The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #136
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ah shut up...it's growing back already.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #137
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Funny...I shaved my goattee off yesterday, along with my sideburns.
I shaved mine a few days ago. I like to do that periodically to mess with people, it had been 3 years since I last saw my chin (and now I know why I like to hide it. ) I don't think I trimmed it (besides mustache trim) for over 6 months so it was getting quite long. BUT NOBODY I MEAN NOBODY IS TAKING THE BURNS :P
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:34 PM   #138
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

Nice factory pics.

Do you have any of the actuals?
And for the doubting Thomsina...

Mossberg Model 590: Ghostring sight, 20" barrel, 9 round capacity

And I feed it:

-Federal: 2 3/4" #4 shot for standard use

-Federal: 2 3/4" #8 shot for home defense and home entry

-Federal: 3" magnum DSFSHP slug for zombies, cars, and crackheads

Glock Model 22: 2 pre-ban 15 rd magazines, 3 post-ban 10 rd magazines

I carry it in:

-Fobus GL2T level 2 paddle holster

And I feed it:

-Cor-Bon high velocity hollow points

and

-Black Talons

in a staggered load for some double-tap lovin'

And the knife is a hand made special from my uncle who made them from cross-cut saw blades. The blade is 12" long with a full tang, hardwood handle and brass riveted.

Is that better Wolf?

Old 02-14-2004, 12:50 PM   #139
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Much! Very sweet indeed.

I have a fobus holster or two, but don't use them for regular carry ... my basic principle is "Why trust a $600 gun to a $20 holster?"

DeSantis makes a very nice product, reasonably priced (usually around $70-80) and are available in a variety of configurations to suit your stylistic choices. I prefer an open holster (friction hold) to one with a thumb break, but YMMV.

My carry load in .40 are the Cor-Bons also ... rated best for the caliber for one-shot-stop. Reasonably priced, too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #140
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Much! Very sweet indeed.

I have a fobus holster or two, but don't use them for regular carry ... my basic principle is "Why trust a $600 gun to a $20 holster?"
Plastic is cheap. I like that they make a great product out of an inexpensive material and don't lose their minds on the price.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #141
mrnoodle
bent

mmmm. guns.

currently carrying a Springfield mil-spec .45 but it's cooler than a regular mil spec because it's high capacity! And it came with 2 15-rounders, which was kind of the selling point for me, with magazine prices what they are. Uses the same double-stack mags that Para-Ordnance uses. Nice chunky grip for my long skinny fingers. Cleaned up the trigger so it's ready for competition (at least at my level of skill). All it needs now is an ambidextrous safety and a set of PT triple-bar enhanced night sights and it will be my primary sidearm. Oh yeah, I also need to buy a mercury recoil reducer - incidentally, these things are the absolute shit. Troubleshooter, you should put one in your 22. I've had one in my 21 since the beginning and it really eliminates that weird Glock recoil.

I feed it Remington Golden Sabers in 185gr. and it lives in a Galco Fed Paddle.

Got a bunch more, but I'm tired of writing lol.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:04 PM   #142
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Who makes that recoil reducer?
Old 02-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #143
mrnoodle
bent

There's a couple of companies that make them, but Harrt's is the best, IMHO. All it is is a steel tube filled with mercury, suspended in which are stainless steel ball bearings. The tube replaces your current guide rod (and has a better spring on it, for that matter). When you fire, the balls move within the mercury and soak up lots and lots of muzzle flip.

Costs about 90 bucks retail, but you might be able to get it from Brownell's for much less. Gun dealers want to make you think there's some kind of smithing involved, but there's not.

Ahh. here's the website
Old 02-14-2004, 01:15 PM   #144
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Dude, that's double-plus groovy.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:20 PM   #145
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm totally digging that as well.

And it's available for my model.

And some of my other toys.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #146
mrnoodle
bent

ain't it?

Hell, what was I thinking? The one you really need it for is the mossy. It goes in the buttstock, is much beefier than the pistol version. 00 buck heaven.

That one will cost you more. The part is cheaper, but you need a competent smith to install it correctly.

If you want to try it yourself, here's what ya do:

Take off the buttplate. It looks like you have a hollow stock, but there might be some additional material you have to take out of the inside to install this thing. If the buttplate is glued on, you'll have to buy another one, reshape the end of your stock, and reglue it. If you're lucky, it will just be screwed on.

Once you have the space cleared for the reducer, fill the buttstock with liquid acrylic and let it set up (takes anywhere from 5 hours to a week depending on environmental conditions :P
The acrylic does two things: holds the reducer and adds a pound or so to the butt end of the gun. With a long barrel, that's good for balance. With a combat shotgun, you might feel a little off-kilter with it..judgement call. The additional weight also helps reduce recoil, though.

Drill out a hold *slightly* wider than the diameter of the reducer, wrap the reducer in enough paper so that it's so snug you have to use a mallet to lightly tap it in (that way it won't rattle around).

Put it all back together and go shoot shit.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:26 PM   #147
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I saw that you don't have to go through that crap for a Remington 870 ... oh lucky day.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #148
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I'd take it to a smith. I don't presently have the facilities to do all of the stuff I want to do.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:17 AM   #149
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Quote:
mrnoodle said you should put one in your 22. I've had one in my 21 since the beginning and it really eliminates that weird Glock recoil.
What weird Glock recoil ???? Glocks are VERRRRY well balanced . One round will give you recoil , 2-3 in a rapid order will give you a raise only . As they tought us in the USMC on 1911's
" aim at his balls and click off 2-3 rounds quickley , after the last round you will be aiming at his head for a quick follow up shot if need be " Lots of soft tissue up that line of attack, and if dude has on a vest he will be on his ass by then any way .

Glock 23 with 165gr Federal Hydro-shocks . Fobis padle holster .
Hydro-shocks have been around for a long time , they rate VERRRRRY well on the one shot stop rateings , allways have , all ways will !!!!!!

129 gr Federal Hydro-shocks .38+P in my wifes .357 SW 649 .
Old 02-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #150
mrnoodle
bent

I always found the Glocks to have a weird, almost twisty characteristic to them when fired. They don't fit my hand nearly as well as the either the single stack 1911 or my para-style, though. And I'm still biased against polymer stocks, but that's an emotional thing rather than practical.

As with most shooting-related problems, the problem is usually the shooter, not the equipment, so I'm willing to take a hit on this one

However, Hydrashoks....eww. Too many stories about clothing clogging them up. A cop buddy from Texas even stopped one with nothing but a leather jacket and a hooded sweatshirt. Granted, it was a 9mm round that hit the zipper and travelled around to his back within the lining of the jacket (post terminal ballistics is a chancy thing with any 9mm). But I'm skeert.

.edit: of course, i went looking on the internet for facts to back me up, but i couldn't find any. bah.

Golden Sabers have that nifty scalloped jacket that really tears stuff up. More and more people are moving to them, especially as an alternative for revolver shooters whose guns aren't +P rated

Last edited by mrnoodle; 02-15-2004 at 03:39 PM.