The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

Ah, the days before internet, 24hour news, tv's in the classroom, and smartphones.

We found out about the Reagan shooting when a parent drove to the school and told the principal who made an announcement over the PA and then played a radio broadcast for us to hear.

We cound out about the Challenger explosion when a parent drove to the school and interrupted our social studies class to tell us. Mr Ditmar ran down the hall and snagged one of the tv's before word got out and we got to watch the news coverage.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yeah, it kind of boggles the mind, the difference. For example...we would have seen all those pictures from the Reagan shooting over and over if we had the kind of tech we have now. I bet that's the first time I'd seen them.

I remember watching a Red's game in the science laboratory in my Catholic elementary school. At least I think I remember that. Must have been WS playoffs or something?

Well, yeah, but a substitute nun once said we were going to the lavatory and I was SO excited because I was sure we got to watch another ball game. Imagine my surprise when she led us past the lab doors and to the bathroom. Pretentious little nun.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
Cloud

I remember the OJ Simpson trial verdict, too.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was in Philly - Swarthmore, to be exact, watching TV at my sisters house.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I was in Philly - Swarthmore, to be exact, watching TV at my sisters house.
That's minutes from my current house!

I can vaguely remember the JFK, RFK, and MLK assassinations. I can remember being woken up early to see some space program event, but I have no idea what it was. I was at work when the challenger exploded, listened to coverage on PBS. I have no idea where I was when Dutch was shot, though I was disappointed he survived. Elvis? Didn't care. I was visiting the in-laws at the beach when Princess Di died.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #21
glatt

Can you remember where you were when JFK Jr. flew his plane upside down into the ocean in the fog? It was a lazy morning, and I couldn't get off the couch. All the network channels were showing the search boats on the water, going back and forth.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Can you remember where you were when JFK Jr. flew his plane upside down into the ocean in the fog? It was a lazy morning, and I couldn't get off the couch. All the network channels were showing the search boats on the water, going back and forth.
Same with the Columbia disaster.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #23
lookout123
changed his status to single

I was with one of my captains in the AF who was devastated to see it on the news. He and Jr took surfing vacations together every 3 months for a number of years.

I didn't believe him at first either but then Jr walked into our building to meet him for lunch.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
I just remember thinking "no freaking way." I mean, the guy was on Seinfeld. It was so surreal.

I remember when Sonny Bono and some Kennedy got killed skiiing into trees and a message went around that said "We will continue to kill one celebrity per week until you curtail logging practices. Sincerely, The Trees."
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
roundoff
Person Who Has Posted

I didn't know anyone had shot Reagan until around 1999 when I went to college. But what can I say, I was homeschooled. Never seemed like a big deal, though, since it was history by then. He survived, meh.
roundoff is offline   Reply With Quote