The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

ah.

lots of non-computery people like it though. It's supposed to be tacky, I think.....
Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Tulip
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Do you mean with a fancy pattern or just the triangle eyes and nose and a zig-zag or smiley mouth?
Just triangle eyes and nose and a smiley mouth.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
monster

then just visit your local dollar store and get some nice not-so-dangerous-to-kids tools and let rip
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #19
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I've seen pumpkin carving "kits" in stores before. Seems like they had patterns for different faces and kid safe plastic knives and saws. Never tried one, though.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #20
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Brandywine Cemetary is already up and looking awesome.... the website not only has pics of the finished product, but a work in progress report too.

I've never heard of this place, but it looks cool.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #21
monster

@ Tulip draw the face on first to see if you like it.

Got pumpkins for my kids last night. They'll sit on the porch -hopefully unmolested by squirrels- until nearer the night, though. Otherwise they'll be horiid/gone by Halloween. They were on sale and I'm fed up of waiting until when I think it's the appropriate time to buy them (a couple of days in advance) and there being just the "character" pumpkins left.....
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #22
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I've never heard of this place, but it looks cool.
it is. It's a small bi-level in the middle of a sixties neighborhood less than 5 minutes walk from my house, so you're definitely forgiven for not having heard of it! I just find it so cool that this is right in the middle of a neighborhood and done for fun. He starts setting it up at the end of August.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I find almost all flash use on web sites useless and/or tacky.
Flash sites suck. Whoever thought they were the next best thing are sadly mistaken. Flash sites suck.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #24
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I usually carve my pumpkins the day of Halloween, set it outside until around 8:30 when we stop giving out candy. Then I cut it up and put it in the fridge. Then next day I can cook it up and use it for cookies, muffins, pies and stewed veg. Once its to that stage, I can freeze it to use later. We have never gotten sick cutting it up around 3-4 and leaving it outside in the cool/cold for 4-5 hours...
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I wanna! I wanna!
I'm going to buy a pumpkin kit (stencils and tools - haven't seen a stencil only kit here but they're £1.99 so I'll forgo my monthly McDonalds breakfast) and pumpkin. I'll have an afternoon's pleasure carving it... or get Dads to do it and have an afternoon's pleasure watching him and reliving my childhood.

And If'n I'm allowed, I'll put it out the front. And if not I'll (grudgingly) offer it to my niece & nephew. In the hopes they refuse it and I can have it in our kitchen all night! Yay!

When we were younger - and poor, as I've said countless times - Dads carved out a grapefruit for us instead. Not that we usually had grapefruit, but it was smaller, cheaper and more obviously edible tham pumpkin. We carried it round on a saucer and were the envy of the neighbourhood. Simpler times.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Don't fret, Sundae. I've heard that the first jack o'lanterns were carved out of turnips. Get yerself a turnip!

Voila!

The first Jack-o-Lanterns were made in Ireland out of hollowed-out turnips. A piece of coal was inserted into the hollow and the "lantern" was meant to guide the way of poor old Jack who wasn't welcome in Heaven but was also barred from entering Hell for tricking the devil. According to legend, the devil gave this crude lamp to Jack so that he could walk the earth forever in limbo. When the Irish brought this tradition to America, they apparently decided that pumpkins were much easier to carve than turnips, and the modern-day Jack-o-Lantern was born!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Baldrick
Old 10-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #28
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Baldrick o' Lantern?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #29
monster

we used turnips when we were kids. Pumpkins just weren't around in the UK then. and hell, yeah they are so much easier to carve. Just before we left the UK there were pumpking at hallowen, but they were the pie pumpkins which are still a lot of hard work. Give me the huge hollow ones! (Pumpkin is not edible imo)

Last edited by monster; 10-17-2009 at 08:06 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #30
jinx
Come on, cat.

Pumpkin that's good to eat doesn't look like pumpkins that you carve.