The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-02-2002, 01:26 PM   #136
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Gotta eat 'em all

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
Didn't I read an article in the Inky about some teenagers who embarked on a quest to identify the best cheesesteak in the area for a school report or project or some such? And where they found a good pork sandwich in the process? Somewhere near Oregon and I-95 I think it was. Anyone remember?
See Nic's link on page 9 of this thread.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:57 PM   #137
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Thank you. I knew I read that article somewhere.

I'm going to keep the link since I'm bringing a friend and his son with me the next time I come up and I want to give them a good cheesesteak, but I disagree with their opinion of Pat's. I love Pat's. Or maybe it's just that I spend my first few years just two blocks up the street? Nah!

Brian
Old 09-02-2002, 10:10 PM   #138
elSicomoro

I don't know how you can eat that slop.

Seriously though, to each his own. I personally don't like the steak itself from there. Too rubbery and fatty. I don't care a whole lot for Geno's either, but I'll take them over Pat's. If I get a day off, I DO want to try that place down on Snyder Ave. (or Oregon Ave., or wherever that place is in South Philly).
Old 09-08-2002, 05:02 PM   #139
BrianR

here I come again

Coming in next weekend. I'll have a friend and maybe his son (if we can't get a babysitter)
to eat good food and see the sights. The kid'll like the Mutter Museum and the Franklin Institute.
Dad will like other things that are geared to adults.

Anyone who wants to do a Cellar GTG someplace with good food and maybe good drinks too is invited to voice their vote for discussion. Never forget Timothy's on the Main Line has decent ribs!

Brian
Old 09-14-2002, 12:14 PM   #140
headsplice
Relaxed

If anyone is down in Delaware (*shudder*) and you want a kickass burger and malt, drop by The Charcoal Pit. There's one north on 52 (which is an exit off of I95) and is only about 20 minutes south of downtown Philly.

I hope you enjoy.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:00 PM   #141
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And then you can head back on 202 and stop by the only Krispy Kreme in 100 miles.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:43 PM   #142
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
And then you can head back on 202 and stop by the only Krispy Kreme in 100 miles.
Not for long though. The new one at Cottman and Bustleton opens November 7th. You give me a holler, and we'll grab some donuts and coffee.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:46 PM   #143
BrianR

See? SEE!

As soon as I leave town the talk picks back up.

Next time I'm not telling anyone I'm coming...I just will show up in town and you may see me at your favorite watering hole and I will ignore you!

BLEAH!

Brian
Old 11-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #144
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

FoodTV does Philly. The Best Of.
I think I might have to make a road trip. Pat's looked pretty good.
"Ah, yea, gimme a cheese wit'."
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #145
elSicomoro

Two words: "Pat's sucks."

If you must have a South Philly cheesesteak, go with Geno's (across the street from Pat's) or Philip's (on Passyunk and 24th).
Old 11-06-2002, 06:13 PM   #146
That Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Two words: "Pat's sucks."
What made them pick Pat's? Is it an historical place, or do you think they were given a little persuasion after Pat saw them at Geno's?
Old 11-06-2002, 07:45 PM   #147
elSicomoro

The official name of Pat's is "Pat's King of Steaks," which should give you some idea...it's been around about 700 years. The true locals (Shepps, Maggie, etc.) would probably better know the history behind cheesesteak development in Philadelphia.

I used to work down the street from the two places shortly after I moved to Philadelphia. I found Pat's steaks to have a bit too much fat...the steak was tough and rubbery. Geno's isn't that much better IMO, but it has a better taste. Everybody and their mom has eaten at Geno's (with the photos to prove it)...I dunno if Pat's has the same deal or not.

Truth be told, you can get a steak almost anywhere in the Philadelphia area. As you continue to consume them, you learn the difference between South Philly and Roxborough styles, the places that have been around for ages (like Pat's and Geno's), and where your personal preferences lie. I tend to favor a Roxborough-style steak, and generally go with chicken, though Maggie will shun me for it.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:37 PM   #148
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I tend to favor a Roxborough-style steak, and generally go with chicken, though Maggie will shun me for it.
I just don't think it should be called a cheesesteak. It's not a cheesesteak unless there's beef in it.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:13 AM   #149
That Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

I just don't think it should be called a cheesesteak. It's not a cheesesteak unless there's beef in it.
It probably shouldn't be called a cheesesteak if there's no cheese in it either. I saw that Pat's uses Cheez-Whiz, which has always seemed to be a very malleable plastic to me. Though I do guess it's alright if you smother it with greasy beef.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:55 AM   #150
elSicomoro

Whiz is the standard at some places (like Geno's), unless you specify otherwise. Most of the places I frequent use white American or provolone.