The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #1816
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Shame the wars he advocated didn't produce a suitable donor till now.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #1817
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Looks like England is a little farther from France than it was yesterday.

Or closer.

The crumbling cliffs of Dover: Now France is even further away

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #1818
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I remember one time getting a ferry to France, and watching the cliffs recede. They look incredible in real life.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #1819
GunMaster357
Professor

We have the same kind of cliffs in Etretat further down the coast from Calais.

Incredible is not strong enough a word.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #1820
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So, are the two of ya's closer now, or farther apart?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #1821
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

With hindsight, this might have been asking for trouble:

Name:  KABOOM.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  66.6 KB

Quote:
A bus driver changing a tyre has escaped unhurt after the vehicle burst into flames.

The 45-seat kaBOOM party bus was on its way to collect schoolchildren for an excursion when a tyre burst, near Mallala on Adelaide's northern outskirts.

The driver managed to pull over safely and was attempting to change the tyre when fire erupted.

Country Fire Service crews took half an hour to put out the blaze, which destroyed the bus which had a KABOOM1 numberplate.

Am I a bad person for finding this funny?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #1822
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
@ Zen: I love that Big Butter Jesus (or Touchdown Jesus Part Deux) has made international news. It's been quite the talk around here. Many of us have seen that monstrosity. A friend told me his kid would be upset because she knows when she saw Jebus that King's Island was just a little farther away. We had a fire alarm at the school the day after it happened and as we made our way down the stairwell I heard another administrator say "If it can happen to Butter Jesus it can happen to any of us."

Here's a link for more info: http://www.whiotv.com/news/23901668/detail.html

Check out the slideshow. I find the "after" photo to be particularly hilarious.
You're all going to be very happy to hear this.

My newest cow orker (possibly the coolest girl on earth!) commutes from the south and goes by The Solid Rock church. She told me this morning that there were two really good signs: first that I got my deductible back (other insurance company investigated and took 100% liability when Hit and Run Harry tried to get his car fixed) and the second that THEY ARE STARTING CONSTRUCTION ON THE NEW AND IMPROVED BIG BUTTER JESUS!

Here is the original jebus, then jebus as a flaming ball of...flames, then the aftermath of the flaming ball of holiness, then the 'new and improved jebus.'

(I tried to insert images between commentary but that won't work for me)

Now tell me all you Spinal Tap fans aren't thinking of Stonehenge and thinking: a little too much fucking perspective if you ask me!
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #1823
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What fresh hideousness is this?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #1824
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
I got my deductible back (other insurance company investigated and took 100% liability when Hit and Run Harry tried to get his car fixed
Excellent! So they found him after all. Great news.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #1825
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

1 -- model looks like it's made of goat cheese, which is ew. (no offense Griff)

2 -- what was the thing made of that burned so vigorously, holy fire? paper mache?

3 -- commentary (picture) more commentary (more pics) can be done with up to four images per post by using the attach images / paperclip thingy. I'll find a post for an example.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #1826
infinite monkey

I kid that it was made of marshmallows and styrofoam. Apparently styrofoam isn't far from the truth. Looking back I had to laugh because driving by I just thought it was a giant marble structure. How dumb of me? Can you imagine the cost, the weight of such a rock? D'oh!

I know, classic, ain't that awesome?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #1827
infinite monkey

Oh, bigv, when I tried that all I got were little red x boxes with the names of the files in them, when I 'previewed' the post.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #1828
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

From here

Quote:
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources Inland Fisheries (DNR) is hoping so and is offering $200 gift cards through Bass Pro Shops to residents who capture and kill a snakehead, an invasive species from Africa that is upsetting the natural order of the local ecosystem.
Quote:
One photo uploaded on Thursday by recreational angler Berry shows him with seven dead snakehead. He says he had to shoot them with a gun. Berry wrote that the snakehead have been noticeably devastating the local bass population. "The snakehead are simply taking over the spawning grounds," he wrote.
Wow. That's one tough fish. Were they introduced for food or as 'pets'? How do they taste?

It does sound like a real 'sporting' fish though. I'd probably use a baseball bat instead of a gun though.

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #1829
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

It gets even weirder.

Quote:
Snakehead scared everyone when they first showed up in American waters. Part of the fear was environmental: as the fish, originally from Southeast Asia, crept up the Atlantic coast, they decimated native species. They were at the top of the food chain; smallmouth bass could not compete with their razor-sharp teeth. The other part of the fear was visceral. Snakeheads look monstrous.
Now, though, the Baltimore Sun reports that a group of chefs and environmentalists in Maryland is trying to bring the snakeheads down a notch, by eating them. The brave snakehead cooks have said that firm, fast-cooking snakehead meat tastes like chicken. (This group joins an exciting bandwagon of cooks who are using new recipes to combat the pervasive problem of invasive species.)
They do sound tasty.
Quote:
"It's just like any other fish -- salmon, mahi-mahi -- it's just kind of an uglier-looking fish," says sous chef Eli Morris. "Sauteing it, it's just like eating chicken, I hate to say that."
Depending on how it's prepared, snakehead is a bit firmer than other white fish, which means it stands up to a grill better. But it's sweet, mild and clean. In the hands of a great deep-fry cook, it might be a great substitute for cod in a platter of fish and chips. More sustainable, too.
Head chef Chad Wells, an avid angler from childhood who has been out on Maryland's tributaries stalking snakeheads, says he would create a different recipe, depending on which section of the fish was being used: sauteing tail pieces, frying the fillets from the middle section and grilling portions near the head.
"It cooks fast, as fast as
So we have a tasty fish that the state actually wants hunted/fished to extinction. If I lived in Maryland I'd be out back with a flashlight, a baseball bat, and cast iron frying pan. Heck, I could leave the baseball bat and just hit them with the frying pan.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-07-2012 at 09:42 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #1830
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They even look tasty!
Lovely dappled scales and all that.

I forgot to take a photo, but was pleased with a sign outside the only independent butcher left in town "Meat Shortage Due! Please Panic Buy!"

Made me grin widely. 'Cept I won't buy from them after that butcher was very rude to me the other year.

Explanation if needed:
(Not of his rudeness, of the sign) Panic buying ensued at petrol pumps after tanker drivers threatened a strike. Like a run on a bank, the panic was fuelled [sic] by word of mouth, irresponsible media coverage and a laughable Govt response which advised people to buy and store fuel (?!) in jerry cans. Which is illegal and can be highly dangerous.