The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Which BEST describes your coming (public vote!)
Image of the Day 22 32.84%
Random surf 12 17.91%
Fellow Dwellars 10 14.93%
Other and it's enormity 23 34.33%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #166
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Blue, 30 minutes may be plenty for you. For some people ten minutes is fine, for others an hour is constricting. If I am able to edit for 2 hours, this doesn't prevent you editing within the 30 minutes that you feel is enough. If the limit is 30 minutes, that does lprevent me editing within my preferred timeframe.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #167
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

in real life....you cannot unsay something you've said. many people read and react to posts within minutes. if you come back and change something, you make them look foolish. they cant tell that you edited your post unless they re-read....and how often do you do that?

good move UT.

maybe take a moment's pause and proof read your posts before you hit send?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #168
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Maybe one hour as a compromise?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #169
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Blue, 30 minutes may be plenty for you. For some people ten minutes is fine, for others an hour is constricting. If I am able to edit for 2 hours, this doesn't prevent you editing within the 30 minutes that you feel is enough. If the limit is 30 minutes, that does lprevent me editing within my preferred timeframe.
i would suggest that you quote yourself and rephrase or restate...like you would do in real life.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #170
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Dana--true, if I do edit at all, it's usually within a few minutes. I just find it a little annoying sometimes when I've replied to a post, and then find out later that the post has changed completely.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #171
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'm fine with 30 minutes. there are/have been people who abuse the editing facility to incite trouble, either by annoying people then removing the content so the annoyed people seem unreasonable, or by making accusations against unpopular posters thus opening a floodgate then removing/changing their trigger so appearing innocent. if your going to fight, at least show your colours.

It's a bulletin board. Typos and poor sentence structure are excused. Mostly. Except from asshats who claim to be grammar wizards. I'd rather deal with the errors than the trolls. it's not an English exam.

jmho
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #172
jinx
Come on, cat.

I say take all the time you want to compose your post, and then post it when you're ready.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #173
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I had an instance a few weeks ago where I'd posted a comment and really needed to get rid of the comment at the request of another poster after a number of hours had passed.

UT was quite happy to remove the comment for me for the benefit of another poster.

I'm sure there have been a number of instances where this has happened to others also.

I actually only realized there was a time limit on editing posts when that situation arose. I don't use the feature all that much other than to slightly change or add a word (which probably wouldn't make any difference to anyone else anyway). I delete a post shortly after I'd posted it recently though because even I thought it was pushing the envelope a bit.

I think that it's important for us to all remember this is not real life and the same rules about saying and unsaying don't apply. That's the good thing about the written word. There's always room for editing.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #174
DanaC

That's fair. But I don't like it. I am more comfortable editing after I have seen it as it will appear on the screen. It's like the difference between reading what you've typed in word and seeing it printed on paper. That's when I spot errors, inconsistencies in language, stuff that triggers a thought that makes me want to add something. Just the way my mind works.

At the end of the day I am one person, so it isn't that important.

Quote:
they cant tell that you edited your post unless they re-read....and how often do you do that?
On rare occasions I have posted something, edited it and someone's response has clearly been to the earlier draft. I have usually volunteered an apology to that person and pointed out to them that I have since edited the post. I would imagine anybody reading that exchange would not think the person posting after me looks foolish when it's made clear they're responding to something else.

Quote:
I say take all the time you want to compose your post, and then post it when you're ready.
As I said earlier, this change means I will have to change my posting habits and behaviour. Currently this is not what i do, because it not what i am most comfortable doing. I am therefore going to have to change the way in which i interact with the board (not the people :P). If it has to be, then it has to be, but I don't like it :P

Last edited by DanaC; 10-26-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #175
monster

Are you still using the quick reply thing, Dana? There is a print preview option available in the regular reply setting, so you can see exactly what it looks like.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #176
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Today a person emailed me about a post they made in 2004. They wanted their email addy removed from it.

I made the edit.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #177
DanaC

That's reasonable.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #178
DanaC

Quote:
Are you still using the quick reply thing, Dana? There is a print preview option available in the regular reply setting, so you can see exactly what it looks like
hmm...ok...I'll try and remember that. I always use the quick reply. Only really go to full reply if I'm lookin for smilies. *nods* that might work. Doesn't solve regretting saying something...though I tend to do that fairly quickly...on the rare occasion I've been angry enough (usuallu because I'm actually angry at someone/something else in rl) to let something unpleasant stand an hour or so, I've always checked to see if anyone's posted after. If there's nothing after it, I might nip in and edit and put an explanation ("Overly harsh") in the edit box. If there's anything after the reply I just post as normal with a climbdown.

I'll start using the full reply mode more (she says typing into the quick response box) :P
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 AM   #179
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Was gonna suggest what monster said, the preview post options works well.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #180
monster

You can still type in the quick reply box, but then hit "Go Advanced". I prefer the bigger box to type in, in the regular reply mode anyway.... no wonder you need to edit.