The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #166
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yeah, you can call them whatever you want. You can be a walking, talking, tabloid, it says so in the Constitution. Just be aware what it says about you.

There are no females in my house, so good luck with that.
So you are lucky. Me, not so much....
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #167
TheMercenary

Quote:
Just be aware what it says about you.
I am completely cool with that. It is what makes our country great.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #168
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Tabloid mentality is not what made our country great.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #169
TheMercenary

Quote:
Tabloid mentality is not what made our country great.
So why would you try to drag the tabloid angle of someone in my family into the discussion, making it personal?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #170
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Because making it personal is the only way to get your attention, the only way to demonstrate to you how you insult people with no regard to how they feel.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #171
TheMercenary

Quote:
Because making it personal is the only way to get your attention, the only way to demonstrate to you how you insult people with no regard to how they feel.
So you are cool with me calling your mother names? That gives you a right to attack my family?

Ok, so you attack my family because, "making it personal is the only way to get your attention, the only way to demonstrate to you how you insult people with no regard to how they feel".... but you just don't get it. I don't care how other people "feel".Never have, never will. That is not germain to the discussion at hand. It is really not important. These discussions are not about touchy feely ideas. I just don't care. I care about substance. Substance of the discussion and that involves, and in fact ensures, visceral feelings which tend to excite and elicit responses from the gut, that is what debate is about. I could give a shit about some woman who wants to post her pic on page 3 of a tabloid. The very notion of drawing attention to it is an example of the discussion, it is a detractor. Who gives a cares what a person decides to do with their own free will. What next? Are we going to ban abortion? So now I can insult your mother to get your attention?

Last edited by TheMercenary; 07-24-2011 at 10:51 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #172
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Like I said, you've shown repeatedly you don't give a shit about anyone else.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #173
TheMercenary

Quote:
Like I said, you've shown repeatedly you don't give a shit about anyone else.
Correct. Not completely, but few have risen to the level of where I give a shit unless they are immediate family or fellow soldier mates. The rest are on their own. So how about that mother of yours?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #174
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't forget the dogs.
Mom? That old tart's doing pretty well for 91.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #175
TheMercenary

Quote:
Don't forget the dogs.
Mom? That old tart's doing pretty well for 91.
So you are not as big an asshole as you just made yourself out to be....

Great. Neither am I, nor do I give a shit if you agree....
Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #176
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hey mercy--

You certainly have the right to call any woman any name you like. What you're missing, what everyone else here gets that you *don't get* is that your argument is built on sand. You can't simultaneously beat your breast in righteous indignation about your first amendment right to free speech and in the same breath disallow the same remark by someone else about someone else, who, coincidentally happens to be part of your family. That makes you a complete hypocrite and makes your argument invalid, by virtue of the "except when I say so" stamp of disapproval.

It's ok to talk shit about women, or it's not. Pick one. Just one. Choosing a middle ground opens every other position to the same nuance.

Personally, I find your opinion offensive. You don't know these women. No way. Maybe they are tarts. Maybe they are sluts. The insulting tone of voice is abundantly clear, but you don't get to pass judgement on them without receiving the same judgement by others.

Look. I went to Slutwalk in Seattle a short while ago and there were LOTS of sluts walking with me (heh... I was walking with them, really, no way it was *my* parade, I am just one of the sluts). Leaving aside your hypocrisy for the moment, your derision of women who choose (as you yourself pointed out) to show their tits is up to you. I find it baffling that you can hold both positions in your head at the same time.

Here's a picture that made my whole weekend. I walked up to this young woman and thanked her for the best present Father's Day present I got. Now I offer this same gift to you. If you love your daughters and your wife and your mother, you owe a measure of respect to all women, despite what they wear or don't wear. Emphasis mine.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #177
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hey mercy--

You certainly have the right to call any woman any name you like. What you're missing, what everyone else here gets that you *don't get* is that your argument is built on sand. You can't simultaneously beat your breast in righteous indignation about your first amendment right to free speech and in the same breath disallow the same remark by someone else about someone else, who, coincidentally happens to be part of your family. That makes you a complete hypocrite and makes your argument invalid, by virtue of the "except when I say so" stamp of disapproval.
That is a silly notion. A person who choses to post on Page 3 of a well know tabloid is the same as a right to free speech I happen to not disagree with... That person has free will and to try to make it out as something else, like a dominate male culture is stupid talk. Once you drag my family into it we are in open season. And if you want to make it personal go for it and expect the same response. I never dragged anyones family into this discussion so your point is utter bullshit....

Quote:
Personally, I find your opinion offensive. You don't know these women. No way. Maybe they are tarts. Maybe they are sluts. The insulting tone of voice is abundantly clear, but you don't get to pass judgement on them without receiving the same judgement by others.
I don't care.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 07-24-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: completely screwed up that line of thought....
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #178
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

mercy, would you please explain why the women in your family deserve a greater amount of respect than the women in the families of the "page three girls"?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #179
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

mercy, you say "I don't care" AND you say "if you make it personal, expect the same response". Does that mean if I make it personal, about your family, that you don't care?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 AM   #180
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Name:  IMG_0487sm cropped.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  59.6 KB

Hmmmmmm ... fathers and slutty looking daughters ... perhaps we need a name for them to remind people a relationship still exists ... I've got it ... Pop-Tarts!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote