The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-17-2004, 01:17 PM   #166
garnet

For Brigliadore:

Here are your links. I can get you more in case this isn't enought for you.

If I recall correctly, our only previous "interaction" consisted of 3 or 4 pages of bickering back and forth on the merits (or lack thereof) of PETA. It basically amounted to nothing--we didn't agree on anything. I'm not interested in a replay of that, nor, I believe, is anyone else.

I highly doubt that you or anyone on this site will change their opinion of PETA based on anything I say. Like I said--I'm not going to argue with you anymore about the semantics of a leopard's consciousness. You've got your opinions, I've got mine. It just appears to me that you came back to this thread for suspect reasons. It's funny, first I get attacked for posting ONLY to PETA threads, and now I'm getting ripped on for NOT posting to them. Make up your minds already.

The first link is the site Bruce referred to in his post:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories...219&ran=244316

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/080...dofreward.html

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...lines-virginia

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=163037&rfi=6

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=214849&rfi=6

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/20/news.../kfc/index.htm

http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs...107140058&rs=2

http://picayuneitem.com/articles/200...s/01hogdog.txt

http://www.news-bulletin.com/news/41728-06-16-04.html

http://www.ksat.com/news/3380329/detail.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/jacitpat/i...9386293840.xml

http://reviewappeal.midsouthnews.com...key=1084820386

If you'd like to see undercover video of animal cruelty fimed by PETA go to this link:

http://www.petatv.com/inv.html
Be sure to check out the two videos of the pig farms. I'm sure you'll find them quite entertaining.

Last edited by garnet; 08-17-2004 at 02:38 PM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #167
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigliadore
If you don't want to give me the names of some people who are experts on Leopards thats fine by me. Its no skin off my nose, I'll just continue to assume the nature programs are correct and go about my life.
You go do that. I just think it's entertaining that your entire "education" on this subject comes from watching TV--you know, those intellectual "nature programs" that you are so fond of (and you never did name which particular "nature program" you found to be such a wealth of indisputable information). You requested some "enlightenment" from me on this subject--may I suggest you TURN OFF THE TV for 5 minutes and pick up a book, take a class, or go to the library? You should really try it sometime.

Last edited by garnet; 08-17-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #168
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
You go do that. I just think it's entertaining that your entire "education" on this subject comes from watching TV--you know, those intellectual "nature programs" that you are so fond of (and you never did name which particular "nature program" you found to be such a wealth of indisputable information). You requested some "enlightenment" from me on this subject--may I suggest you TURN OFF THE TV for 5 minutes and pick up a book, take a class, or go to the library? You should really try it sometime.
Was that nasty a post really necessary? If I recall (but of course the post isn't there any more to prove this) I did list specific programs, Nova, National Geographic, a big cats program on Animal Planet, plus several magazine articles and a few other programs. When one program or magazine says it I take it with a grain of salt but when several mention it I tend to think they aren't blowing smoke up my ass. I do "Turn off the TV", in fact its off quite a bit. I frequent the library at least once a week, I do take classes, and I subscribe to magazines like Smithsonian and National Geographic. I have taken a number of classes on Animal Science and the like in both High School and College. As well as being a volunteer at the LA Zoo for a few years in High school (which is where I initially learned about the Leopard thing by the way). Before you post nasty things back to people don't assume you know anything about their life. Reading a few posts I made doesn't make you an expert on my life.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #169
garnet

Quote:
Was that nasty a post really necessary?
You chose to reopen this discussion, after already knowing what a bitch I am. I suspect you were looking for a fight to start with, or you wouldn't have reopened this thread. Sorry, that's what you get for pushing the issue

Quote:
As well as being a volunteer at the LA Zoo for a few years in High school (which is where I initially learned about the Leopard thing by the way).
Hey, this is the first I've heard of the whole zoo experience. You stated already that you got your information on leopards from "nature programs":

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigliadore
If you don't want to give me the names of some people who are experts on Leopards thats fine by me. Its no skin off my nose, I'll just continue to assume the nature programs are correct and go about my life.
You wouldn't be contradicting yourself, would you?

Quote:
Before you post nasty things back to people don't assume you know anything about their life. Reading a few posts I made doesn't make you an expert on my life.
What else am I supposed to go on, other than your posts? Like I said before, I don't know who you are, and I don't care. And by the way, "you're welcome" for all the links that I posted for you...

Last edited by garnet; 08-17-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #170
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Warning - long post

Quote:
If I recall correctly, our only previous "interaction" consisted of 3 or 4 pages of bickering back and forth on the merits (or lack thereof) of PETA. It basically amounted to nothing--we didn't agree on anything. I'm not interested in a replay of that, nor, I believe, is anyone else.
Now I see where you are coming from. My interpretation of the PETA thread was a different one and thats where I was coming from. I thought we had a few heated posts back and forth and then we both calmed down and it was all over. I expressed a desire to educate my self on something I didn't know enough about (PETA) and you offered to help there. When I posted to this thread it was for that reason alone. Believe me I don't want to go around and around arguing any more either. As I said earlier I have only ever had negative experiences with people who claim to represent PETA (and if you would like the details so you know where I am coming from on the matter I am happy to PM them to you). I like to think I am a fairly open minded person and after I realized I was having a knee jerk reaction to the fact you work for PETA I thought it best to ask you to enlighten me on the good the organization does. I have looked up PETA on the internet and the majority of the sites are about bad stuff. Its most likely that bad news travels faster then good. So I was asking you for the good stuff because you seem to be in a good position to supply them.

Quote:
I highly doubt that you or anyone on this site will change their opinion of PETA based on anything I say.
but I think I deserve a chance to change my mind. I am expressing a desire to correct some misgivings about the organization, all I am asking is you help me with that.

Quote:
It just appears to me that you came back to this thread for suspect reasons. It's funny, first I get attacked for posting ONLY to PETA threads, and now I'm getting ripped on for NOT posting to them. Make up your minds already.
It was not my intent to come into this thread to attack you or anything of that sort. For the record I would like it noted that I never once attacked you for not posting in other threads. I am well aware that others did, but I did not. And I did not rip on you for not posting in this one. Since the subject had been reopened and I still had a desire to learn about PETA I asked that you please supply the links you had previously said you would.

I have read thought about half the links you posted. I wish I could say I was shocked at the things people do to animals, but I worked for a Humane Society for quite a while and helped with the cruelty investigations on occasion so I have seen what some of these so called humans can do to animals.

Quote:
You chose to reopen this discussion, after already knowing what a bitch I am. I suspect you were looking for a fight to start with, or you wouldn't have reopened this thread. Sorry, that's what you get for pushing the issue
This came in while I was typing the above message. Never once have I said you were a Bitch, never once have I implied it. I have stated my motives above and if you still feel I was looking for a fight then I cant change that.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:21 PM   #171
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
*rings the bell* BONG!!!! End of Round Four.

Garnet, Brig...both of you back in your corners. Get some water. Wipe yourselves off, clean up a bit.

I'm sure I speak for most here when I say there isn't any intention of ringing the bell for Round Five.

LET'S MOVE ON!!!

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:28 PM   #172
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
LET'S MOVE ON!!!
Your right. I was simply trying to inform her that I wasn't trying to start another fight, but it was turning into one either way. So fine, its done, its over. Moving on.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:35 PM   #173
lookout123
changed his status to single

hey is there any interest in starting another PETA thread?

*ducks and runs*
Old 08-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #174
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
This is a question for Garnet, I just read the above link and have never heard of this before. Is this something that is becoming a large problem? Is it common in all states or just the South? I think cock and dog fights are bad, but those hog-dog rodeos just about take the cake for me. Just curious if thats a localized thing or a national thing I just haven't heard of yet.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #175
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm hosting one this weekend if you want to stop by.

i love hot dogs.

oh - i just reread your post. i am officially against "hog-dog rodeos". please continue about your business.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:11 PM   #176
garnet

Quote:
This is a question for Garnet, I just read the above link and have never heard of this before. Is this something that is becoming a large problem? Is it common in all states or just the South? I think cock and dog fights are bad, but those hog-dog rodeos just about take the cake for me. Just curious if thats a localized thing or a national thing I just haven't heard of yet.
Yeah, it's actually becoming really big, especially in a few of the southern states. I think we're working on a few of these cases now. It's hard to crack down on these because there isn't a lot of sympathy for pigs out there. I can't imagine why anyone why anyone would pay to see something like this--I've seen the videos, and it's really horrendous.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:17 PM   #177
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
http://www.petatv.com/inv.html
Be sure to check out the two videos of the pig farms. I'm sure you'll find them quite entertaining.
Entertaining? No. Thats just fucked up what those people did. I wonder how they would like being hit repeatedly with a metal pipe. Do you know if those guys got prosecuted, or just lost their jobs? Loosing their job is getting off too easy if you ask me.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #178
garnet

Unhappy

Quote:
Entertaining? No. Thats just fucked up what those people did. I wonder how they would like being hit repeatedly with a metal pipe. Do you know if those guys got prosecuted, or just lost their jobs? Loosing their job is getting off too easy if you ask me.
I know the guys at Belcross Farms were convicted of felonies--I believe one of the first felony convictions for cruelty to farm animals in their state. They didn't get off easy, but in my opinion should have gotten longer sentences than what they did (it was maybe a year in jail--I can't remember). And I hope you know I was being sarcastic by using the word "entertaining"--there's some really awful stuff in those videos. I really feel sorry for the person who had to film it all--it was a PETA employee who went undercover. I could never have handled that.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:48 PM   #179
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
I really feel sorry for the person who had to film it all--it was a PETA employee who went undercover. I could never have handled that.
I was thinking that while watching the footage, how could any decent human stand by and let that shit happen. I guess they have to let it play out to get the maximum amount of evidence to prosecute those guys, but still. I don't think I would have been able to stand there and not say something to those guys.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #180
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
I was thinking that while watching the footage, how could any decent human stand by and let that shit happen. I guess they have to let it play out to get the maximum amount of evidence to prosecute those guys, but still. I don't think I would have been able to stand there and not say something to those guys.
You have to be careful. There are plenty of places where saying something will get you a bit more than prosecution...

...if you actually make it to court.

Part of the problem is the lack of oversight. Most of the situations occur because the people in positions to stop this sort of thing are a part of the problem.

It's called the "Good Ole Boy Network" and it is still strong in rural areas.