The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #211
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well, Christianity to start.....but I think the real money was in sects. Catholicism, surely...Protestants later.....

I'm out of my depth when it gets detailed though.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #212
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Most non-profits (tax exempt) do no charity work, or so little it doesn't amount to anything. That said, the tax code separates religious organizations into a separate category from charities and non-profits.
As a matter of fact, if you look at Tax code: TITLE 26 > Subtitle A > CHAPTER 1 > Subchapter F > PART I > § 501, there are almost 30 different categories of tax exempt organizations. Things like Boy/girl Scouts, cemeteries, fraternities and the Rotary club are exempt, but I don't see them doing much charity work.

I forgot to add the local gun club with over 3,000 members. No charity there.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-23-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add gun club
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #213
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Most non-profits (tax exempt) do no charity work, or so little it doesn't amount to anything. That said, the tax code separates religious organizations into a separate category from charities and non-profits.
I can understand a non-profit organization that, for example, operates as a club. However what is the purpose of defining a non-profit that has no assets and no income? Do its members at least pay dues for the refreshments? Is it only a fixture to legally protect its members from what happens at the party? I don't understand the reason for a non-profit organization that has zero assets.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #214
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
However what is the purpose of defining a non-profit that has no assets and no income?
I don't think anyone has suggested the existence of such an organization...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #215
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I can only guess that most any group that falls in that category would handle at least some dues or donations to cover activities. This would shield them from accounting and tax liability for the treasury that's keep in an envelope in Mildred's underwear drawer.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #216
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I don't think anyone has suggested the existence of such an organization...
See the web site posted by xoxoxoBruce. Maybe half of the non-profits are listed with zero assets and zero income. So the question is why would these organizations ever go throught the headaches of legal status and annual IRS filings when no money is even involved?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #217
tw

To put numbers to this. Americans donate about $100 billion per year to religious organizations. That amounts to 1 in every 3 dollars donated by private Americans to all charities.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #218
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do those numbers come from claims on individual IRS returns, or from declarations of the recipients? I surprised it's only 1 in 3.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #219
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
See the web site posted by xoxoxoBruce. Maybe half of the non-profits are listed with zero assets and zero income. So the question is why would these organizations ever go throught the headaches of legal status and annual IRS filings when no money is even involved?
Maybe they need legal status to limit liability.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #220
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Jimbo, I thought you ignored rkz a hundred or so posts back?

I disagree with rkz on this point though. Churches in general provide a service to some people in the community who don't fit into the criteria social services require. Some people need the church and the leadership it forms. Some people are sheep and can't find their way by themselves. It costs money to help people. (not to mention buying candles)

As to profits...well, obviously with attendance at churches dwindling, the 'profits' are surely dwindling comparitively. Anyway, have you tried running a church lately? What with cakes being on the outer (cause everyone's on the atkins diet) and not too many putting into the plate (cause there's too many theives in church), it's pretty hard to put the body of christ and wine on the table!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #221
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i have weak ignore power. it lasted like 8 hours. meh.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #222
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Do those numbers come from claims on individual IRS returns, or from declarations of the recipients? I surprised it's only 1 in 3.
Numbers from:
Giving USA Foundation at Indiana University's Center on Philanthropy
NYU's Heyman Center for Philanthropy
A book by an NYU author called "The Greater Good: How Philanthropy Drives the American Economy and Can Save Capitalism"
An episode of Charlie Rose.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #223
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

kept wonderin what they were sayin bout you huh?
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #224
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
your local catholic church collects a tithing, i presume? I expect that they send at least some portion of that up the ladder toward Rome? (maybe I'm wrong about that) .....

ah, I'm being cute here....my real point was that IMO, religious orginizations (religions) exist in the first place because they are profitable. if there was no money/power/security in them, they would be practiced privately in peoples homes only.
Good point. IMHO, religion is about support, religious institutions are about power/wealth/control. I believe that each Catholic archdiocese in America is incorporated - to reduce liability, especially from pedophilia law suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
..I disagree with rkz on this point though. Churches in general provide a service to some people in the community who don't fit into the criteria social services require.
Providing service is common, and the provider is almost always taxed. For instance, a doctor provides a service, and pays taxes. Why should a church be different?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #225
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Here we go...

The concept of separation of church and state, as outlined as a principle to hold by the penmen of the constitution (although, it still befuddles why they didn’t actually put it IN the constitution…), implies that the government should have NO control over any organization related to jebus, allah, Yahweh, FSM, or any religious figure whatsoever. As against the organized churches as I am, I’m going to have to say that taxation amounts to involvement.

Also, because they have no ‘product’ (other than than smug look on the face of clergy when I tell them of MY religious choice) per se, the logistics are near impossible whil maintaining that separation. Do we tax them like an individual or a business? How do we decide which of their income is deductible? What about tax write offs? Do we enforce minimum wage for the priests?

‘Hands off’ is the best way to look at it. Just as long as you’re absolutely hands off. That means no city, state, or federal gov’t can tax them… but can likewise not give them money, not built city improvements based on their needs, nothing. Or my personal favorite… NOT LEGISLATE GOD WHEN IT COMES TO MY DRINKING HABITS! No alcohol on Sundays = unconstitutional…. Just had to throw that last bit in.