The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #196
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Sorry Dana, not meant as an insult. You and Sugar and Henry and Whip are obviously way more well read than I. All I was trying to say to Henry is BACK THE F OFF. The point of the post was to discuss what YOUR OWN PERSONAL concept of freedom is; not to belittle everyone else's as he has done. I was just sooooo tired of him shouting in incomplete sentneces from his soapbox about how right he is. I felt the need to speak up, no matter how DENSE he might think I am.

Why am I in this handbasket, and why is it so hot?

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #197
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
"I have the FREEDOM to express my opinion of your opinion on this thread"

actually, no, you don't

you've been given the privilege to do so by the owner/mods

if you were truly 'free' to post here, then no one could pull your plug
Wrong, in the Cellar you have "freedom" to post your crap. If that wasn't so, someone would've "pulled your plug" long ago. :p
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #198
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche View Post
Sorry Dana, not meant as an insult. You and Sugar and Henry and Whip are obviously way more well read than I. All I was trying to say to Henry is BACK THE F OFF. The point of the post was to discuss what YOUR OWN PERSONAL concept of freedom is; not to belittle everyone else's as he has done. I was just sooooo tired of him shouting in incomplete sentneces from his soapbox about how right he is. I felt the need to speak up, no matter how DENSE he might think I am.

Why am I in this handbasket, and why is it so hot?
*smiles* wasn't insulted. My tongue was in my cheek when I posted.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #199
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Thank you Bruce. My opinion of your opinion of Henry's opinion of my opinion is that I like your opinion.

K great Dana. You are an extremely bright woman. I think I used to be, but real life has burned away the educated section of brain cells. It's all been reduced to practicality.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #200
DanaC

I elected to burn away all practicality instead :P

but... that's besides the point; which is:

Quote:
You are an extremely bright woman. I think I used to be, but real life has burned away the educated section of brain cells.
Oh stuff and nonsense. What piffle.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #201
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche View Post
K great Dana. You are an extremely bright woman.
Bah, she's just a burned out old hippie.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #202
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"You will not change my opinion of you sir, no matter how hard you try. I still see you as a bitter Academic with a sad sour view of the world and those around you. That is all."

you misunderstand, queenie: i don't give a flip of your opinion about 'me'...i'm simply defending what i posted (my words and the meanings of those words) against misinterpretation

think of 'me' whatever you like

---

"i think , what you post is so fucking stupid"

and i, dear whip, think you're a fucking idiot: pedestrian, unoriginal, boring

-----

"All I was trying to say to Henry is BACK THE F OFF"

if you, queenie, can comment 'freely' about my posts and -- in the process -- characterize me as 'a bitter Academic' (which as far as i can see, has no relevance at all to the substance of my posts in this thread), then i can continue to post what i like, as i like, till a mod takes away the privilege

it seems what's good for the goose is indeed good for the gander...

-----

"I was just sooooo tired of him shouting in incomplete sentneces from his soapbox about how right he is."

but queenie: the whole point of philosophy (which is what this sub-forum is all about) is the on-going debate of ideas...this is not the 'nothingland', this is 'philosophy'

my 'shouting' in this thread, within this forum, is what happens when ideas are debated

seems to me: if you want to 'play nice', 'be nice', there are plenty of other sub-forums and threads to meander 'round in

you'll note: i'm mostly confined to a handful of threads, a smattering of sub-forums...mainly, because so many others (many where you are quite prominent, i must add) are useless ego strokes and vehicles for virtual and public flirtations

do i walk through, stick my nose in, and comment about how vapid you are there and there and there?

no: i do not

i leave you to your idiocies and feel no compulsion to 'attention seek' at your expense

you, however, haven't addressed anything i've written in this thread other than to essentially say, 'henry makes me 'feel bad'!

now: i can't stop you or anyone from doing that...but, then: you can't stop me either...you can't stop me from being, as you say, bitter and angry, and you can't stop me from carrying on an act of philosophical debate with anyone who cares to engage me

(and when is someone gonna do that? there's lots of poo-pooing, but no real attempts at refutation)

-----

"in the Cellar you have "freedom" to post your crap"

a 'freedom' given to you, bruce, by another (the owner and mods allowing your membership, allowing you to post without editing) is not a 'freedom' in the sense of being 'free' of anything

it's privilege: pure and simple

as for my 'crap': the owner/mods can pull the plug on me any time...not a dammed thing i can do about it

that i'm still here says a lot about the owner/mods tolerance for different views, or, perhaps it says something for the owner/mods AGREEING with me

hmmm...

regardless of owner/mods motivation(s): i'm here, you're here, we're all HERE only because the guy/gal with the power allows it...this is not 'freedom', this -- again -- is privilege

to be redundant (HA!): if you rely on another to provide or secure a 'right' or 'freedom' for you then you have no 'right' or 'freedom' only a privilege

the owner/mods give; the owner/ mods taketh away...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #203
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Feel free to call me dense, an idiot, vapid, etc. I will continue to disagree, and you sir can continue to be bitter and defensive. (The purpose of those threads is to enjoy being vapid - glad you haven't polluted them with your redundant debate.) Have a Blessed Friggin Day.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #204
henry quirk

"I will continue to disagree"

please do, queenie...and i will continue to point out your errors

seems like we've defined our relationship...how nice...many married couples, after loads of years, never reach such a definitive understanding

"and you sir can continue to be bitter and defensive."

i will, queenie, i will...

(The purpose of those threads is to enjoy being vapid - glad you haven't polluted them with your redundant debate.)

i'll give you this, queenie: i've never met anyone who readily admitted to being vapid, to enjoying vapidity...kudos!

"Have a Blessed Friggin Day."

you too...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #205
henry quirk

by the way: someone via a private message, tells me you, bruce, are a mod

if so: thanks allowing my bitter, defensive, redundant self the privilege of posting unencumbered...

in fact: i have a great appreciation for any and all mods and the owner for being at least somewhat less reactionary and skittish than some members...kinda refreshing...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #206
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

you missed a spot.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #207
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

"I will continue to disagree"

please do, queenie...and i will continue to point out your errors

seems like we've defined our relationship...how nice...many married couples, after loads of years, never reach such a definitive understanding

Not my errors, but the points we disagree on. And I agree with your comment about marriage: We agree to disagree.

(And yes at times it feels good to be vapid. It's freeing. You should try it. Maybe lighten up a little. Unless you enjoy your bitterness. Then, as you were.)

Last edited by Queen of the Ryche; 04-23-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #208
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Bah, she's just a burned out old manc tart.

Fixed that for ya

[eta] one man's vapidity is another man's light-heartedness. Frivolity and whimsy have their place. Personally, I spend way more time posting frivolous 'vapid' stuff than anything of any weight. Which is nice. I think.

Last edited by DanaC; 04-23-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #209
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Jebus H Cripes, I can't read your formatting up thar.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #210
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Sorry Shawnee. FTFY. (For some reason my quotey button didn't do it's job correctly.)