Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #181
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Go get 'em Merc. TGRR has no idea how shitheaded totalitarians are -- it's an occupational disease -- and the CIA has an intimate knowledge of just that very thing. As do the more honest sorts in State.

A hypothetical that TGRR cannot answer: just how fucked up would Laos have gotten without the presence of any communists within its borders? Would Cambodia have even risked loss of a fifth of its population if there were no communists there? Could the CIA have ruined either country?
Who gives a fuck about Laos? Why was that our responsibility in the first fucking place? We basically charged in, made an ass out of ourselves, got caught, and looked even worse than we did for just the Vietnam thing.

And the gain for America was...what, again?
TGRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #182
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

What would the gain have been had we won? For instance, right off the bat, a Communist International with a crippled morale as well as an impoverished, underperforming economy? Would not communism and its attendant monstrous consequences have fallen the faster? It's nice to think so.

I see you cannot answer the question I posed, or that so far you have made no cogent response to it. If you're going to pretend to answer, couldn't you do a better job? Or is my take on it really that much better than yours? It is my contention that no communists in either country would have allowed much more peace and prosperity to prevail in both Cambodia and Laos. Any disagreement there?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #183
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
What would the gain have been had we won? For instance, right off the bat, a Communist International with a crippled morale as well as an impoverished, underperforming economy? Would not communism and its attendant monstrous consequences have fallen the faster? It's nice to think so.
And I care...why? I'm not particularly concerned about how idiots in other nations care to screw themselves, or the speed at which they do it.

Quote:
I see you cannot answer the question I posed, or that so far you have made no cogent response to it. If you're going to pretend to answer, couldn't you do a better job? Or is my take on it really that much better than yours? It is my contention that no communists in either country would have allowed much more peace and prosperity to prevail in both Cambodia and Laos. Any disagreement there?
No disagreement, because I really don't care enough about either nation to have an opinion on the subject. Both of them could burn down and slide into the ocean, for all I care. In any case, neither of them was worth a single American life, or a single American dollar...or the embarrassment of utter failure (again) by the CIA. Really, I have no idea how we ever showed our face around the Brits and the Russians.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #184
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
I have no idea how we ever showed our face around the Brits and the Russians.
Because, as stupid as the CIA are, they probably didn't actively try to put Al-Qaeda linked groups in charge of a country running a secret WMD program. Qaddafi has long been our own little Castro, only much more amusing, I'm not even sure why we'd want to kill him. Listening to him babble about "Greater Libya" is almost worth it on its own.
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #185
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang View Post
Because, as stupid as the CIA are,
That statement alone is worth a
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #186
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang View Post
Because, as stupid as the CIA are, they probably didn't actively try to put Al-Qaeda linked groups in charge of a country running a secret WMD program. Qaddafi has long been our own little Castro, only much more amusing, I'm not even sure why we'd want to kill him. Listening to him babble about "Greater Libya" is almost worth it on its own.
Khaddafy was the funniest enemy we ever had.

Why can't he go totally apeshit, like he did back in the Reagan days?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #187
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
That statement alone is worth a
Dude, they really are morons. They're basically Harvard prettyboys that couldn't get hired in the real world.