The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #136
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

sir yes sir - ya cock!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #137
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

report to the brig. you're on report
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #138
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Again????????
(shuffles off to the brig wearing his "red shirt")
Old 02-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #139
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
(I think you're just pissed that we had more fun than you did, 'cause we're llike a COMMUNITY and all....)
We had a lot of fun, and our trip lasted several days without incident. Are you trying to say that we're not a "community" over there?
Our goals were to NOT pick fights, and we know from experience that it's not easy to board a strange forum without raising hackles and unintentionally offending people, so that's our goal... it's easy to pick fights, not so easy to show up en masse and get along.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #140
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
ummm...
BULLSHIT

(did that cover it?)

we didn't get your jokes, you didn't get ours... equal, no?
I think that, again, you're missing the point. You got butthurt because nobody thought you were funny, but that's part of the challenge of a Safari... plain trolling is EASY, and when you start trying to bait a forum to get a negative response, it's just trolling, is all I'm saying. You went to PD and started trolling, and you got the desired response... raised hackles. Fun? Sure, trolling can be fun. It's not the point of a Safari, though.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #141
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Okay, there's clearly something I'm not getting here.

I had a crappy night at work, and was unable to check in on either Cellar or on the discordian site.

I'm an R.A. Wilson fan, and pretty much know what's the game is on the Discordian side ... but as I was reading through the away team thread, it seemed as if the Natives were quite hostile out of the gate.

On the one hand, I'm sorry I missed it, but on the other, well, I'm not.

I thought that the Safari from P-D was a pretty cool thing, and as initially planned, playing back also seemed like fun.

P-D obviously had other ideas. Although the situation devolved pretty rapidly, the first shots were by them across our bow.

And people wonder why the Israelis keep shooting back at Hamas ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #142
Tiki

When I say "you", I am being quite specific... there were only a couple of posters who went in on this trip and got insulting. Things escalated when some folks didn't get the response they were looking for, so they turned from visiting to baiting. I'm just pointing this out in case you want to try again at some point... I'm not being pissy.

If you're interested in seeing the PD.com development of the Safari concept so far, just search "Safari", and there are a few threads where we discussed where we went wrong on some of the earlier ones, and when we started hitting on a formula that worked, how we refined our approach for the desired result... NOT pissing off the natives, smoothing over cultural misunderstandings (one time I got banned for mentioning taking pictures! Who knew?) and leaving the forums with our objectives intact: entertaining ourselves, learning a bit of the culture on other boards, and hopefully enticing a few new people to join us on the next Safari.

One thing to keep in mind is that only a few people from PD venture out on Safari, so the bulk of the people you were talking to on that thread had not participated in the expedition here. Another thing to keep in mind is that the existing culture of any given board is going to have in-jokes that may not sound welcoming from the outsider perspective, and reacting to those as hostility is simply going to escalate the situation.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #143
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And some people you just can't take anywhere nice.
After the grumbling here I went to take a look at the battlefield, but couldn't find anything except a couple of LJ's solo threads.

Also, I must say 20 minutes poking around the site fucking near gave me a headache with the avatars, signatures, and extraneous bullshit. My god, they're lucky to get 10 lines of actual posts on a page.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #144
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Okay, there's clearly something I'm not getting here.

I had a crappy night at work, and was unable to check in on either Cellar or on the discordian site.

I'm an R.A. Wilson fan, and pretty much know what's the game is on the Discordian side ... but as I was reading through the away team thread, it seemed as if the Natives were quite hostile out of the gate.

On the one hand, I'm sorry I missed it, but on the other, well, I'm not.

I thought that the Safari from P-D was a pretty cool thing, and as initially planned, playing back also seemed like fun.

P-D obviously had other ideas. Although the situation devolved pretty rapidly, the first shots were by them across our bow.

And people wonder why the Israelis keep shooting back at Hamas ...
Wolf, did you read the thread over there?

Of those of us who responded on the first five pages, Badges was skeptical right out of the gate. Obecalp decided it was annoying. Roger, Fomenter, Mormons, and Cramulus were enthusiastic, excited, and ready to play. Rosenstock and Fuquad made skeptical comments, but then Fuquad decided to play. Rosenstock abstained. Cainad joined in and signalled his friendliness by posting kittens. So far, that's three skeptics and six players. None of the skeptics had been to the Cellar, and only three of the six players had.

Then on page five, this:
[quote author=three of nine link=topic=19576.msg653111#msg653111 date=1233720046]
Captain, sensors do not detect any female life forms on this forum. It is possible that the entire forum has been infected with teh ghey but I am not detecting any unusual show tune activity...
[/quote]
was deemed unamusing. It got one WTF, one midget, and Roger declared the thread fail. We were not, however, at endgame, only at skepticism. No one was pissy. The natives were questioning the intent of the invading party.

One native declared the game over, but everyone else was still playing. However, the expedition decided to declare the natives "prickly".

Comments like:
[quote author=Lt. Uh-Hoo-Haa link=topic=19576.msg653134#msg653134 date=1233720748]
I believe we need to penetrate more deeply to satisfy our needs
[/quote]
[quote author=Lt. Uh-Hoo-Haa link=topic=19576.msg653131#msg653131 date=1233720685]
Initial communications indicate the Rogering reverand is the local equivalent of a redshirt
[/quote]
[quote author=Lt. Uh-Hoo-Haa link=topic=19576.msg653147#msg653147 date=1233721028]
Captain, communications are primitive... responses are delayed by interruptions to the point of them not making any sense by th time they are completed. oh wait....
[/quote]

Were not received well.

Fomenter and Mormons were still playing. Everyone else but Roger had dropped out.

Then more baiting:
[quote author=Nurse Chippie link=topic=19576.msg653176#msg653176 date=1233721925]
< takes out tricorder to anal-yze the religious leader<
[/quote]

Obecalp jabbed back a bit:

[quote author=Obecalp link=topic=19576.msg653178#msg653178 date=1233721962]
Hahhaha I GET IT THEY CHANGED THE NAMES OF THE CHARACTERS AND MADE IT REFER TO THE INTERNET
What do you want
A gold star

[/quote]

Hoo-Haa escalates:

[quote author=Lt. Uh-Hoo-Haa link=topic=19576.msg653185#msg653185 date=1233722245]
captain! We have complee interpretation of a message! text follows:

I shout because my penis is so small that even if I wasn't a nerd the chicks would laugh at me....
[/quote]

... OK, as you can probably see at this point, the situation was lost. Another of the invading crew joined in the baiting, more natives retaliated, more of the invading crew escalated, and the whole boarding went to hell.

It was really just the baited comments of two of the boarding crew members that made the whole thing go to shit, and IME it would have happened anywhere... negotiating an expedition without incident takes diplomacy.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #145
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And some people you just can't take anywhere nice.
After the grumbling here I went to take a look at the battlefield, but couldn't find anything except a couple of LJ's solo threads.

Also, I must say 20 minutes poking around the site fucking near gave me a headache with the avatars, signatures, and extraneous bullshit. My god, they're lucky to get 10 lines of actual posts on a page.
IME this forum has far too much extraneous bullshit. Try one that's really stripped-down: http://anteaterbathtubs.org/
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #146
fomentor
Vivacious Vivisectionist

xoxo you need a membership to see the section your space voyagers base thread is in.

to the rest of the away team, we are exited you guys took up the challenge and started a safari on our site, your mission can continue if you want it to, as tiki said we have worked on making our safaris better with each outing and pd is a great place to give it a work out. there were mistakes but there always will be, some times its tough to not slide into a troll but that is a part of the mission.

we don't have any hard rules but the general idea is yuck it up in your base thread and any humor threads you find on sites you visit and keep posts in serious threads intelligent on topic and in character, this and the suggestions made by tiki will help keep you on good terms with the natives.
i hope you all come back and give it another try tomorrow or at least spend some time looking around our site

no hard feelings.
fomenter aka sir john
fomentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #147
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
IME this forum has far too much extraneous bullshit. Try one that's really stripped-down: http://anteaterbathtubs.org/
No thanks, I'd have to register to see that site.

Tiki, I'm not dissing your forum but look, here's what I'm talking about. Three lines of post on a whole screen.

And of course Roger can use a whole 19 inch screen with one line of post.

I've seen a lot of forums that look the same way, probably more that do than don't. I suppose you get used to it, although the other forum I frequently visit is like that and I still find it annoying when my scrolling finger starts to cramp up just trying to follow along.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #148
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
[quote author=Lt. Uh-Hoo-Haa link=topic=19576.msg653185#msg653185 date=1233722245]
captain! We have complee interpretation of a message! text follows:

I shout because my penis is so small that even if I wasn't a nerd the chicks would laugh at me....
*chuckles* I'm sorry. I thought that was really funny.

I am sure if I started an account and could see the whole thread I'd be able to see the problem; but the segments you've posted don't explain anything to me. There's nothing there that's so awful as to suggest trolling rather than playing.

In character or not, we take our culture with us.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #149
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm still trying to work out whether it's worth it or not.
One thing we didn't do here was stomp on their thread.
We didn't tell them they were lame, tell them to fuck off, tell them they had no sense of humour or that they had failed.

I think I'll stay here. When people contain themselves to one thread here we are polite. We only get arsey when they spam the board.

And I hate it, hate it, hate it when people lie.
Claiming that seeing what you wrote in chat proves it was a hostile act?
Cunt.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-04-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #150
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I'm glad I chose not to participate. Although I doubt LJ would have allowed it.

Obviously I was the only one who misbehaved during their invasion. If I had done this, Georgia would be the blame again.
Seems to me they will ALLOW you on their forum as long as you kiss their asses, an act of which I am inept.
I think they were treated nicely considering they all reeked of trolldom.
And don't look now, but PD has a spy among us that is pming your every move. I retract that. Not a spy....an INSIDER.