The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #136
Griff
still says videotape

Nice parting shot. I'm a bad person for questioning.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #137
Pie
Gone and done

It wasn't directed at you.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #138
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I wonder if this is gonna work in New Jersey?

http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

I found it from the vaccinationnation.net site. I wonder if it is connected to shaken baby stuff? Oooh all questions and no answers, I hate that.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #139
jinx
Come on, cat.

Oops! link link
Flu vaccines contaminated with H5N1

Quote:
The contaminated product, a mix of H3N2 seasonal flu viruses and unlabelled H5N1 viruses, was supplied to an Austrian research company. The Austrian firm, Avir Green Hills Biotechnology, then sent portions of it to sub-contractors in the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany.
The contamination incident, which is being investigated by the four European countries, came to light when the subcontractor in the Czech Republic inoculated ferrets with the product and they died. Ferrets shouldn't die from exposure to human H3N2 flu viruses.
Public health authorities concerned about what has been described as a "serious error" on Baxter's part have assumed the death of the ferrets meant the H5N1 virus in the product was live. But the company, Baxter International Inc., has been parsimonious about the amount of information it has released about the event.
On Friday, the company's director of global bioscience communications confirmed what scientists have suspected.
"It was live," Christopher Bona said in an email.
A skeptical person might point out that reassortment, or the mixing of 2 virus strains, would be a great way to finally get that bird flu pandemic they've been threatening us with going. Is that a more frightening though than "human error" in the lab creating this bio-weapon?

Quote:
the incident is being described as "a serious error" on the part of Baxter, which is on the brink of securing a European licence for an H5N1 vaccine.
Huh. They would have made a bunch of money if they had infected people I guess...
Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #140
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

so...if the LIVE bird flu and the regular flu vaccine had been injected as a vaccine into a human host ....'intended' to be a vaccine... but actually as an inevitable (statistically) hybrid of the two......a bridge between the fatal avian flu and the fast spreading human influenza........there would have been a HUUUUUGE demand for the vaccine against that particular pandemic. the company that held the patent of that vaccine would have been in a favorable position in the old supply and demand equation, neh?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #141
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I know. Wow. This is why I don't go for flu shots. At some point, someone is making money or else they're making the "other" strains stronger. No. Way. It's even more convoluted than I could have imagined.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #142
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Flu vaccines contaminated with H5N1
Turns out this statement is false. Read the stories carefully. The vaccines are produced in an entirely different country from where the contamination happened.

Quote:
Christopher Bona, Baxter's director of global bioscience communications, said the liquid virus product was not a vaccine and was developed for testing purposes only.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #143
jinx
Come on, cat.

Yes sorry, I just copied the headline from the first story I read which was from a fairly biased site.

Was hard to find info on, apparently wasn't big enough news for US outlets.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #144
glatt

Still, it's crazy that Baxter is so sloppy with their procedures that they mixed the two viruses and exposed their own workers to it. If you are working with a virus that is as potentially dangerous as H5N1 you should be careful.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #145
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Still, it's crazy that Baxter is so sloppy with their procedures that they mixed the two viruses and exposed their own workers to it. If you are working with a virus that is as potentially dangerous as H5N1 you should be careful.
You should see what they do with nuke secrets over at los alamos...
Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #146
sugarpop
Professor

I never get flu shots. Ever. they scare me.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #147
jinx
Come on, cat.

Influenza vaccination for healthcare workers who work with the elderly.

Quote:
BACKGROUND: Healthcare workers' (HCWs) influenza rates are unknown, but may be similar to the general public and they may transmit influenza to patients. OBJECTIVES: To identify studies of vaccinating HCWs and the incidence of influenza, its complications and influenza-like illness (ILI) in individuals >/= 60 in long-term care facilities (LTCFs).

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: No effect was shown for specific outcomes: laboratory-proven influenza, pneumonia and death from pneumonia. An effect was shown for the non-specific outcomes of ILI, GP consultations for ILI and all-cause mortality in individuals >/= 60. These non-specific outcomes are difficult to interpret because ILI includes many pathogens, and winter influenza contributes < 10% to all-cause mortality in individuals >/= 60. The key interest is preventing laboratory-proven influenza in individuals >/= 60, pneumonia and deaths from pneumonia, and we cannot draw such conclusions.

We conclude there is no evidence that vaccinating HCWs prevents influenza in elderly residents in LTCFs.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #148
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

My experience is that HCW get sick a lot less than the general public. I still get the regular flu shot each year, I did not however get the most recent swine flu shot.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #149
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Where is the study to see if HCW get sick less because the have better immune systems from being around sick people more than those who try to live in bubbles.

Last edited by classicman; 04-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #150
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Where is the study to see if HCW get sick less because the have better immune systems from being around sick people more than those who try to live in bubbles.
Purely my experience. Find your own studies.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flu, immunizations