The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The Healing Power of Food

When I was a wee lass (well, 16) I had it in mind that I would love to own a sort of funky tea shop/sandwhich place. All the details for the building and decor and food/drink; type of employee I'd like, etc. were there. I never did a thing with it and a few years later, these little places were popping up all over the place. I never went with my gut to open a place.

I've always adored Halloween. Halloween wasn't really big after the 70's scare of razor blades in apples, etc. (those horrid "Harvest Parties" became vogue- or, worse yet - those "Hallowed KING parties" for the BornAgains...allow me to go off on a tangent rant here and say/rant: just because you RENAME a pagan holiday and pretend it's about Christ doesn't mean it isnt' a pagan holiday/endrant) I should have invested in Halloween when I was so in love with it because a few years later it hit really BIG. There were (and still are) stores wholly dedicated to just Halloween stuff. Missed that one.

I used to work in a clinic and I saw a new insurance-type emerge --- it was orginally called Western Ohio and it was a type of HMO that GM employees in our area got. They were encouraged to come to this Doc-in-a-Box place instead of ER's; they used us as family doctors tho we certainly weren't that but we were convenient as all hell and they paid anywhere from nothing to 10$ for the co pay. It was complete bullshit as mothers would bring their 5 year olds in who'd done nothing but skin their damn knee because it was cheap and made them look like "good" mothers. (around this time if a doc didn't Rx an antibiotic for those abrased knees he'd have holy hell AND the company pres to answer to--thus the emergence of the SuperBugs ---another rant)

I often thought, hey, I should buy stock in this insurance company. I never did. A few years later, they were bought out by a huge conglomerate and stock holders made five times their investment back.

How can someone so consistently NOT do what her instincts are telling her to do?

I'm in a mood today, I guess. Rather incoherent, too; stayed up late!

anyone else ever feel this...wistfulness?

OH! My original point! I"ve been thinking a LOT about how food is so IN right now. The whole Julie & Julia Project, etc. I'm wondering if I should try to open a little cafe...one that nourishes the SOUL as well as the body, you know?

I've no business experience. I'm probably nuts.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote