The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #136
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Sorry PH - the way I read it was that you were implying that we were willing to drop the bomb now. "in this war including dropping atomic bombs"
Whereas America would not drop an atomic bomb in Georgia, it was sure ready and may have planned a nuclear attack on Iran. Adm Fallon was quite blunt about saying he stopped an attack on Iran that coincided with a sudden concentration of aircraft carriers in the Gulf. That bunker busting nuclear bomb demanded by the George Jr administration back in 2003 was probably ready for deployment. To those who see war as the only solution - who would go to war without a strategic objective - Iran would have been a perfect testing ground for their new bomb.

A nuclear bomb would have made a statement of America's will - or how America views and must save the world.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #137
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I love how you are the only one knowing what America is/or is not planning to do - You really must be in the loop. Since no one else here has access to this valuable proprietary info please share the source with the rest of us.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #138
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Sorry PH - the way I read it was that you were implying that we were willing to drop the bomb now. "in this war including dropping atomic bombs"
Nah, I have no idea what the actual conversations are behind the closed doors.

Oh Classic, tw might be talking about this:

Revealed: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran
Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #139
classicman

That isn't the U.S. that's Israel.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #140
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Tw is always ready to demonstrate how big a nut he really is. Coconuts aren't in it! The man is still deranged enough to love any foreign tyrant, anywhere, any time (Any pics at home of George, or Richard, the Third?) rather than for the democracies where his sympathies should lie... or would if he acted and thought like a human being. Tyrant-lovers should be abominations even to themselves, and hasten to suicide to clean up our lovely world.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #141
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Historians agree that the war was going to end by the end of the month.
Care to cite a source for that bullshit?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #142
lookout123
changed his status to single

revisionist historians agree. of course, they also believe that Custer winked at Sitting Bull so deserved what he got.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #143
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Care to cite a source for that bullshit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate_...ly_unnecessary

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Enemy-S.../dp/0674016939

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
revisionist historians agree. of course, they also believe that Custer winked at Sitting Bull so deserved what he got.
Quote:
One of the most notable individuals with this opinion was then-General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower. He wrote in his memoir The White House Years:

"In 1945 Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate_...ly_unnecessary

Quote:
Other U.S. military officers who disagreed with the necessity of the bombings include General of the Army Douglas MacArthur, Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy (the Chief of Staff to the President), Brigadier General Carter Clarke (the military intelligence officer who prepared intercepted Japanese cables for U.S. officials),[68] and Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet.[69
Old 09-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #144
lookout123
changed his status to single

OK, so before those bombs were dropped Japan was ready to surrender and there was no expected need for allied forces to land troops in Japan?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #145
Flint
Snowflake

Wikipedia, ba ha ha!!!1 . . . [/source-bashing] . . . totally just kidding
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #146
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Japan wasn't the sort of nation to fight to the bitter end?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #147
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I love how you are the only one knowing what America is/or is not planning to do
If classicman did not entertain a wacko extremists bias, then he read this even in the Cellar. A sudden concentration of at least four American aircraft carriers appeared at the same time that Cheney was preaching war-mongering rhetoric and fears about Iran's non-existent atomic bomb.

Oh. Fox News and Rush Limbaugh did not report it? Later, Adm Fallon, commander of Central Command at that time, says he stopped an American attack on Iran. Was he talking about an attack that involved many American aircraft carriers? Well, classicman did not even know about that gaggle of American carriers including Stennis, Truman, Nimitz, and other ships including Marine assault carriers Bataan and Boxer. classicman also did not read Adm Fallon's statement. All this was public knowledge available only to those who know by learning. And still classicman did not bother to learn facts. classicman would again attack others rather than admit he was again ignorant. classicman - did the extremist party propaganda network forget to inform you about an event 16 months ago? Or is it just easy to look smart by attacking the messenger?

People who also do not deny American torture and international kidnapping also knew this in March 2007. classicman ignored read news that contradicts his political agenda? What are we doing in Iraq?

So how do you and UG greet one another? Zieg Heil or Welcome Comrade?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #148
classicman

Look twit - oh nevermind. You aren't worth the effort to push the keys down to type the words.

Funny how the only link you put into the above post is one to yourself - full of conjecture, assumptions and allegations with ZERO proof to back it up - just fucking fuck the fuck off. Oh and tell me do you and radar do the secret pinky shake each time you meet?

Sorry - couldn't resist.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #149
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Of which the title is. "Debate over the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki".
That tells me historians do not agree

Quote:
He has mined Japanese and Russian literature and documentation and, despite much that is based on surmise, provides fresh insight into the extraordinary inability of Japanese leaders to surrender, and into Stalin's machinations aimed at maximizing Soviet territorial gains in East Asia.
So after 60 years and detailed research into Jap and Red archives, he's come up with this surmise.
Now, you think Truman should have had the same surmise, with access to neither? Get real.
That's the same link as the first one. Ike was in Europe, hardly in a position to know what was happening in Japan. Don't forget, while we are at war, the military brass are heros. But when the war ends they are yesterdays news, and sometimes unemployed.

The bottom line is, your statement;
Quote:
Russia and the former USSR have been bitter enemies ever since the end of WWII and the US has shown that it will be willing to do anything to get the upper hand in this war including dropping atomic bombs on already beaten countries and supplying Islamic extremist with weapons to fight against their Soviet invaders.
is preposterous.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #150
classicman

Quote:
Look twit - Funny how the only link you put into the above post is one to yourself ...-
I'd like to add a correction to my above post - just to be completely accurate.

...which has another link to another one of your own posts which is also full of conjecture, assumptions and allegations with ZERO proof to back it up. Quoting yourself doesn't necessarily make any of your statements/opinions or posts any more accurate, nor does it count toward backing up your unfounded allegations.
The more things change the more they stay the same.