facing economic hardship may not be assisted through the stimulus bill as a result of political misrepresentations of the bill by several Republican governors rather than anything factual.
Actually those misrepresentations have been made by the Demoncrats. Pelosi and Reid have making promises they cannot keep and know will provide less than what everyone who said this was the answer to our nations ills then they can deliver. It is water under the bridge at this point. Now it is time to see if they can deliver. The people are watching. It will be a death knell IMHO if they screw it up.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #222
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Demoncratic
You really aren't thinking that adds to your credibility, are you?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #223
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's the joke that's still just as funny as it was on day one!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #224
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It's the joke that's still just as funny as it was on day one!

Yeah, it's right up there with "Lieberals", "Clintoon", "Shrub", and "Obamanation".

Plays on words (from either "side") are friggin' TIRED the moment they are thought of. By the time they're actually POSTED, they're insufferably boring.

However, the type of person who uses them usually does so out of an OCD-esque NEED to, as if God might punish them if they forget to hate the target of their screeds in even so small a fashion.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #225
Redux

Quote:

Actually those misrepresentations have been made by the Demoncrats...
Nope...in fact, the misrepresentations are made by a few Republican governors.

Bobby Jindal (a Repub candidate for pres in 2010?) is the latest.....turning down more than $90 million in federal unemployment insurance benefits for residents of Louisiana with the false claim that it would result in a tax increase for state businesses.

Makes Jindal sound like a partisan "demon" to me.