The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #166
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
I can appreciate your anger as a mother.
Eh, she's not a mother. We're childfree.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #167
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Radar, Quick question because I don't know the answer and you probably will. Where does the money for welfare come from? Does it come from the taxpayers or ?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #168
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Radar,

Was your mother bitten by a philosopher or something while she was carrying you?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 PM   #169
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Why do women play music for their parasite? Why do they talk to it so it learns their voice? Why do they quit drinking and change their living habits?
Because they choose to and because they want thier fetus to develop normally.

Quote:
That parent/offspring relationship begins during pregnancy, it does not begin at birth.
It most certainly does. Just as you can not have a relationship with a person locked behind a wall, you can't have a relationship with a fetus. You may stimulate the fetus with things like music or indirect touch through the skin, but only a fool would be so bold as to call something that minor a relationship.

Quote:
A late term fetus is not a lump that just sits there and leeches
No, it's not a lump. It is shaped more like a big headed baby than a lump. And it doesn't just sit there. It moves around which is not sentience (consciousness), and it's not sitting on anything. It is leeching however.

Quote:
Radar, Quick question because I don't know the answer and you probably will. Where does the money for welfare come from? Does it come from the taxpayers or ?
The quick answer is it comes from taxpayers. But the truth is it really doesn't come from income tax payers. It comes from those who pay tariffs & import fees (in the form of higher prices), excise taxes, inflation (government theft by reducing the value of our money by printing more than we have to back it up), etc.

Most of the money used to pay for social welfare plans (other than social security) doesn't come from income taxes. Income taxes are mainly used to pay for other unconstitutional programs like foreign aid, and to pay the interest on the 60+ Trillion Dollars of debt the U.S. government has racked up thank to the Republicans and Democrats.

Quote:
Was your mother bitten by a philosopher or something while she was carrying you?
I'll take that as a compliment.

I just got the political/philosophical bug years ago. I didn't get super active until Peter McWilliams was murdered by the U.S. Government for trying to save his own life. After that I got a fire in my belly that just won't die until I do.

Last edited by Radar; 03-15-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #170
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:

I'll take that as a compliment.

I just got the political/philosophical bug years ago. I didn't get super active until Peter McWilliams was murdered by the U.S. Government for trying to save his own life. After that I got a fire in my belly that just won't die until I do.
Take it as you will, but that ain't it. I'm just reminded of all of the people who say they have a scar or a phobia because their mother was bitten by something while they were being carried.

I was going to say that I've never met someone who so doggedly defended their unprovable dogma, but then I remembered all of the theists out there in their various guises. They at least have the fallback of faith. What's your excuse?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #171
elSicomoro

TS, are you familiar with the McWilliams situation?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #172
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
TS, are you familiar with the McWilliams situation?
Nope, and I wasn't referring to it in any way.

We live in a wash of inequity, venality, banality, and vice. Conspiracies abound, collusion runs rampant, and coercion is the order of the day.

I am aware of that. I expect it. I'm not referring to any conspiracy or cabal trying to take our lives and freedoms away, I take that for granted.

As a sonar technician on a fast attack submarine, I've dealt with spooks, DIA, killers, Navy SEALS. I've met people that the only thing stopping them from looking right through me was the fact that I carry Top Secret information in my head. I've met the people who do the real dirty work. I know people who SCARE me.

Part of the reason they scare me is their unshakable beliefs. An unwillingness to accept the possibility of being incorrect.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:17 PM   #173
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter
Nope, and I wasn't referring to it in any way.
I was just asking out of curiosity...we've discussed him here before.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #174
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

I was just asking out of curiosity...we've discussed him here before.
Ah.

I looked it up after my outburst, just to see.

And it's kind of funny that the quote that would pop up when I got back was:

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
-- Nietzsche
Old 03-15-2004, 10:01 PM   #175
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:

A fetus is not a person and is not entitled to rights.
If you are speaking legally, I believe that only applies in some states and during some period of the pregnancy. Morally, I believe that is a simplistic approach and a pretty crumby attitude.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:09 PM   #176
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by dar512

crumby attitude.
now, I would have spelled that: crummy......but your way ads a whole different visualization to the word.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #177
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

As a sonar technician on a fast attack submarine, I've dealt with spooks, DIA, killers, Navy SEALS. I've met people that the only thing stopping them from looking right through me was the fact that I carry Top Secret information in my head. I've met the people who do the real dirty work. I know people who SCARE me.

man, you're cool.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #178
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

man, you're cool.
*checking for sarcasm*
Old 03-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #179
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Ping!
sarcasm confirmed. I repeat....sarcasm confirmed. Collision imminent! Collision Imminent! Dive! Dive!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #180
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
They at least have the fallback of faith. What's your excuse?
I don't require faith because natural law is self-evident to virtually every person on the planet. Those who don't recognize natural law/natural rights are among a very small minority.

Quote:
If you are speaking legally, I believe that only applies in some states and during some period of the pregnancy. Morally, I believe that is a simplistic approach and a pretty crumby attitude.
I was speaking biologically and in the sense of natural law not governmental law which is much lower than natural law. A fetus is not a person biologically and therefore is not yet entitled to the natural rights of a person. And personally I find it to be a great attitude and I wish everyone had it. The attitude of allowing others to decide for themselves what they will or won't do with thier bodies, lives, minds, etc. without government interference is wonderful indeed.

Quote:
Ping!
sarcasm confirmed. I repeat....sarcasm confirmed. Collision imminent! Collision Imminent! Dive! Dive!
Man the Torpedos!