Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #151
rkzenrage

Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #152
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
...assuming he admits he has a problem.
WRT England and Empire, I think they pretty much have.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #153
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Empire and its loss is a vital part of the English psyche......it basically manifests in a dual way of looking at our nation and people, which allows us to simultaneously assume we are absolutely superior and totally naff/uncool.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #154
Griff
still says videotape

I wish we'd chosen to skip this particular experience, we are not real good on historical lessons.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:46 PM   #155
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
By the way, I see the Aussie's have taken delivery of their first C-17 and the Canucks are ordering some. They are a great way to get the UN peacekeeping operations staffed and supplied. I wonder if these purchases are in anticipation of lots of UN missions to come?

I suspect it was because we needed a new plane Bruce.
They never need a new plane without a mission in mind....what future operations will be and considering the capabilities they require. There are a lot of planes that offer various capabilities for a lot less money. If they are going for the "top banana", they have something in mind.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #156
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well if you want my opinion Bruce, it's probably cause they've realised they can't fly Black Hawks around here without killing people.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #157
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I assume you were being facetious, considering the C-17 is a humongous transport for moving many tons of men and materials long distances.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:26 AM   #158
Aliantha

It's true! Australian pilots can't fly black hawks.

As to the specs on the C-17, I've no idea what they're capable of or what they're used for. Very much similar to the lack of knowledge I have on what my government is intending to do with it. Maybe I'll ask my cousin who's in the RAAF...actually, he's not in the RAAF anymore. He recently started working for Metalstorm, but I'll bet he's still got a good idea about what's going on...being an officer and all at the time of his departure (2 months ago).
Old 12-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #159
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Helicopters are very complicated, difficult critters to master. Big ones like the Blackhawk, even more so. Shipboard landings are the most difficult for any aircraft.
That accident on the Kanimbla was unfortunate, but not unusual. US aircraft carriers lose an average of one aircraft per six month training cruise.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #160
Aliantha

The incident on the Kanimbla was only the latest in a long list of accidents.

Considering the relatively small size of our armed forces here, our track record is appalling.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #161
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
As to the specs on the C-17, I've no idea what they're capable of or what they're used for. Very much similar to the lack of knowledge I have on what my government is intending to do with it.
Think of a C-17 as a jet-propelled Hercules. It carries about the same tonnage as a Herc and a little faster, gets off short runways nicely.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #162
Aliantha

Oh well, I guess they're going to carry troops and things in it then. An aircraft like that would be useful when bringing emergency troops to our somewhat unsettled pacific island neighbours I would think.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #163
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Oh well, I guess they're going to carry troops and things in it then. An aircraft like that would be useful when bringing emergency troops to our somewhat unsettled pacific island neighbours I would think.
The Vietnam era C-130 is a propeller plane. Its long life because no other aircraft could perform its tasks. The C-17 is a jet version that can fly so much faster, carry maybe three times the cargo (by weight), and can still deploy to unfinished landing areas. No other aircraft that can deploy large cargos to unfinished landing strips and can do so under combat conditions. The C-17 can do this even with only a three man crew.

C-17 was another example of engineering mismanagement (and it was a long list) in MacDonnell Douglas. Massive delays on a plane that air forces so desperately needed in their primary mission - support. Meanwhile, politicians created the C-130J - latest version of a now pathetic propeller plane that was such a design disaster as to be thrown to National Guard Units and (last I had heard) could not deploy (squadron could not activate).

When it comes to military transport, C-17 would be the most versatile and useful aircraft. There is no other large transport that can deliver so close to combat, carry so much, and deliver so quickly.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #164
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Back to original topic: looks like Saddam won't see either Valentine's Day or next Ramadan unless they really want to try him some more; the death sentence has been confirmed by the higher court.

Wonder if anyone will want to publish the verse -- I gather it isn't likely to be esteemed as at all poetic -- he was writing in prison?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #165
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I hope he doesn't see the new year - then again maybe a just punishment would be to tie him out in the middle of town and let the locals have at him.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote