The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #211
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Well, yesman, I've only been half following your discussion with MaggieL, but the half I saw tells me you need to understand guns and the guns-and-people interface considerably better than you do.
We all have our own opinions - neither right nor wrong - just different.

Quote:
I see that in the fact that you're not pro-gun enough. I can suggest a few written works that would help your understanding a great deal -- as they helped mine. Shall I do a PM?
no thanks I think I have a good grasp of the situation and simply disagree with her - and you I guess.

Quote:
She does know more about the benevolent effects of privately owned killing tools than you've ever thought of.
Perhaps making more of the benevolent effects of guns and downplaying (or completely ignoring) the negatives leads you too, to this conclusion.
I have said what I believe and after all the banter, shall continue to stand fast in them.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #212
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
We all have our own opinions - neither right nor wrong - just different.
A perfect example of the kind of mindless no-fault relativism widely promoted in our educational system these days.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #213
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL View Post
A perfect example of the kind of mindless no-fault relativism widely promoted in our educational system these days.
Ah yes, and views pounded into us by the state would be so much better.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #214
MaggieL

Quote:
Whatever.
Thank you for clarifying your point. Somehow my viewpoint just wasn't nuanced enough to pick up on the incicive logic of "whatever".

Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #215
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Ah yes, and views pounded into us by the state would be so much better.
Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but the educational system is *run* by the state.

Must have been all that pounding.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #216
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I had other less mature responses for you too, MaggieL, but I thought better of using any of them. Therefore I'll continue on the high road while you may feel free to sling mud and disparaging remarks at will. I would have to respect you to care what you think of me and you have certainly not gained any and lost what little you had.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #217
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I am aware of that and I have my seperate issues with that but at least it allows us to have more than one view.

You are implying that our educational system is too soft on ideas that might not work, right? How would you fix this? Selecting one system and brainwashing our students to believe that is the "right" way (what I believe is happening anyways)? Seriously, how would you like it?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #218
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #219
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
You are implying that our educational system is too soft on ideas that might not work, right?
No. I'm not saying the educational system is soft on ideas. I'm saying the system built on soft ideas.

Critical thinking seems to have been largely abandonded in favor that particularly pernicious flavor of sociospeak that Richard Mitchell once referred to as "Educanto". Everyone does indeed have their own opinion, but critical thinking reveals that not all opinions are deserving of equal respect.

Last edited by MaggieL; 01-09-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #220
MaggieL

Quote:
I had other less mature responses for you too...
There's a difference between "standing on the moral high ground" and "not struggling because you're in quicksand".

Last edited by MaggieL; 01-09-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #221
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
Critical thinking seems to have been largely abandonded in favor that particularly pernicious flavor of sociospeak that Richard Mitchell once referred to as "Educanto". Everyone does indeed have their own opinion, but critical thinking reveals that not all opinions are deserving of equal respect.
Does that include critical thinking of fire arms? Or only ideas that suits your opinion?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #222
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL View Post
There's a difference between "standing on the moral high ground" and "not struggling because you're in quicksand".
"Message refused. Return to Sender"
Old 01-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #223
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
No. I'm not saying the educational system is soft on ideas. I'm saying the system built on soft ideas.
How so? I think the idea itself isn't bad just that it doesn't work as planned. Just like communism.

Quote:
Everyone does indeed have their own opinion, but critical thinking reveals that not all opinions are deserving of equal respect.
Agreed but all that leads to is 'if you disagree with me your opinion is wrong which doesn't deserve equal respect'. The bias in determining which idea is respectable ruins that whole idea.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #224
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

"Critical thinking seems to have been largely abandonded "

I'm not sure what the system is like in the US, but here, students are encouraged to do a lot more critical thinking than they were perhaps twenty years ago or so. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to infer than rote learning was more beneficial, although in some aspects I would argue that it is and should still be employed.

It's about teaching people how to learn. Some go off half cocked and don't 'get it', but others benefit greatly from it.

I don't think the system is perfect. In fact, I think it's a long way from it, but it's certainly better than it was. More inclusive for starters, and that's an incredibly important aspect in a learning environment.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #225
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

In America from what I have noticed it is either you are a "democratic captitalistic" patriot or you are a commie. That may just be the white republican suburban atomosphere that I grew up in though.