The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-15-2003, 07:02 PM   #166
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How do you get this kinds of tenants, and what do they pay in rent.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:04 PM   #167
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Musicians? Pay? Bwahahahahahahahaha.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:10 AM   #168
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

RE: Bands: I have two rather nice (if somewhat antique) synths., and a rack to play them on.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:27 AM   #169
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
. . . BTW, when you get this orchestra together, I'd like to volunteer for groupie control . . .
Well then, sign me up for groupie!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #170
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
RE: Bands: I have two rather nice (if somewhat antique) synths., and a rack to play them on.
I know we've had this discussion before, but what antique synths do you have again, Maggie? I'm somewhat of an antique synth fan.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:02 AM   #171
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
I know we've had this discussion before, but what antique synths do you have again, Maggie? I'm somewhat of an antique synth fan.
I used the term "antique" jokingly; they're not real classics...although the CS1x has a lot of classic Moog and Arp sounds in it.

What I do have is on each Yamaha CS1x and PSR 510. I don't have my Paia stuff anymore...that truly would be antique. The closest I get to genuine antiques is I have the Wendy Carlo Boxed set of CD/CD-rom....lots of good Moog history in there.

http://voicenet.com/~maggie and take the "music" link...a page that desparately needs updating.

Old 10-18-2003, 10:56 AM   #172
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Hey, it is all about the sound, not the geek factor.

Okay. It is a little bit about the geek factor. Really, the thing I like about old analogue is that you can tweak sounds in real time, without diving through a bunch of menus. But I also love modern digital synths for their ease of use and the wonderfully complex patches they feature.

So why'd you part with the Paia? I got a 3620 along with the ARP 2600 I bought, but I sold the Paia because it wasn't compatible with my MiniMoog (also now sold for poverty reasons) and the 2600.

I'm always looking for a cheap CS1X in pawnshops. Yammy has made some real nice gear over the years. I'd love to find a CS 15 someday.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:41 PM   #173
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

OK, I don't mean to nag (much) but where is the GTG thread?

Unless of course, y'all don't want me there.... so you're hiding the thread... so I can't come and meet everyone.... *sniff*

Gah! That whole "taking stuff personal" thing grabbed ahold of me for a minute. Better now.

So...where was it again?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #174
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

There are two: One in Home Base created by Dagney called "GTG idea". The other is in Cellar Comments & Suggestions created by me called "The next great Cellar GTG."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:23 PM   #175
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Really, the thing I like about old analogue is that you can tweak sounds in real time, without diving through a bunch of menus. But I also love modern digital synths for their ease of use and the wonderfully complex patches they feature.
Well, the CS1x is called a "control synth" precicesly because of the knobology; it has six knobs (four dedicated to ADSR and filter parms, two programmable), a modulation wheel (like a pitch bender wheel, (which it also has) but configurable to mod other parameters, and has a jack for a pedal controller, also programmable as to parameter. Lots of realtime twiddling capablity there.

At the same time, the rest of the patching is pretty much digital; use the programming switches and memories, or beat it to death with SysExs on the MIDI port.
Quote:

So why'd you part with the Paia? I got a 3620 along with the ARP 2600 I bought, but I sold the Paia because it wasn't compatible with my MiniMoog
Paias weren't compatible with *anything*. They were also the absolute dickens to tune (including a trimpot for *each* key on the keyboard), and thermally unstable as all hell. What they were on the good side was was *cheap*, and the synth equivilant to an Altair 8800. I had my Paia gear, built from kits in 1974-1975, years before I got my first computer, long about 1978 or so.

Paias were also very, very limited and hell to patch, using real (cheap) patch cords. Mine may still be hiding in the attic of my ex-s house...or may have been discarded long ago, I don't really know.

But I really want a Korg Karma....$1,400 at Sam Ash. All I need is a job.

Old 11-02-2003, 05:58 AM   #176
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Followup

She moved out yesterday.

I'm miserable as I go through the "depression" phase, but I know, my brain tells me, that it's not like other depression and it's temporary. It comes in waves and I cry as I see bits of our lives together that are no longer there; the missing furniture, everything off the refrigerator.

The dogs are confused. The boy didn't sleep on the bed last night, which is unusual for him. He slept downstairs until I woke up in the middle of the night and carried him up. The girl is clinging to me, following me everywhere.

But it's kind of expected. I know this would happen, and I look forward to the point where the house feels like it's completely my place.

And I went through the online personals, and you know, there are some awesome women out there, all literate and talented and cute and stuff.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:15 AM   #177
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

This is the hardest time. The time between the leaving and the moving on. We're with you....

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:31 AM   #178
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think you're ready for a replacement just yet. Be a shame to find a great prize and blow it because you're an emotional heap.
Standard business practice these days is to try out a bunch of temps. If they find a particularly good one, they make them an offer.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:32 AM   #179
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

That refrigerator was a mess anyway...

Love to the dogs. Was Bean trying to get along without Pearl, like you are getting along without your woman?
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #180
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
That refrigerator was a mess anyway...
Bwahahahahahahahaha.