The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #136
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The servers aren't at my house. They're in a half-rack in a private cage at a quality colocation facility an hour away. One server runs the site, the other runs the database. Bandwidth used is... let us just say surprisingly high. To operate this setup at Hostgator would require 2 X "basic" package at a price of $174 each, a total of $348 per month, or $148 more than it currently costs for colo and bandwidth.

It is, of course, always a simple matter to price out the flavor of the month. It's entirely another matter to run one of the net's oldest communities for two decades. The Cellar started probably some 15 years before something called "Hostgator" was dreamt up, and believe me, the Cellar will outlive the business plans of 99.99% of Internet hosting operators. It does so because of my careful and considered decisions about how best to make it happen.

These decisions, by the way, are not so much up for discussion. I don't care to hear how you think you could run a system like this on "unlimited" plans for $8 a month. If you want to try it, go ahead. Start your own. Have a ball. Put it on a virtual server. Knock yourself the fuck out.

Except you don't need two servers because you can run the database and site on the same machine if it's beefy enough which those at hostgator, or any of the dozens of other hosting companies are offering. In fact you don't even need 1 fully dedicated server to run the cellar because they're offering unlimited bandwidth, storage, and even sites for $8/month.

What it really means is every dollar you spend over and above $8/month is a dollar wasted. As far as the cellar outlasting hosting companies, I highly doubt it. It's extremely rare that any hosting company goes away. They are merely swallowed up by larger ones.

But even if this is your argument it has no merit because Amazon EC2 will allow you to setup a server in minutes on a GIGANTIC server farm with guaranteed uptime, with auto backups, upgrades, etc. and it would still cost a fraction of what you're paying.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2

Do you really think the cellar is going to outlast Amazon?

But as others say, this argument is old.

And Brianna you can go fuck yourself. This is an IT discussion and I know at LEAST as much as Tony does if not a lot more on the subject and have as much or more experience in the field. This isn't hubris, it's just a fact.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #137
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's not a discussion. Again, if you want to start your own, go for it. Final word.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #138
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I know at LEAST as much as Tony does if not a lot more on the subject and have as much or more experience in the field. This isn't hubris, it's just a fact.
...and yet you're still unemployed. it's a strange world, innit?

yeah, I know... go fuck myself
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #139
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

My employment status has nothing to do with my skill and everything to do with there being no IT jobs where I live. I've been getting calls from people in Los Angeles who recognize my skill and experience to come back to work for them and I've been weighing the decision to return to Los Angeles carefully.

I have strong business contacts out there, but I really don't want to raise my daughter there. I believe Tony had his own stint being unemployed too. That's the nature of the IT business.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #140
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
It's not a discussion. Again, if you want to start your own, go for it. Final word.
I've never disputed that this is your site Tony. Of course you can run it any way you like. You could run it just as well for less money, and I just have a hard time doing the math on why you wouldn't. It would be a lot less stressful to worry about coming up with the money every month if the bill were cheaper, and the donations you get would last a lot longer.

Clearly you've got some personal reason for wanting to spend more money and have the server where you can touch it because there is no technological reason you couldn't run it on a virtual server elsewhere just as fast and stable and secure for a lot less money.

As for me, I'll come up with the $50 to honor my bet with classicman in the next couple of weeks so you can put it toward your bills.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 AM   #141
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Monster - 43 Points (Patrick Swayze)
Shawnee - 34 Points (Ted Kennedy (23), Karl Malden (3) & Walter Cronkite (8))
Classicman – 23 Points (Ted Kennedy)
Sundae Girl - 15 Points (John Mortimer)
Spudcon – 3 Points (Karl Malden)
Hey, wait! I didn't get points for Bobby Robson! He died aged 76, so I get another 24.
I thank you.
Gets me a silver at least.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #142
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I never heard of him, but after a little research it seems that you are correct, which puts you in second place barring the death of anyone else on the list in the next 2 days.

Monster - 43 Points (Patrick Swayze)
Sundae Girl - 39 Points (John Mortimer & Bobby Robson)
Shawnee - 34 Points (Ted Kennedy (23), Karl Malden (3) & Walter Cronkite (8))
Classicman – 23 Points (Ted Kennedy)
Spudcon – 3 Points (Karl Malden)
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #143
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

It seems as though Monster kicked all of our butts by picking someone young. I'm wondering if I should change my strategy and pick 10 young people who live dangerously (Olsen Twins, Artie Lang, etc.) and hope I catch just 1 of them.

I've been going with the "so old they have one foot in the grave" method and it hasn't been paying off for me.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #144
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I got three dead people, man.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #145
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I know. That's why I'm saying a young person strategy might be better. You're batting 300 which is good enough for the majors.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #146
Shawnee123

I picked young people who didn't happen to die. Most pick young AND old.

I think 3 dead people to only one person having two dead people and then only one dead person is pretty good, especially since Swayze had admitted to a cancer with a bad prognosis...leveled the playing field.

Oh well, there's still time for Tara Reid to kick it.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #147
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Anyone who had Heath Ledger or Brittany Murphy would have won big this year. You'd get 139 points for both.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #148
Shawnee123

True. Who woulda thunk?

Those are always the surprising and sad ones.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #149
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
But even if this is your argument it has no merit because Amazon EC2 will allow you to setup a server in minutes on a GIGANTIC server farm with guaranteed uptime, with auto backups, upgrades, etc. and it would still cost a fraction of what you're paying.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2

Do you really think the cellar is going to outlast Amazon?
I never answered Radar's question because he was being a gigantic dick. The answer was yes, yes, yes! I believe that the Cellar is going to outlast Amazon. That's exactly what I thought at the time of posting and I still believe it today.

Especially today!

Yesterday Amazon's EC2 suffered a massive, massive failure which brought down many of the net's biggest websites. Affected for going on 24 hours are Reddit, Foursquare, Quora and many, many more sites and services.

Now, because their service level guarantee of 99.995% uptime was not met, these websites can demand a refund from their next Amazon bill...

a refund of 10%.

Able to do no business for an entire day and counting, and they get 10% off.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #150
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote